News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Who is still running the oem cartridge oil filter on their FJ's and why?

Started by Pat Conlon, September 08, 2017, 11:58:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yambutt

Quote from: simi_ed on September 09, 2017, 01:13:07 AM
A superior spin-on filter?  Yes, it's out there. Made by Amsoil. The Ea15k20 fits the FJ with Randy's spin-on mod. How many would you like?

http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=80.0
I love all amsoil products, im a amsoil dealer, and yes that ea filter is the best, but do all the pressure ratings work for our bikes, are they a strain on our oil pumps...just asking cause i dont know

yambutt

Hey pat i think thats how i blew my back out, i removed and installed that motor by myself and had to pick it up and carry it to the pallet......only about 5ft away.....but damn that motor is a monster

yambutt

Ed what about the eaom series motorcycle filter, their the same as the Ea15 filter

mr blackstock

I still run the original oil filter set up.  I never found changing the filter particularly annoying. I considered converting to the spin on, but unless I could find a similar quality filter as the Yamaha filter, I would think the conversion would be counter productive.
I imagine the U.S market has a large supply of quality filters, but here in Aus we have repco or OEM spin ons, like BMW, vw, ford, etc.

The way I figured it, I would stick with the original setup and save the hassle of finding a decent filter in black.

And I am still running an original '85 front end too.
Squeaky wheels always get the grease...

Yamaha FJ1100 1985

yambutt

Quote from: Charlie-brm on September 08, 2017, 01:59:13 PM
Because the 33 year old factory manual says . . .   (just kidding).
Pat how do you look for a spin on filter that will work for our fj's, do we have to match up the blow by pressure and if so what is the blow by pressure rating  on our oil by pass bolt.
For the season we get in Ontario, which to me seems to be getting shorter every year, the requirement to change the cartridge is just not that frequent and not a big a deal to me, in the larger scheme of things. There are several other chores I seem to get bogged down with on the bike and elsewhere that can be about as "inconvenient" or messy. I almost ordered the spin on 3 years ago but I think it was seeing the shipping at checkout being about the same as the product that dissuaded me. Cost to benefit, things like improved lighting and stainless lines would get the nod from me instead. And UNI dual pod filters - now those I'm happy I bought.

Tor-King

I am still running the OEM cartridge style filters as I have yet to exhaust my supply.  That and I found a source that is cheaper than the spin on type.  With all of that said, I have Randy's adapter sitting here waiting to be installed on one of the FJ's...
Dean
1993 Yamaha FJ1200
1988 Yamaha FJ1200
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
1984 Honda Nighthawk S 750
1972 Yamaha XS-2
1972 Honda CT70
1974 Honda CT70
1992 Yamaha DT50 MX
2012 Honda CBR250R
2008 Honda CBR125R

Bezmozek

I still run stock too.
Here in Europe HiFlo HF401 costs less than 5USD, is available nearly everywhere and honestly, aesthetics too, original filter is hidden and integrated in engine design. Spin on seems to me weird little bit  :wacko1:
´85 FJ 1100

FJmonkey

Nothing wrong with keeping it stock. At first I thought it might look out of place but with the filter location, you really don't notice a black spin-on. And anyone that does notice will likely be one of us. Keep the comments coming.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Alf

Quote from: Bezmozek on September 11, 2017, 10:21:12 PM
I still run stock too.
Here in Europe Hi Flo HF401 costs less than 5USD, is available nearly everywhere and honestly, aesthetics too, original filter is hidden and integrated in engine design. Spin on seems to me weird little bit  :wacko1:

Yes, your comments about HF401 filter are true. But even with the difference on price, I assure you that first time you change the oil with the spin-on, you don't get back with the OE

And with the spin on fitted, the clutch pushrod dint get road debris, go cooler (with less oil seal hardened due to the heat), the engine go cooler too due to containing more oil with the HF202 filter fitted (around 3-5ºC, checked) and with more surface of the cartridge oil filter

Really, I'm in love with the spin-on. Its worth every pence, cent or whatever your currency is. Its the first thing that I've fitted to my new 1TX

Spin on look weird at the pics. The look is much better when fitted, even a bit "tricky" and I like it. And I must confess that I was not too convinced when I bought it about the aesthetics

I hope this helps

weymouth399

I only run the stk oil filters.
#1 don't like the look of the spin on filters
#2 personally don't think they flow enough oil? Possibly on a bike but definitely not on a legend. Next time you have one off, put the filter up to the adapter. Check out where the oil flow holes are?
#3 I use the cleanable filter that goes in stk canister, I can see if there's any contaminants in my oil. Available at RRC.

Bob w
84 FJ 1100
86 FJ1200
89 FJ1200
5  FJ POWERED race cars
76 LB80 Chappy
93 KX500 ice for sale
00 KX500 ice/dirt
04 KDX220 dirt for sale
04 KX500 ice
08 KLX450 ice/road
72 CT90x2 for sale

ribbert

Quote from: FJmonkey on September 11, 2017, 10:28:44 PM
Nothing wrong with keeping it stock. At first I thought it might look out of place but with the filter location, you really don't notice a black spin-on. And anyone that does notice will likely be one of us. Keep the comments coming.

I agree. When I first installed it I thought it looked funny next to the slave, but when I stood back it matches perfectly with the starter end cap and the crankcase cover, 3 round things. As Mark said, with a black filter you don't really see it anyway.

However, this is the real winner for me, no oil all over the collector, fairing and side stand switch.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

MOTOMYSZOR

Despite all mods on my FJ I never intended to change OEM oil filter to spin-on.

I just don't see any sense - financial or technical. And with properly shaped piece of plastic pushed in between engine and frame it is also clean job.
We Are The People Our Parents Warned Us About

gumby302ho

I use the spin on with the stainless re-usable flo filter, never need to worry about buying filters again period or adding to landfill, It looks trick with nice cooling fins and an extra magnet right inside the filter, I love it, yes it was costly but its my FJ man! When I am dead and gone someone else will enjoy it I am sure.

balky1

I still use cartridge because, like someone mentioned before, they are cheap here. HiFlo for less than 5€. And no need to worry about the waste since most of the EU contries sepparate the waste and you have the facilities where you can put in the right bin.

FJ 1100, 1985, sold
FJR 1300, 2009