News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Keyster Carb Rebuild kit

Started by HydroDog, November 19, 2017, 03:05:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HydroDog

Hello All,
I'm rebuilding my carbs for my 84' and i'm in the process of reassembling them. I went to install the emulsion tube to find out it is smaller than the stock tube.  :scratch_one-s_head:
So I measured them and the old tube measured .3380" and the new one ( I have not opened the other 3 kits) measured .03347".   I'm not a carb rebuild genius, but I do realize that fuel will be pulled up past that clearance and not go through the main jet.
The old ones, I machined up a driver to tap them out. With the new ones, they fall right in; which is very convenient but I doubt it's right.

Has anyone else had this problem, and what did you do?
  Just install and hope the washer under the main jet does the sealing? Loctite? Put the old ones back in?

John

FJmonkey

Check with the Carb experts at RPM. Click on banner above. But if you are using an after market kit, they will likely offer you the correct OEM parts. They fix a lot of carbs because of after market kits.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

HydroDog

Well, opened the second kit and it's the same way. :bad:

balky1

If the hole where needle goes is not oval, your emulsion tubes are good. Clean them well, all holes must be clean, and put them back. Clean the gunk out of their seats, too. They'll go back much easier than out.

FJ 1100, 1985, sold
FJR 1300, 2009

HydroDog

Quote from: balky1 on November 20, 2017, 12:28:17 AM
If the hole where needle goes is not oval, your emulsion tubes are good. Clean them well, all holes must be clean, and put them back. Clean the gunk out of their seats, too. They'll go back much easier than out.

I ended up machining a pin gauge to check the bore that the needle passes through. So far all is good with the old ones so I have been reusing them.

balky1

OK, great.
I had some problems with Keyster also. So I don't know what to say about their products...  :negative:

FJ 1100, 1985, sold
FJR 1300, 2009

HydroDog

I received a message from RPM today and the  Keyster emulsion tubes are good to go, so I'll be installing them. Yea.

balky1

OK, good luck!
I bought needle seats with needles some two years ago from Keyster. Although they work perfectly since, I did notice a slight difference from OEMs and I had a professional to tune the floats afterwards since I couldn't do it.

FJ 1100, 1985, sold
FJR 1300, 2009