News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Chain

Started by twangin4u, September 13, 2017, 07:27:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twangin4u

Well an old stretched chain cause a hercky -jerky, or pulsing  momentum at low speeds?

Country Joe

1993 FJ 1200

red

Quote from: twangin4u on September 13, 2017, 07:27:11 PMWell an old stretched chain cause a hercky -jerky, or pulsing  momentum at low speeds?
Twangin,

A worn chain, which usually means worn sprockets as well, can cause this.  A loose chain may do the same thing.  Put the bike up on the centerstand, and select Neutral gear.  Check the chain tightness at the place where the chain is the tightest, when rotating the rear wheel by hand.  If the engine is simply running rough, try a can of SeaFoam or other cleaner in the gas tank, for a few tankfuls.  Then, if not improved, check plugs, et c.
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

Schurkey

I would have said that a loose chain makes the jerking worse, but the root cause is typically lean carburetion.

The engine surges because the fuel-curve isn't right, and the loose chain amplifies the surge into even worse speed fluctuations.

I'm dealing with this on my '86 FJ12.  A prior owner scrapped the OEM airbox in favor of those crappy pod filters, so there's major fueling problems.  The owner I bought it from apparently couldn't adjust the chain.  I put an entire turn on the adjuster nuts, and I don't think I've got the chain tight enough yet.

balky1

If the chain has developed a tight spot it will be like you describe and it is time to change it sooner rather then later.

FJ 1100, 1985, sold
FJR 1300, 2009

FJmonkey

A worn chain can cause holes and crack in the case when it breaks. Check your chain.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side