News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

2018 East Coast Fall Rally

Started by DR.GTS.DUCATI.FAZER Dave, September 13, 2017, 04:44:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aviationfred

I have decided that I will attend one of the East Coast Rally's for 2018. For this discussion and my lack of experience in this area of the country, plus I know that the majority of the rally attendees have been riding this area for many years. Please don't beat me up for chiming in.  :flag_of_truce:

Has this been considered before, the Ironhorse Motorcycle Lodge in Stecoah, NC ???
http://ironhorsenc.com/

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

DR.GTS.DUCATI.FAZER Dave

Fred, Keep in mind, if you attend an East Coast Rally, Spring in Boone NC is rain, rain and rain, with the occasional sighting of sun most years as I have been told. The Fall Rally, is generally great weather with occasional rain days. This year looked like a rain fest due to a hurricane, but turned out dry, I saw a drizzle early in the week before other attendees arrived.

It will be good to see you again.

Dave
What haven't I owned, 201 different motorcycles in my life and never a Harley.

Currently
(2) FJ1200
(2) XT500
(4) 1993 Yamaha GTS1000
(4) 1986 Yamaha FZX700 Fazer
(2) 1982 Yamaha Seca Turbo
1970's Husquavarna WR250
1974 Ossa 250 Phantom
1976 Ossa 250 Phantom
1998 Kawasaki KX250
1995 Du

Bill_Rockoff

Quote from: aviationfred on October 13, 2017, 01:03:41 AMPlease don't beat me up for chiming in.  :flag_of_truce:

Has this been considered before, the Ironhorse Motorcycle Lodge in Stecoah, NC ???

Fred
Come on, Fred, we all gave Dean a bunch of shit for finding Bryson City, and Dean is one of the rally Originals. (Plus, Bryson City was actually kinda cool, except that the people who ran the campground were kinda dicks about running their campground.)

Stecoah is beautiful, and it's on the correct (east) side of things. One of the objections everyone had to Tellico is that it's on the west side of all the fun roads, so the sun is in our eyes at the beginning and the end of every day. Ironhorse would solve that. It seems kinda pricey, but it may be awesome enough to make up for it, or they may be hard-asses about how many people are in each tent on each night. ("Do I really need to log my kid and his dog in and out when they show up mid-week?") It's hard to predict in advance; I had a nice time at Hunt's Lodge (they even helped us do a birthday cake for Jack) but we never went back for some reason. For me, the more of us there are together, the more I enjoy it ("Kumbayah...") and it's even better if there's a place for an appropriate rally campfire. (which, to be fair, excludes a lot of places.)

Spring in Boone is *not* always rain, rain, rain, sometimes there's sleet, and I can't remember but I think Andrew & I got a dusting of snow one year when we showed up early. Our KOA is way up the mountain, and there have been times it was cold and rainy at the campground but 70F and dry 30 miles away where the twisties are. That's part of why we build a campfire the way we do ("visible from space") and when the weather is good, it's *perfect,* and when it sucks, it's still the FJ Brotherhood.

Either way, the riding in that part of the world is amazing, it's a large part of why I stayed in Atlanta after college in the 80's and it's a large part of why my kid moved to Rome, Georgia after college last year. It's worth the trip, even though it's a long day on the road each way for you. (16h to Boone, 14h to Tellico.)
Reg Pridmore yelled at me once

ddlewis

Quote from: aviationfred on October 13, 2017, 01:03:41 AM
I have decided that I will attend one of the East Coast Rally's for 2018. For this discussion and my lack of experience in this area of the country, plus I know that the majority of the rally attendees have been riding this area for many years. Please don't beat me up for chiming in.  :flag_of_truce:

Fred

Yeah Fred come on!  That stecoah campground has been on our radar for a while.. I've been in there, it looks cool.  can't remember why we didn't pick it, but I'm game.

I slightly favor the roads down there over Boone and the weather tends to be better.  but Boone campground situation a lot better.  toss up.

mst3kguy

We haven't picked it because it makes Tellico look like New York City.  There is nothing nearby for food, supplies, etc
dean
2014 triumph street triple r
2019 ktm 1290 superduke gt

FJ_Hooligan

Quote from: mst3kguy on October 15, 2017, 08:48:25 PM
We haven't picked it because it makes Tellico look like New York City.  There is nothing nearby for food, supplies, etc

No Dean,
You're describing the Tuskegee Inn.  Has about 10 rooms, no food, a pay phone outside the office. 

That pay phone was important my first couple of rallies.  I had no cell phone (and I doubt there was even service there back in '01) and used the pay phone to call home with "calling cards" (remember those?)

At least the rooms have cable TV
DavidR.

Motofun

Fred
[/quote]Come on, Fred, we all gave Dean a bunch of shit for finding Bryson City, and Dean is one of the rally Originals.
[/quote]

Well, that's only 'cause Dean won't give props to the original FJ rally the year before. :biggrin:...The (in)famous half-cabin rally!  :rofl:
'69 Honda Trail 90
'75 Honda CB400F
'85 Yamaha RZ350
'85 Yamaha FJ1100
'89 Yamaha FJ1200
'09 Yamaha 125 Zuma
'09 Kawasaki KZ110 (grand kids)
'13 Suzuki GSXR 750 (track)
'14 Yamaha FZ-09
'18 Suzuki GSXR 1000R (track)
'23 Yamaha Tenere 7
SOLD: CBX,RZ500,Ninja 650,CB400F,V45 Sabre,CB700SC,R1

rvnmaniac

Quote from: mst3kguy on October 15, 2017, 08:48:25 PM

it's all about food ...SMH....
"GO RAVENS"

mst3kguy

Henry I don't see you stepping up to the plate and actually making any attempts at contributing to the rally.  Shocking...
dean

Steve_in_Florida

My girlfriend and I are leaving tonight for Bryson City, although we're traveling by car. She's always wanted to stay in a yurt, and there's a place up there that offers these accommodations.

This past year I have been dealing with my Mother's passing, and all the details related to settling her estate, so I was unable to attend any of this years' rallies. I'm hoping to change that, this coming year.

I DEFINITELY like riding in the Tennessee/North Carolina/Virginia area, and really don't care where the rally point is. I've slept in some very nice ditches in the past, so...

Some things to be said for the motorcycle resort in Tellico Plains: The owner(s) are very friendly and accommodating. I was able to change out both front and rear tires on-site, as they had everything necessary to do so. The Cherohala Skyway is readily accessible. Plus, I know where the site is, and could easily find it again. That said, I don't have an issue with trying new places, either.

Fred, it will be nice to ride with you again, if you are able to make it to this side of the Mississippi River.

Dean, FJScott passed your old `92 FJ on to me a while back. I'd love to make it road-worthy again, and bring it to a rally. That's on my "to do" list.

I also have fond memories of trying to keep up with Frank and Jim (and Jeff?). They seem to know the area very well.

Hanging out with Leon, Dave, and Bill and his son, are fond memories. Naturally, Randy's snoring will be missed, and his little dog (Gizmo?), too!

All told, I'm looking forward to joining the group for riding again, this coming year.

Cheers!

Steve

`90 FJ-1200
`92 FJ-1200

IBA # 54823

rvnmaniac

Quote from: mst3kguy on October 20, 2017, 11:57:03 PM
Henry I don't see you stepping up to the plate and actually making any attempts at contributing to the rally.  Shocking...

That's easy lets' go to Tellico next year i hear there is some good riding there.. The 100 pounder pizza is to die for.... See i even mentioned food for you..
"GO RAVENS"

Motofun

Dean,  Henry's choice is quite easy.  Plot all the BBQ shacks on a map and find the most central point...easy peasy. :rofl2:
'69 Honda Trail 90
'75 Honda CB400F
'85 Yamaha RZ350
'85 Yamaha FJ1100
'89 Yamaha FJ1200
'09 Yamaha 125 Zuma
'09 Kawasaki KZ110 (grand kids)
'13 Suzuki GSXR 750 (track)
'14 Yamaha FZ-09
'18 Suzuki GSXR 1000R (track)
'23 Yamaha Tenere 7
SOLD: CBX,RZ500,Ninja 650,CB400F,V45 Sabre,CB700SC,R1

DR.GTS.DUCATI.FAZER Dave

"Hanging out with Leon, Dave, and Bill and his son, are fond memories. Naturally, Randy's snoring will be missed, and his little dog (Gizmo?), too! "

All told, I'm looking forward to joining the group for riding again, this coming year.

Cheers!

Steve

(quote)

Steve,

Gizmo (Quebert or as he is also now referred to Roomba) More on Roomba in a minute, he is with my wife and I in Mississippi and may make more rallies. As for Roomba, he is now blind and deaf and walks around the world using his head as a feeler bouncing around a room like the vacuum cleaner only dropping leaf bits along the way and once or twice a month, other odiferous gifts.....

Randy too can be had for a talk, some of his ashes are residing with Wayne and Kelly in the camp office on the top shelf just inside the door.

As for seeing you again, I look forward to it. I am trying to bring my nephew to the next ECR and even springs WCR. We need to replace a cluch bearing on his Buell Ulysses.

Dave
What haven't I owned, 201 different motorcycles in my life and never a Harley.

Currently
(2) FJ1200
(2) XT500
(4) 1993 Yamaha GTS1000
(4) 1986 Yamaha FZX700 Fazer
(2) 1982 Yamaha Seca Turbo
1970's Husquavarna WR250
1974 Ossa 250 Phantom
1976 Ossa 250 Phantom
1998 Kawasaki KX250
1995 Du

mst3kguy

Quote from: rvnmaniac on October 21, 2017, 06:12:27 PM

That's easy lets' go to Tellico next year i hear there is some good riding there.. The 100 pounder pizza is to die for.... See i even mentioned food for you..

Good luck with that, Henry.    Didn't know you owned your own trailer.  And tools.  And e z up.  And truck.  Bahahahaha!
dean

Steve_in_Florida

Just got back last evening from a really nice getaway vacation at the yurt village overlooking the Natahala Gorge. We had the place completely to ourselves, and it was everything we hoped it could be. I would recommend this as a possible rally location, but there are no provisions for RV's.

I must say that it's a VERY romantic spot!

We took a leisurely drive out to the Dragon's Tail by way of the Fontana Dam, just for a bit of sightseeing. Only a few bikes were out, but they were sure having fun. We passed by the Iron Horse location, so now I know where that is.

Admittedly, I'm a bit envious of those who live in and around the area. Such amazing roads, and beautiful scenery! I sure can't wait to get back up there with the bike!!!

`90 FJ-1200
`92 FJ-1200

IBA # 54823