News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

2018 East Coast Fall Rally

Started by DR.GTS.DUCATI.FAZER Dave, September 13, 2017, 04:44:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rvnmaniac

Good luck with that, Henry.    Didn't know you owned your own trailer.  And tools.  And e z up.  And truck.  Bahahahaha!
============================
Have no idea what that's all about...SMH.

Never had a need for my OWN trailer.. I do own Tools..I also own an EZ-UP but kind of awkward trying to put it on my bike..  I could use a truck or even an SUV though...

"GO RAVENS"

DR.GTS.DUCATI.FAZER Dave

All, 

Friday Dec. 1st 2017 I received a phone call from Wayne at the Cherahola Mt. campground. The campground is booked for our normal weekend by another group. For a pleasure to some and displeasure for others, We need to find a camp for the 2018 fall rally.

Many have mentioned other options and others have lent their experience on many of those suggestions. Some have no supporting businesses nearby for food or tires, others had good support and big full service cabins but user unfriendly policies where everything from linens, second cars and dogs cost a nightly extra $5-10 per and a ten pm curfew or group sized gathering amenity.

East or West of the Skyway, each has its attraction. Is there anything in North Ga?

On a side note, I am planning on attending the West Coast Spring Rally and like before, I am happy to be a transporter of east coast bikes and persons to said rally if there is interest.

What haven't I owned, 201 different motorcycles in my life and never a Harley.

Currently
(2) FJ1200
(2) XT500
(4) 1993 Yamaha GTS1000
(4) 1986 Yamaha FZX700 Fazer
(2) 1982 Yamaha Seca Turbo
1970's Husquavarna WR250
1974 Ossa 250 Phantom
1976 Ossa 250 Phantom
1998 Kawasaki KX250
1995 Du

carey

QuoteAll, 

Friday Dec. 1st 2017 I received a phone call from Wayne at the Cherahola Mt. campground. The campground is booked for our normal weekend by another group. For a pleasure to some and displeasure for others, We need to find a camp for the 2018 fall rally.

Many have mentioned other options and others have lent their experience on many of those suggestions. Some have no supporting businesses nearby for food or tires, others had good support and big full service cabins but user unfriendly policies where everything from linens, second cars and dogs cost a nightly extra $5-10 per and a ten pm curfew or group sized gathering amenity.

Dave,

IMO, this may be the "beginning of the end" for Fall East Coast Rally's, at least as we've known them.  Since the demise of the Tellico KOA, the group has been looking for a replacement.  We've tried a few different locations, but each has been a compromise.  After staying in a rental unit with my own shower, I'd prefer not to stay in a cabin and hike to the showers.  Others prefer to camp.  I thought the house rental last Fall was good, at least for the 8-10 people that stayed there, although, the driveway sucked.

Looking at the Spring Rally in Boone, the KOA seems to have very few compromises.  If you want your own shower, camp in a tent or toyhauler, have numerous choices for food, the Boone KOA meets all the criteria.

How does this impact the Fall Rally?  It seems to me, we need to find another KOA.  Thinking outside the box, does the KOA have to be near the Dragon?  In NC, I see KOA's in Cherokee, Asheville, and Murphy.  In TN, I see KOA's in Gatlinburg, Chattanooga, Towsend, Bristol, and Sweetwater.  In Va I see KOA's in Fancy Gap, Luray, Lynchburg, Staunton, Lexington, and Wytheville. 

I have gathered some route information for rides near the Wytheville KOA.  Unless I hear otherwise, I'm working to organize a gathering there Fall 2018. 

Will it be perfect?  Will everybody be happy?  Will some people have to travel farther?  Will some people have to travel less?  Will some people be pissed? I see the answers as no, no, yes, yes, yes.  I'm looking at this location as a new adventure.  Try it for a year, and then go back to Tellico in 2019, and maybe try something else in 2020.  I'm sure I can find some straight boring roads wherever we go  :rofl:  I see it as kind of a Lilith Fair for motorcycles.

Another issue about the Fall rally I've heard is the date.  Nancy and Jeff haven't been able to make the last few Fall rally's because of work commitments.  Can the 3rd weekend in September be changed?

I'd appreciate anybody's feedback.

Pat Conlon

Quote from: DR.GTS.DUCATI.FAZER Dave on December 03, 2017, 10:19:37 AM
....On a side note, I am planning on attending the West Coast Spring Rally and like before, I am happy to be a transporter of east coast bikes and persons to said rally if there is interest.

^^^Good to hear this Dave. You will have a polished 1992 FZR1000 USD front assembly waiting for you in Petaluma.
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

aviationfred

I know that my input on a location has very little weight. I will weigh in though. I am planning to attend the Fall East Coast Rally for 2018. The main reason was because of the more southern location of Tellico Plains and the proximity to the Dragon. If the Rally is held in Virginia, it will be a no go for me for 2018.

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

Motofun

Nancy and I would be up for a date change...the third week of Sept is problematic for us.  I know everyone has issues, but for us the second week would be ideal.  As to location, as long as we can get our TH in I have no problems with location...after all 50% (or more) of the rally is about sitting around BS'ing...and beer... :wacko3:
'69 Honda Trail 90
'75 Honda CB400F
'85 Yamaha RZ350
'85 Yamaha FJ1100
'89 Yamaha FJ1200
'09 Yamaha 125 Zuma
'09 Kawasaki KZ110 (grand kids)
'13 Suzuki GSXR 750 (track)
'14 Yamaha FZ-09
'18 Suzuki GSXR 1000R (track)
'23 Yamaha Tenere 7
SOLD: CBX,RZ500,Ninja 650,CB400F,V45 Sabre,CB700SC,R1

racerman_27410

No issues with a date change... or location change.   I just wanna hang out with my friends, ride some sweet roads
and not be hassled by the man  :good2:

Motofun

I'll add that Nancy and I have stayed at the Fancy Gap KOA several times on the way to Rd Atl.  It doesn't quite fit the bill for a FJ rally.  Town is about 15 miles away via the interstate.  From what I've seen there aren't many cabins..if any.  This is mostly a RV KOA.  Finally, the only really convenient decent road is the BRP.  We've stayed at the Wythville KOA a long time ago...Frankly I don't remember much about it, good or bad.  DAMN, getting old sucks! 
'69 Honda Trail 90
'75 Honda CB400F
'85 Yamaha RZ350
'85 Yamaha FJ1100
'89 Yamaha FJ1200
'09 Yamaha 125 Zuma
'14 Yamaha FZ-09
'23 Yamaha Tenere 7

CodyNKR

Carey, all that you said is oh so true. While 2018 might be tough for us to get to VA, we'll try to make it work. the weekend of the 15-16 of Sept might be the only weekend that won't work for me.
Nancy G and I talked on the phone yesterday, Jeff and I will be at Boone this year with my pup in tow.
Something else to throw out for the weekend in Sept 2018, I don't think it will affect our area too much because we are to the west, but over in the Tryon area the equestrian center is hosting the World Equestrian Games. I know there are going to be people staying in Ashville for this. So traffic may be something (or not) to think of.
IF as Dean says you could find a place to rent that all of us could fit into and I can bring my pup, then I'd even go for that.
The KOA in Townsend TN, several of us stopped in there one day. For the toy hauler crowd it would be tight. But the cabins are beside the creek. Don't know about size of campfire though. The KOA in Sweetwater is a little off the beaten track, but it was certainly nice enough. Just count on an extra 30 min at least to get over to the Cherahala. I have not been in the KOA at Murphy, was hoping that Scott could do that and tell us what he thinks since he has a cabin near there. Kavin is staying (if you follow him on FB) at a campground in Gatlinburg this weekend. Maybe he could tell us what he thinks.
I LOVE N GA.
And for S&G i just browsed for a few....course you never know until you drive in and stay whether it's someplace you would like....but here's a couple
http://www.baldmountainpark.com/
http://www.whisperingpinescampground.com/index.htm
then there's the KOA in Murphy, NC. It might work....
DEAN, don't roll your eyes! I can see you doing it now!

Anyway, that's my chime in.....Jeff and I will be back.....hopefully soon.
NancyK

ddlewis

I'll make another pitch for Hungry Mother State Park in Marion, just SW of Wytheville.  15ish miles.

I recall them having a lot of cabins, dozens.  Electric sites for 5th wheel type campers.  It's a big nice place.  I have only pitched a tent there a few times so I've never been inside the cabins.  There's a lake in the middle of the park with swimming hole.  The town is pretty cool too, about 3-5 miles from the park, has a little river running through, and a Main St.  Complete with a Macados. 

Wherever we go, this far out I'm flexible on the date.  So pick something that suits everybody and I'll be there.

Bad news for me on '18 Boone/ECSR - I'm out.   Got a bunch of guys together for a UT BDR trip in mid May.  The good news is I'll have pictures and stories ready for Sept, so you won't have to hear about CO again.   Did I tell yall about that time I went to CO?  :)

Motofun

Hungry Mother would be great, brings in a lot of new roads, different sights to see, etc.  Even though it's a state park there are quite a few accommodations.  We should decide rather quickly as it is a popular location and might fill up quickly.  I'll put my vote in for the week leading up to Sept. 22nd.
'69 Honda Trail 90
'75 Honda CB400F
'85 Yamaha RZ350
'85 Yamaha FJ1100
'89 Yamaha FJ1200
'09 Yamaha 125 Zuma
'14 Yamaha FZ-09
'23 Yamaha Tenere 7

FJscott

If the consensus is to find a place in or near Murphy (which I'm partial to) then I would recommend the KOA in Murphy/Peace Valley. its in Marble just outside Murphy city limits on 129/64. great spot to hit all our favorites and I can show you some of my newfound favorites I've discovered since buying my cabin there.

Another spot is 2 wheels of Suches, motorcycle themed campground with cabins, RV spots, campsites and an outstanding restaurant on site.
Towns of Blueridge, Blairesville and Dahlonega close by.

My Vote is Murphy.

Scott

mst3kguy

This really isn't as much of a poll, or request for suggestions, as it is a heads up from Carey and me and a couple others that wytheville is where we are going to go for 2018, if you'd like to join.
dean
2014 triumph street triple r
2019 ktm 1290 superduke gt

DR.GTS.DUCATI.FAZER Dave

I agreed that fracturing is what I see happening. I also agree the where is less important than the who. I give Dean credit for scouting and booking for us Bryson City. We had good food close and the rides are the traditional roads still within striking distance. The nickle and dime and lack of the big gathering site was the bad But without Dean's effort, we might have missed each other entirely as a group.

As for changing weekends, later in the year will bring more cool weather and traditionally more rain.

As for distance, here or there, its just miles and as already stated, what is more or less for me is the opposite for another. 

As to my availability, I am my own boss, so my attendance is what my wish makes it, or others encourage it to be. Rockoff brought me to my first rally, I found the groups members engaging and welcoming and hate to see it loose a great weather scheduled meet for Riding and bench racing. Boone does not entice me for all the cold rain. I am going to try traveling each year for far off rallys, Canada anyone, maybe we can get Clavdy or other to provide a US rider a bike for an Ausie rally.... and maybe try to bring a gathering to the Ozark Mountains.

What haven't I owned, 201 different motorcycles in my life and never a Harley.

Currently
(2) FJ1200
(2) XT500
(4) 1993 Yamaha GTS1000
(4) 1986 Yamaha FZX700 Fazer
(2) 1982 Yamaha Seca Turbo
1970's Husquavarna WR250
1974 Ossa 250 Phantom
1976 Ossa 250 Phantom
1998 Kawasaki KX250
1995 Du

FJscott

Quote from: mst3kguy on December 29, 2017, 03:49:04 AM
This really isn't as much of a poll, or request for suggestions, as it is a heads up from Carey and me and a couple others that wytheville is where we are going to go for 2018, if you'd like to join.

Understand. Wytheville is 750 miles from me, Doable. Ill be there

S