News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Well That Escalated Quickly.

Started by Urban_Legend, September 09, 2017, 05:50:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Urban_Legend

Hey Aall. Been a while since I put something up about my bike.

I pulled her into the shed yesterday after wok to pull the carbs so I could install the new intake boots, as my originals were past their use by date. After removing the carbs and heat sheild I stood back and had a look at the sorry state of the paint on the motor. I painted the motor 2 years ago in a flat black, and never really liked it, as it always looked dirty and was now coming off in places. :dash2:

So with no time like the present in mind, I pushed the bike outside and gave her a good wash with the pressure cleaner. Then dried the motor off with the compressed air.

This really revealed the state of things. Off came the exhaust and oil cooler and out came the masking tape and paint prep solution. Many hours later we were all masked up and clean ready for new paint

Quick trip to the auto shop and now armed with some gloss black engine enamel, lets spray.

so now with the paint drying I look at the RPM exhaust sitting on the floor, looking really dirty. Hey great idea, Lets clean that up.

and reinstalled

So now that the motor is clean and shinny and so is the exhaust, my forks are letting the bike down. I painted them black when I did the original build, but the paint cops a lot down near the wheel. Time to polish them too.

With all of this happening, I keep looking at the battle scars on the fairing. THAT'S IT!!! RESPRAY TIME :wacko2:

A computer savy friend has done up a colour scheme for me on photoshop. I have a tight time line for this, but I hope with the new decals i have and with good prep she will come out sweet.

More to follow
Mark

Edit. I can see my photos.....arg
Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor
92 FJ 1200 - Project bike. Finished and sold.
84 FJ1100 - Project bike.

Urban_Legend

Here are some photos. I hope they aren't up twice.
Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor

FJmonkey

Nice job, great way to make it your own.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Urban_Legend

Got the forks all polished up today. Happy with the result.
Mark
Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor

Old Rider

Nice work! i have also been painting my fj this year bit by bit started in april  so far i have painted everyting on the bike exept the front calipers and the footrest brackets and the lower fork legs.I painted in the orginal red and white sheeme but used inferno orange (camaro color) on the red and starfire white pearl on the white parts.im planning to polish up the lower forks .Are you going to clearcote the forks?

ZOA NOM

Rick

Current:
2010 Honda VFR1200 DCT (Full Auto!)
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
1987 Porsche 911 Carrera (Race)
1988 Porsche Carrera (Street)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1993 FJ1200ABS (RIP my collar bone)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca

Urban_Legend

Are you going to clearcote the forks?

The consensus seem to be leaving them in their raw polished state, and polish again as needed. Other FJ owners who have done the clear coat thing said it is a pain with stone chips and then the clear flaking off. The clear coat can yellow as well.

So I will have to mate Autosol polish my friend....not that it really bothers me.

Mark
Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor

ribbert

Err... the previous post was meant to be on the fork clear coating thread, not this one.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

Urban_Legend

I figured that Noel.  :biggrin:
Will see his long it takes for me to get sick of polishing the forks.
Mark
Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor