News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Oil filters

Started by yambutt, September 08, 2017, 01:26:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yambutt

I still have the stock oil filter cartridge and was wondering if anyone has heard of perf-form oil filters, glass enhanced and made in the usa, i was using wix but they seem to have gotten a little longer and have trouble getting them to fit in the cartridge where as the perf-form filter fits perfectly,  but just wondering if its a good filter.....thanks

racerrad8

I have not heard of the perf-form filter, so I cannot comment on it.

I can say I am pleasently surprise how many of the FLO Stainless Steel Canister Filter I have sold in the past year.

Yeah, the Wix filter changed sometime last year. I sold one to theLeopard and he called and said he could not get it to stop leaking & seal. I went out and checked the filter. Wix made the center section longer which bottomed out the spring and did not let the housing completely seal.

I now only sell the OEM Yamaha Cartridge Oil Filter  or the aforementioned FLO filter to make sure I don't have that problem ever again.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

yambutt

Randy they've been around for a good while now, but I'm thinking about switching over to your spin on filter, what are the benefits of that, I have no problem putting my cartridge filter back on, but I believe the spin on would probably hold a little more oil but you would still have the same amount in your engine at the time of running......I think...lol, I just don't like the look of the clutch slave with the spin on is in place, but I've only seen pics, and if there's a benefit with the spin on, then maybe I should go with your spin on .........oh the wix filter I tried to install snapped your magnet washer in half when I tried to tighten it down

yambutt

1981. Our focus is on producing the best motorcycle oil filters in the world. We use premium quality materials. Prime Tin-Plated steel end caps, special high temperature plastisol, Microglass \ Synthetic enhanced saturated filter media are some of the features Perf-form Filters offer, features that will prolong engine life and performance. Features you won't find in other motorcycle oil filters on the market.
A little brief on the perf-form filter......j 601 is the one thats for our bikes, they fit perfectly

yambutt

Schurkey

Maybe this isn't important.  It's about all I can contribute to this thread.

Photo of NAPA (sourced from WIX) 4937 "Yamaha FJ" oil filter compared to WIX 24940 "Honda CB1100F" oil filters.  Converting WIX and NAPA numbers back and forth is a simple matter of adding or removing the "2" at the beginning of the part number.  The dimensions I found for the two filters show a few thousandths difference in height and diameter--but I don't see it with the naked eye.

Both filters are made in Poland, evidenced by ink-stamping on the end cap of each filter.  The Yamaha filter was purchased last week--and had to be "special ordered" out of Chicago because the local store doesn't stock them.  The Honda filter is one I've had for a year or more.

Cursory examination leads me to suspect that the filters are identical, the part-number difference is due to the O-rings supplied.

Schurkey

I put a digital caliper on the two filters.  Recognizing that the end-caps are stamped sheetmetal (not precision-made) they measure the same diameter give-or-take a couple of thousandths of an inch.

The center grommets are the same size as best I can measure--it's hard to put the caliper jaws inside without distorting the rubber. 
I did not measure the depth that the grommets are recessed.  Forgot about that.  Sorry.

There's a minor difference in height.  The Honda filter is about 0.030 taller (roughly a spark-plug gap) than the Yamaha filter.  I only have the two filters to measure--I don't know if there's an intended, designed-in difference, or if the difference is just within their manufacturing tolerance.

racerrad8

The change in the Wix filter came at the center recess. They raised the center of the filter so the filter bottoms out before the housing seats. As you said, difficult to measure with the rubber grommet, but the Yamaha filter is recessed approximately .250". (see photo)

If the effort to eliminate any issue with aftermarket filters, I brought in only OEM Yamaha Cartridge Oil Filters to prevent issue for you guys.

Randy - RPM

Randy - RPM