News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

I have a Dream 2

Started by giantkiller, October 09, 2017, 08:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

giantkiller

Well looks like my dream has finally gotten started. I purchased the lot March of 2016. Very nice lot in the  small town of Campbellsport Wisconsin. If you Google map it. It's the big green area on the south side of Ladwig st. Things have changed a bit from when I started. Slightly smaller way more expensive. But is still going to be awesome. I'll start buy posting my plans.
86 fj1350r
86 fj1380t turbo drag toy (soon)
87 fj1200 865 miles crashed for parts
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
87 fzr750r Human Race teams world endurance champion
93 fzr600 Vance n hines ltd for sale
Custom chopper I built
Mini chopper I built for my daughter just like the big 1

FJmonkey

Awesome Dan, happy you shared the good news. That will be a sweet man cave.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Pat Conlon

Very cool Dan!  :good2:
A couple of suggestions for your consideration:
1) I don't think the Building Code (IBC in Wisconsin?) will let you run your dwelling exit thru a garage
(just a hunch)
2) Why not put you bathroom between the bedrooms? That way you can design a jack and Jill style bathroom that opens into each bedroom without having to walk down the hall.
Although I do understand the economy of having a common plumbing wall with the kitchen.

What's your construction schedule? Still planning on a geothermal radiant system?

Cheers!  Pat
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

TexasDave

Looks good Dan. I do like Pat's suggestion of putting the bathroom between the bedrooms. If you do keep the bathroom next to the kitchen make that wall 2x6 for all the plumbing and wiring in that wall. Your plumbers and electricians will thank you later. Good luck.

Dave
A pistol is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have one you will never need one again.

Steve_in_Florida

Dan,
Looks good!

Are you leaving enough room for the RV's and tents, for when you host the Annual North Central FJ Rallies?

My Dad and I were driving around Lake Dora in Mt. Dora, Florida the other day. He bicycles in that area, and has been observing various properties being built. One in particular that he wanted to show me had a semi-attached guest house/garage with room for something like 30 cars! Big house, right on the lake. More like a mansion...

If I had made better money decisions in the past, it would be mine, and I would share with all of you.

Cheers,

Steve
`90 FJ-1200
`92 FJ-1200

IBA # 54823

giantkiller

You are right Pat I put the bathroom by the kitchen for plumbing economy and ease of install. I have an acre lot. So plenty of room the deck off the living room is going to be lock dry aluminum makes it a roof also. Inspector already approved the design. Geo loops already in. And footings and Frost wall In yesterday.
86 fj1350r
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
Custom chopper I built

Firehawk068

Awesome Dan!

Keep posting the progress!  :good2:
Alan H.
Denver, CO
'90 FJ1200

giantkiller

$5000 later and all I have is 2 black pipes sticking out of the ground
86 fj1350r
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
Custom chopper I built

andyoutandabout

They are very nice black pipes though.
life without a bike is just life

giantkiller

Cutting the curb.kinda cool. Cut right through like butter.
86 fj1350r
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
Custom chopper I built

andyoutandabout

There seems to be much about construction that I do not know.
life without a bike is just life

Mark Olson

nice job , love that geothermal stuff .  :good2:
Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

" Get off your ass and Ride"

giantkiller

Going tonight after work to sign the contract for 10 kw solar system. $32,000  :good:
86 fj1350r
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
Custom chopper I built

Bill_Rockoff

Nice!

What's the HVAC system going to be? What brand / model are you going with? Your ground-loop guy is sure 6' will be deep enough to let you use it for heating in WI winters, I guess, and that's a lot of pipe for $5,000. I would have thought you would have needed a vertical loop, but I'm sure your installer knows local conditions way better than me.

At 10kW, you're going to be able to go off the grid, no? What's your battery capacity? What's your electrical rate? Any good utility incentives that you qualify for? buying outright and paying up front? I know industry talk has been "under two bucks a watt!" for smaller commercial-sized installations, but this is a great data point for residential-size installations.

In fact, I'd be happy to read as much detail on this construction project as you'd be willing to post.
Reg Pridmore yelled at me once

giantkiller

Quote from: Bill_Rockoff on October 13, 2017, 07:46:05 AM
Nice!

What's the HVAC system going to be? What brand / model are you going with? Your ground-loop guy is sure 6' will be deep enough to let you use it for heating in WI winters, I guess, and that's a lot of pipe for $5,000. I would have thought you would have needed a vertical loop, but I'm sure your installer knows local conditions way better than me.

At 10kW, you're going to be able to go off the grid, no? What's your battery capacity? What's your electrical rate? Any good utility incentives that you qualify for? buying outright and paying up front? I know industry talk has been "under two bucks a watt!" for smaller commercial-sized installations, but this is a great data point for residential-size installations.

In fact, I'd be happy to read as much detail on this construction project as you'd be willing to post.
I'm going with a Bosch 4 ton 2 stage water to water. With desuper heater. Inslab radiant heat down stairs. 3 zones. Center always heated. South storage will be the bikes (10 right now) ATV snowmobile etc. Will be heated just enough to prevent condensation. North side parts storage. Probably won't heat. But installing radiant just in case. Upper living space will be radiant using warmboard 3 zones also. Using multiaqua water fan coils for cooling center shop and upper living space. One big one down in shop. One small one In master bedroom and another big one in the living/kitchen

The geo loop guy is the one everyone uses. He just didn't a big school In Minnesota. He is down 8' will actually be more like 10' when it's all done. All the topsoil will be spread out on that side of the property.

The solar is going to be Pika energy island system. Battery ready. But no battery yet. Battery technology is really heating up. And prices coming down. This system is as big as would fit on the upper roof. Should be close to all of my usage but don't really know yet. So will get a year of usage. And see where I'm at. The lower roof has no shading either. Even at winter solstice. A couple of friends and I cut down the three huge trees on the south side of the property. 2 Maple's and a locust. The last Maple even though we Had a truck with a cable pulling on it. Decided to rotate and go straight sideways 6"shy of the neighbors shed.  It started to go backwards. Which would have put the lights out in town.
There is $2000 focus on energy rebate in Wisconsin. Plus will have net metering. At least until the utilities eliminate it. But should be grandfathered in If already running.
86 fj1350r
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
Custom chopper I built