News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

2018 Australian FJ Rally

Started by oldktmdude, September 22, 2017, 05:03:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldktmdude

Well what can I say apart from my apologies and thanks to all those people that helped me after my stupid mishap on the way to the Rally.  
A huge thanks to Troy for getting my bike and myself transported back home after the Rally.
Even after all the drama that I had on the way up to Mudgee, I had a great time thanks to all the very social, helpful and friendly FJ Rally attendees.
  So the short version is that I had a short lapse in concentration for a split second and ran wide on a 45kph corner. I was doing about 90 kph, which is a normal speed for me for that particular speed advisory recommendation. I ran off the edge and traveled for abut 50 metres between the road edge and the armco guard railing. The armco was narrowing off so I aimed to get back on the road. Just at the point of re-entery, there was an approx 8-9" step up to the road which I made , to my surprise. Upon getting back on the road (at which point, I thought that I had escaped an accident), there was a fairly sharp left hand corner, which I started to turn into and to my complete surprise, the bike and I headed straight across the road. Just as I reached the far side of the road the front end collapsed and I low-sided into a sandstone rock face.
  After all the dust had settled, we examined the witness marks and it clearly showed that the front wheel disintegrated before the impact with the rock face.
Looking at the wheel fragments, it clearly shows that the wheel had some previous hair line fractures in it. Even after the crash, the rim itself, has no damage to the outer edges. The wheel was sourced from a wrecking yard about 6 years ago and showed absolutely no scarring at all. My current thinking is that it may have been damaged by the previous owner doing wheelies. It came off a 1990 FZR1000 so having a wheelie history is not out of the question.
   I came out of the crash with a bruised right leg (knocked a 3"x11/2" timber guide post out with it) and a generally sore body. I'm OK now but still limping a little. I captured the whole incident on the GoPro so once I work out how to edit it I'll post it.
Regards, Pete.

1985 FJ1100 x2 (1 sold)
2009 TDM 900
1980 Kawasaki Z1R Mk11 (sold and still regretting it)
1979 Kawasaki Z650 (sold)
1985 Suzuki GSXR 400 x2 (next project)
2001 KTM 520 exc (sold)
2004 GasGas Ec300
1981 Honda CB 900 F (sold)
1989 Kawasaki GPX 600 Adventure

racerrad8

Quote from: oldktmdude on March 25, 2018, 05:38:49 AM
Looking at the wheel fragments, it clearly shows that the wheel had some previous hair line fractures in it.

Regards, Pete.        

Boy Pete, that would be a harrowing ride if a wheel breaks like that.

Since we are buying used wheels from unknown origins when modifying, I think I might invest into a aluminum crack checker kit something like this; https://goodson.com/collections/crack-detection-repair/products/ac-kit-alumni-chek-kit

That might be one of the things that goes into inspecting the used wheels I purchase and install here at the shop.

Glad to hear you were no seriously injured in the crash.

Take care and heal well.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

Bones

That's scary stuff Pete seeing a wheel desinigrate like that, I've never seen anything like it before and like you said obviously a fault with it. Years ago the older brother had a Suzuki GT750 waterbus that he bought mag wheels for and riding along one day going through roadworks hit about a three/four inch rise in the bitumen that hard that it put about a six inch split in the rim, but it held together unlike yours. Glad you got out of it with only minor injurys.
93 fj1200
79 suzuki gt250x7

Too young to be old but old enough to know better.

oldktmdude

A new 1994 FZR1000 front end has been bought and fitted. The bottom triple clamp needed a bit of tweaking for the fork tubes to align properly.
I plan on buying another set as soon as the finances allow but these will have to do for the time being. Some plastic welding and a bit of paint work and I'll be back in business.
   Regards, Pete.

1985 FJ1100 x2 (1 sold)
2009 TDM 900
2001 KTM 520 exc (sold)
2004 GasGas Ec300

ribbert

Quote from: oldktmdude on March 25, 2018, 05:38:49 AM

No one can say those Arashi rotors aren't tough, you can ride down the road on them!

Glad to see the bikes nearly back on the road Pete.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

oldktmdude

Quote from: ribbert on March 25, 2018, 10:44:19 PM

No one can say those Arashi rotors aren't tough, you can ride down the road on them!

Glad to see the bikes nearly back on the road Pete.

Noel
Thanks Noel. They are tough beyond belief, we tried to straighten them to straddle the wheel runners on Troy's bike trailer with no result. We had an 18" shifter holding one side while trying to bend with a 24" pair of stillsons. Absolutely no movement whatsoever. I have my old pair of genuine FZR rotors fitted at the moment but when finances allow, I will not hesitate to buy another set of Arashi rotors. That's also the tyre that hit the edge of the road, there are absolutely no signs of the hit that it must have taken.
   Regards, Pete.
1985 FJ1100 x2 (1 sold)
2009 TDM 900
2001 KTM 520 exc (sold)
2004 GasGas Ec300

fj-f3a

Hi everyone,

As you all may be aware, this was my first FJ rally and I can assure you all, it will not be my last. I had a ball.
   Thursday started with Alan an myself meeting (for the first time) not far from my place. We then road via Camden Valley Way, The Northern Rd and Park Rd to Wallacia,
then Mulgoa Rd, Castlereagh Rd and Bells Line of Roads to Kurmond where we met with Pete, Alf, Johno, Sarah, Diesel Dave and Grahame (I think that's everyone).
   From Kurmond, it was up the Putty Rd to East Gresford. This was my first, yes first ride along the Putty Rd, believe it or not. Unfortunately, my forward facing helmet cam was not recording (my stuff up) however, the rear facing camera was working and I have some footage which I will edit.
   The Beatty Hotel was our place of residence for the night. Great atmosphere, good food and of cause, beer. The publican even opened the garage, allowing most riders to park their FJ's under cover for the night. Now that's hospitality for you.

Day two, we back tracked to Singleton then road the New England Hwy to Muswellbrook where we met up with Darren, Danielle, Mark and X-Ray. From Muswellbrook, it was a fantastic ride along Bylong Valley Way to Mudgee. Again, this was my first time along this magnificent stretch of motorcycling heaven.

Day three was Rally Day. The track saw us travel north a short distance along the Castlereagh Hwy to Hill End Road then a left turn towards Hill End. After lunch in Hill End, it was east along Hill End Road to Sofala. This was one of the roads I have travelled, in a car, not on a motorcycle. It was thirty eight years ago. My how times change. Back then, it was all dirt and not very good dirt at that.
   After a lap of the main street of Sofala, we headed back to Mudgee. The original plan was to ride via the southern portion of Bylong Valley Way to Kandos and Rylstone, then along Lue Rd to Mudgee. However, most riders chose to ride Castlereagh Hwy as we had already ridden Lue Rd on day two.
   Saturday evening saw everyone congregate at the Oriental Hotel for dinner and the famous "Chook Rafael".
   Personally, I would like to thank everyone who attended the rally and made the whole experience so enjoyable for myself. I believe a special thanks is own to The General for organising Saturday night and to Pete and Alf for the route recognisance taking up the challenge of setting up the rally. (Sorry if I missed any one)
   Looking forward to next years rally. I have helmet cam footage of the entire rally and will edit and post some footage in the not too distant future.
Wings Level

Current
1990 FJ1200, Wet Pale Brown
J17xMT5.5 rear wheel from a 2001 Kawasaki Zx9r
Stainless exhausts
Electronic cruise control
Custom seat
Yamaha R6 Blue Spot Callipers
FJR1300 Master Cylinder
Stainless brake lines

oldktmdude

Finally got around to editing the GoPro footage of my crash. My daughter, Elise was home for some holidays, so I put her to work editing. 
It would have taken me forever, to do what she did in a matter of minutes.
                     https://youtu.be/-cTyfX9qB1k
1985 FJ1100 x2 (1 sold)
2009 TDM 900
2001 KTM 520 exc (sold)
2004 GasGas Ec300

Bones

I reckon your wheel started to disintegrate just as you hit that corner Pete, you can see the bike wobble a bit as you went wide and then obviously had no control over it as it went to the other side. The rise in the bitumen between the road and guard rail wouldn't be a hard enough hit to shatter the wheel as it did. Some people might say it was target fixation that caused you to run wide as it happened just as that car went past, but viewing the footage before it happened shows you can obviously ride a bike and just not some learner making a mistake.
93 fj1200
79 suzuki gt250x7

Too young to be old but old enough to know better.

oldktmdude

Tony, you may be right about when the wheel possibly started to collapse but in my mind I know I glanced at the car as I was cornering. This is something I never do and the momentary lapse in concentration ended up with me going wide. It was getting late in the day and my mind was not entirely on the job.
I was riding at around 7/10's so I know I wasn't pushing too hard, as it turned out, that was a good thing, although when I'm going quick my concentration is much better than when I'm just cruising.
   Regards, Pete.
PS. The FJ's back on the road and I've just stopped limping. Looking forward to next years Rally.  :good2:
1985 FJ1100 x2 (1 sold)
2009 TDM 900
2001 KTM 520 exc (sold)
2004 GasGas Ec300

ribbert

Quote from: Bones on April 24, 2018, 04:44:45 AM
.... Some people might say it was target fixation that caused you to run wide as it happened just as that car went past, but viewing the footage before it happened shows you can obviously ride a bike and just not some learner making a mistake.

Target fixation is not just a newbie thing, it still catches old dogs out too, the difference is, you know what you did wrong, and hopefully do it less often.

You were both unlucky and lucky there Pete, could have been so much worse. Glad the bike and the rider are back on the road.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

oldktmdude

Quote from: ribbert on April 24, 2018, 08:44:36 AM

You were both unlucky and lucky there Pete, could have been so much worse. Glad the bike and the rider are back on the road.

Noel
Noel, that's pretty much how I looked at it, it could have been much worse. Got a ride planned for next weekend up to the Wild Brumby Distillery Jindabyne. Going up via some of your favourite roads, Tathra, Mount Darragh, Bomballa, Dalghetty and Jindabyne. Looking forward to it. It will be the first long ride on the FJ since the rebuild. Been riding the GSXR 400 on the last few rides and having a ball on it.
   Regards, Pete.   :good2: :drinks:
1985 FJ1100 x2 (1 sold)
2009 TDM 900
2001 KTM 520 exc (sold)
2004 GasGas Ec300

ribbert

Quote from: oldktmdude on April 25, 2018, 06:54:20 AM
..... Got a ride planned for next weekend up to the Wild Brumby Distillery Jindabyne. Going up via some of your favourite roads, Tathra, Mount Darragh, Bomballa, Dalghetty and Jindabyne....

Aaaahh Pete, whenever I have a touch of cabin fever those roads come to mind. The ride from my front door to yours is one of my favourites, it's the hamburger with the lot.

Quote from: oldktmdude on April 25, 2018, 06:54:20 AM
....Been riding the GSXR 400 on the last few rides and having a ball on it.

I agree, I reckon a mid size bike that you can throw around, WOT most of the time, redline, use all of the gears and ring the neck out of is a lot of fun. I would rather ride that through the twisties than a 200hp /160kph in first gear bike.

I was flicking through the local rag in a fast food joint in Jindabyne a while back and saw this, it made me laugh.

Have a great trip, it's a good time of the year for it.

Noel

oldktmdude

Quote from: ribbert on April 26, 2018, 09:13:22 AM

I agree, I reckon a mid size bike that you can throw around, WOT most of the time, redline, use all of the gears and ring the neck out of is a lot of fun. I would rather ride that through the twisties than a 200hp /160kph in first gear bike.
Noel
It sounds like you've been riding my 400. That's exactly how you have to ride it. Keep the revs between 8,000 and 12,000, keep changing gears and point it at a corner. It's an absolute hoot to ride. 58 hp and 150kgs, Pirelli Rosso 11 tyres that stick like shit to a blanket. Grin from ear to ear every time I ride it.   
   I agree, it's the best time of year for riding, but there is no bad time, is there?
   Stay well mate. Regards, Pete. :drinks:
1985 FJ1100 x2 (1 sold)
2009 TDM 900
2001 KTM 520 exc (sold)
2004 GasGas Ec300

Urban_Legend

Playing around with my Action cam last night (I finally got a computer to edit vids on) and I actually found some footage of the Mudgee Rally. Will try to cut it down a bit and post asap.

Mark
Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor
92 FJ 1200 - Project bike. Finished and sold.
84 FJ1100 - Project bike.