News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Instruments Upgrade Possibilities

Started by timleslie1957, September 12, 2017, 10:25:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timleslie1957

Greetings FJ Bikers ...

So I have had my '89 FJ1200 for a couple of weeks now and I absolutely LOVE it.  I am 59 years young and am now able to acquire most of the bikes I longed for in my earlier years but could never afford!  Now on to the meat on the bone ...

My gas gauge is inoperative and the speedometer jumps wildly.  Tach is fine.  Before I go the "fix the stock gauges route", I am trying to price out and consider alternatives.  I have read in a few places that XJ900 gauges (years?) would work and are more reliable.  I have also seen a few riders opt for gauges from Speedhut.  This all being said -

a)  Anyone ever done the xj900 swap out?  Any info would help.
b)  Those who have done the Speedhut route or are familiar with it; is there any way I could get the particulars on the project?  (parts, procedures, etc.)
c)  Anyone know of another alternative to putting white faced gauges in this bike?  I would like to keep the stock unit and replace gauges but would not be averse to an entire component replacement (kind of like a plug in).

I have snooped around a bit and find limited information scattered throughout our site here and must apologize if this is repetitive.  I do appreciate any guidance and help or recommendations / suggestions.  This site is HUGE and as a new FJ owner I consider myself very fortunate to have this resource.  THANK YOU ALL!   :i_am_so_happy:

Tim Leslie
"A bike and curvy roads ... priceless."

big r

Check with Aviation Fred. He did a complete gauge swap and I believe he went the speedhut route. It looks awesome on his bike

timleslie1957

Tim Leslie

Firehawk068

Quote from: big r on September 12, 2017, 10:28:48 AM
Check with Aviation Fred. He did a complete gauge swap and I believe he went the speedhut route. It looks awesome on his bike

It "DID" look awesome on his bike................(before it was stolen)

There are a couple others also with write-ups on aftermarket gauges I believe.

Stay tuned for info on the XJ-900 "Diversion" Gauge-cluster compatibility...................
Alan H.
Denver, CO
'90 FJ1200

timleslie1957

Quote from: Firehawk068 on September 12, 2017, 11:38:52 AM
Quote from: big r on September 12, 2017, 10:28:48 AM

It "DID" look awesome on his bike................(before it was stolen)

There are a couple others also with write-ups on aftermarket gauges I believe.

Stay tuned for info on the XJ-900 "Diversion" Gauge-cluster compatibility...................

:Facepalm:  Thanks.  I look forward to it.  I am going to try to contact Aviation Fred now. In the meanwhile. looking at repairs for fuel gauge and speedo.  Interesting site.
Tim Leslie

Alf

Quote from: timleslie1957 on September 12, 2017, 10:25:29 AM

a)  Anyone ever done the xj900 swap out?  Any info would help.

Hi

You have pics of the mod done in my website, ADD-ONS section. The Divi clocks fit straight on inside the FJ dashboard, and you can choose between the inner panel with the idiot lights, leaving FJ-ish or XJ900

I hope it helps

Alf

FJ_Hooligan

The biggest problem you will have with the XJ 900 is availability in the US.

They were only imported in 1983 IIRC.
DavidR.

Alf

I´ve just bought a 2nd hand one in Britain for around $40, cheaper than in Spain

aviationfred

I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

timleslie1957

I am wondering if anyone has ever removed (successfully) the cluster lens of the stock gauge package?  After totalling costs for the (superb but expensive) gauge package from Speed Hut, I am looking at alternatives.  I know - told ya so!  LOL  I am thinking to remove lens, use individual bezel lenses for the stock gauges, repair what I have - jumpy speedo, nonfunctional gas.  Just brainstorming.  Any thoughts?  :wacko3:
Tim Leslie

red

Quote from: timleslie1957 on September 13, 2017, 08:56:34 AMI am thinking to remove lens, use individual bezel lenses for the stock gauges, repair what I have - jumpy speedo, nonfunctional gas.  Just brainstorming.  Any thoughts?
Tim,

A jumpy speedometer is usually a cable that is bent sharply somewhere, or needs lubrication, or needs a new cable.  They are still available, and reasonably cheap.  Route the cable in large bends only, no sharp curves anywhere, and use Ty-Wraps to keep the cable in place.

The inop gas gauge is likely caused by corroded wiring terminals at the sender or gauge, or a damaged wire.  Check the ground lines to the gauge cluster, and run a dedicated ground wire to the gas gauge if needed.
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

timleslie1957

Great advice!  I will act on this promptly.  I am thinking now of the cracked lens ... any ideas?  Remove lens and put glass over gauges?  ??? :dash1:
Tim Leslie

racerrad8

Randy - RPM

giantkiller

Here's mine I just used cheap trailtech. And a gas and voltmeter I got off fleabay. Cut the lens out and used the outside of the lens to bolt it all together
86 fj1350r
86 fj1380t turbo drag toy (soon)
87 fj1200 865 miles crashed for parts
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
87 fzr750r Human Race teams world endurance champion
93 fzr600 Vance n hines ltd for sale
Custom chopper I built
Mini chopper I built for my daughter just like the big 1

ZOA NOM

Don't forget the headlight and mirror upgrades...

Rick

Current:
2010 Honda VFR1200 DCT (Full Auto!)
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
1987 Porsche 911 Carrera (Race)
1988 Porsche Carrera (Street)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1993 FJ1200ABS (RIP my collar bone)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca