News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Sparkles version 2.0

Started by Urban_Legend, September 18, 2017, 06:00:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Urban_Legend

Hey all.
A week or two ago I put a post about how a 1 hour job to replace the intake boots had escalated into something so much more. So in brief, changing the boots l, turned into giving the motor some fresh paint, which then turned into giving the bike a respray. :Facepalm:
The general plan is to paint the bike (84 FJ1100) in an OEM style, but not OEM colours.
With the bike stripped of all of its bits, I have set about sanding back only 2 years of my sins.

Gravel Rash on the right side of the fairing
Brake fluid ruined paint on the left side of the fairing from an in noticed clutch MC leak.
Stuffed paint on the fuel tank from a very botched job of applying protective film. Blah blah blah.
You get the picture. The paint on the bike got a hard time.
I now have the panels and tank rubbed back and have started applying the undercoat. The hard bit is stopping myself from rushing. As we have all heard. Its all in the preparation. Shown below. Is my starting point, where I am up to now and where I hope to end up. More updates to follow
Mark
Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor
92 FJ 1200 - Project bike. Finished and sold.
84 FJ1100 - Project bike.

Urban_Legend

Hi

Bit of an update on my progress.
Ihave spent every evening for the last week and a half on sanding back paint prep and under coating all of the bike cosmetic bits. And last night I finally got to start putting colour down. There are a few bits I am not entirely happy with but time is against me. I have to return the vehicle I borrowed from my father this weekend and the bike will once again be my main form of transport. So it needs to be done. At least I have the paint codes so touch ups can be done as time permists at a later date.
First colour down is the Silver, and the bike is now getting mashed up for the blue to go down, and I should have all the decals ready this afternoon. Getting the lines right for the blue was a bitch. :dash1: but with lots of measuring and redoing and looking, i am happy with the line up. less the +/- 2mm tolerance.
I am usung Acrylic paint
There is also a "NEW" cover for my gauges coming (thanks RoverFJ1200 - Richard) so hopefully that will be fitted in the next few days too.

Mark
Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor

Urban_Legend

Had a good day putting more colour on. Need to rub back tomorrow with some 2000 grit and apply the decals then its clear coat time. Nearly there.
Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor

Urban_Legend

Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor

Urban_Legend

Huge day on the bike today.
1) Rubbed back the colour ready for clear coat.
2) Applies full set of decals
3) Applied 5 coats of clear
4) did the coil relay mod
5) polished a few bits and pieces (bar ends and the plate that connects the front fender pieces)
6) put most of the bike back together.
The fairing will have to wait a few days while I wait for a new gauge cover.
The paint will need a cut  and polish, but I am really happy with how it is turning out.
Mark
Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor

Country Joe

:good:
Mark,
That looks awesome!! Those colors look like Yamaha should have offered them during the production run.
Joe
1993 FJ 1200

Urban_Legend

And there we have it ladies and gentleman. I was hoping to be done in daylight hours, but had a little set back. But now it is all done, except for the test ride.

This transformation took me 3 weeks, with all work done by me in my garage. I am really happy with the result.
Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor

FJmonkey

The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

PaulG

I can't imagine what it would cost to get a "professional" to do all that work. Yes they would have taken less time but would it be any better in your eyes? Nice colours you picked and a great inspiration too.  :good2:
1992 FJ1200 ABS
YouTube Channel Paul G

Pat Conlon

That's beautiful Mark! I like that color combo.  I would look at adding some blue or silver spots, for the front calipers, the red calipers look out of place.

You should be proud. Well done laddie!    Pat
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

Firehawk068

Wow!
I really like that color combo.
Very nicely done!  :good2:
Alan H.
Denver, CO
'90 FJ1200

Sparky84

Mate that Looks Good !!
Looks So much Faster and Lighter  :good2:

(But not as fast as the Red & White  :biggrin:)

3 weeks is a pretty good turn around, I'd be stoked with that.

Cheers
Alan
1984 FJ1100
1979 Kawasaki Z1300
1972 Honda CB750/4 K2

Urban_Legend

Thanks guys
Yes three weeks was short, but the bike is my main transport, so needed it back on the road. I have learned a lot, and I know how to fix up some of the mistakes.  :dash1:
Planning is under way for a further improvement. Same colour scheme and layout, but not rushed. I have an other fairing that will require some substantial fibreglass work to restore all of the bits the PO cut off it. I also would like a 1200 tank. I like the aviation style cap and it will allow me to use a tank cover and clip on tank bag. Also get some less banged up side covers and I can respray the lot at my leisure. That's the plan anyway. Always room for improvement.

Mark
Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor

Sparky84

Quote from: Urban_Legend on October 04, 2017, 06:55:13 AM
I also would like a 1200 tank. I like the aviation style cap and it will allow me to use a tank cover and clip on tank bag..

That's something I'd like to do also, instead of using a magnetic one, less chances of scratches.

But then you don't have to worry about those, 1weekend would see you respray the scratches out  :good:

Cheers
Alan
1984 FJ1100
1979 Kawasaki Z1300
1972 Honda CB750/4 K2

Urban_Legend

Haven't posted about the bike for a bit, so here is an update. I finally got around to giving the paint a rub back with 2000 wet/dry to eliminate most of the orange peel, then machine polished to bring out the shine. I must say that I amost pleased with the results. I have also acquired two low mileage motors, a 3cv 1200 with 30000km an an 1100 with 60000km,for the next stage. My current motor has a bad second gear issue and a tired starter and possibly a dodgy reg/rec. The plan is to put the 1200 on as an interim and build a good 1100. (Possible 1300) from the 2 1100s.
More to come
Mark
Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor