News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Sparkles version 2.0

Started by Urban_Legend, September 18, 2017, 06:00:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

racerrad8

Mark,

If you are thinking of going big bore, you'll need to start with the 1200. The block is required for those big bores.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

red

Mark,

That's sure looking good, from here . . .  :biggrin:  I'm curious about what was done to the engine fins and case, to get that deep shine seen in  IMG_20170909_123243.jpg.

Man, it took forever to load those pix.  Do you really need to post pix that are 57" (146cm) tall, and 2~3 Megs?  Kinda rude, I mean, not everybody has an ultra-fast Internet.  Most image programs can SCALE an image to a reasonable size, with a much smaller file size.  I use GIMP, which is free here.  Your image was 57" (146cm) tall, and 3.15Meg in size.  I SCALEd that image to 6.6" (17cm) tall, and the file size then was 146kb.  That is about 5% of what you sent, by file size.  Do you really see that much difference between these two images?
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

Urban_Legend

Sorry about the file size. :sorry: images sent directly from my phone.
The shine on the engine is from VHT gloss engine enamel. Prep was degrease, pressure wash, wipe over with prepsol, mask and paint.
Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor
92 FJ 1200 - Project bike. Finished and sold.
84 FJ1100 - Project bike.

red

Quote from: Urban_Legend on February 20, 2018, 02:18:07 PMSorry about the file size. :sorry: images sent directly from my phone.
The shine on the engine is from VHT gloss engine enamel. Prep was degrease, pressure wash, wipe over with prepsol, mask and paint.
Mark,

Thanks for that.  I have only seen VHT flat colors before.  Lookin' good!     :yes: 

Most phones have a default image size, but maybe you can adjust Settings on that issue.  Your phone maker or seller can probably help, or there may be a manual on-line for that unit.  You might want large files for personal stuff, but it's not needed for the Internet.  'Preciate your concern.
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

Urban_Legend

Cool. Thanks Red. Will try to rectify.
Mark
Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor

Urban_Legend

Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor

Urban_Legend

That's as low as my phone goes Red. Much quicker upload. Thanks for your advice.
Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor

fj johnnie

Phenomenal job. Excellent color choices as well. It's so nice to see other people loving their FJ's!!

red

Quote from: Urban_Legend on February 20, 2018, 03:47:33 PMThat's as low as my phone goes Red. Much quicker upload. Thanks for your advice.
Mark,

Faster at this end, too.  Thanks.

How 'bout if I mail you my FJ, for the  next project?  Lemme see, cost of postage from the USA to Australia . . .  umm, never mind.    :biggrin:   
Cheers,
Red

Urban_Legend

The sad thing is, the day after i got the 1200 motor, a 91 1200 came up for sale minus its motor....and i no longer had the money availiable to purchace it. Would have been perfect.

Bugger

Mark
Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor

Urban_Legend

Work has started on the motor swap. I managed to remove the old motor today (on my own) and have started prep on work on the "new" low mileage 1200 motor.

I learned that the trick to getting the motor out is to get some elevation with the frame so the you have wriggle room for trolley jack to lower the motor enough out the side of the frame.

Will do some other bits of tidying up while it apart.

Pete (Oldktmdude) will be receiving my carbs soon to get them sorted. Hopefully it will all be back together in a few weeks so I can get my Kookaloo on.
Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor

Urban_Legend

Been a big few days here at the Oily Rag Garage. Got all (2x1100's and 1x1200) degreased and pressure cleaned. Polished a few bits, and painted the 1200. This afternoon was spent installing it. Next job is to swap the clutch and detent kit over from the old motor and do the ignition advance mod.

Pete (Oldktmdude) got my carbs on Thursday and has checked them over. He fiddled with the jetting a bit and tested them on his bike. He says they worked well with no sign of the issues I was having. He suggested that maybe one of my cams had slipped a tooth which would possibly lead to some of the performances issues the bike was suffering. Will check the hypothesis out.
Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor

oldktmdude

Looking good Mark. Your carbs will be in tommorrow's post. When you do the ignition advance, make sure you file the correct side of the holes.
You need to rotate the ignition plate clockwise, in other words, opposite to the direction that the engine runs. File out to the outer edge of the washer shadow.
Another good tip is to replace the shit 6mm phillips head screws, that hold the ignition plate in place, with some s/s socket head cap screws.   
Good luck with the new engine.
Regards, Pete.
1985 FJ1100 x2 (1 sold)
2009 TDM 900
1980 Kawasaki Z1R Mk11 (sold and still regretting it)
1979 Kawasaki Z650 (sold)
1985 Suzuki GSXR 400 x2 (next project)
2001 KTM 520 exc (sold)
2004 GasGas Ec300
1981 Honda CB 900 F (sold)
1989 Kawasaki GPX 600 Adventure

Urban_Legend

Thanks Pete. Can't wait to get it all back together. Hope she all just falls into place. I know I will need to replace some electrical connectors. Dog ate one of them. Otherwise all is looking good.

Mark
Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor

FJ_Hooligan

It couldn't hurt to check the cam timing since it takes all of 3 minutes once the cam cover is off. 

However, the probability that a cam has "slipped a tooth" is remote unless you've had the cam out and reinstalled it incorrectly.  To jump a tooth, the cam chain would have to be horribly stretched out and the cam chain adjuster fully deployed and totally worn out.  I just don't see it as a possibility.  Additionally, I've never read anyone reporting that their cam had slipped a tooth.

If it was an old small block Chevy with the nylon cam gear teeth that have been worn to nubs, then it's possible.  But not on a chain driven FJ cam train.
DavidR.