News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Hello All

Started by FJ-Heretic, September 30, 2017, 04:25:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FJ-Heretic

Hi everybody, I just joined this forum and look forward to getting some helpful advice. My username is FJ-Heretic for a good reason. Even though I've always liked the FJ, I currently have a project that I'm designing that uses an FJ chassis and a Triumph Bonneville 865cc engine. I thought that the truly devoted FJ guys would consider this blasphemy! That's where the heretic part comes from! :biggrin:

I'm a mechanical engineering designer and I like making unique motorcycles. The FJ is a great bike with a fantastic chassis and was the perfect candidate for my project. Hope to get some knowledgeable FJ guys out there to share some FJ-wisdom with me.

PaulG

Egads!  :shok:  Spawn of Satan! :diablo:  You'll probably fit right in.  The FJ chassis lends itself well to a nearly unlimited range of mods from bargain basement to outright exotic.  Check out the Files and Project sections for examples/ideas.  Many of the members have come up with some amazing stuff.

And post your project with plenty of pics or vids as you progress. Enquiring minds would like to know!

BTW- Why choose the Triumph engine? Something you had laying around or did you have to form a committee to creat an engineering study?  :scratch_one-s_head:
1992 FJ1200 ABS
YouTube Channel Paul G

FJ-Heretic

I was actually going to do a completely different project. I was going to make my old club road racer street legal.
A 1986 Yamaha FZ 600 with a built Honda XL 600 engine, FJ 1200 forks, Titanium subframe, cast magnesium wheels, Airtech body. A cool little piece when I was racing it. After dealing with CA DMV and CHP, it appeared the headache would not be worth it. So, I found this dipshit in Oakland, CA that had an entire FJ 1200 with title for next to nothing. This idiot was mechanically clueless, but knew well how to abuse a bike. So, I began researching what powerplant would be a good fit. I really wanted to make a twin and there is a ton of performance parts for the Bonneville and the added benefit of a really great Triumph dealer willing to help when needed. I'm thinking a final result of around 85HP 65-70TQ and shooting for 380 lbs. The FJ seemed a great choice, it's a great frame (I like steel), it has unboltable lower rails and the ergonomics are more suited to an older guy like me. Motor is already positioned in the frame.