News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

I have a Dream 2

Started by giantkiller, October 09, 2017, 08:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasDave

Quote from: giantkiller on July 02, 2018, 09:03:12 PM
The house finally got to the point that it was my turn. So I got all of the pumps and manifolds set up for the six infloor/inslab heat zones. And the 3 chilled water fan coils.
And figured out how to set up the mechanical room. With the loop pump, Bosch Geo unit, pump from the unit to the buffer tank, too the manifolds for the zone pumps. I had to drywall the inside of the mechanical room under the stairs before I could place everything.
You put the mechanical room under the stairs? Good use of the space. However I was going to ask if I could rent that space from you for my room. I would only use it in the summer. I would not take up much space. Something like Harry Potter. Oh well ...............   :biggrin:   Hope your house is coming along well.

Dave

A pistol is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have one you will never need one again.

giantkiller

Ran almost 400' of 3/4" PEX from the pumps to the six heating zones and the three.fan coils.

But then got a severe case of vertigo. Spent 3 days in the hospital with them running every test they could think of. And after probably $8 or $9000 worth of scans. They decided it was probably an inner ear infection like I told them. Spent 8 days with my eyes closed. Getting better. Going on 3 weeks now
86 fj1350r
86 fj1380t turbo drag toy (soon)
87 fj1200 865 miles crashed for parts
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
87 fzr750r Human Race teams world endurance champion
93 fzr600 Vance n hines ltd for sale
Custom chopper I built
Mini chopper I built for my daughter just like the big 1

TexasDave

Hope you are getting better. Take it easy and get some rest.

Dave
A pistol is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have one you will never need one again.

Pat Conlon

Very cool Dan. Is there a special glycol solution your run in the circulation system?
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

giantkiller

Haven't gotten that far. But yes I will be.
86 fj1350r
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
Custom chopper I built

Bill_Rockoff

Quote from: giantkiller on July 02, 2018, 09:03:12 PM...by myself, 5/8" fire rated (sheetrock). Especially the ceiling @ 12'. Don't have too many pictures.
"Because I can't lift the camera." 30 years ago I was carrying four 4x8 sheets of 1/2" drywall at a time; these days a single one can wrestle me to the ground and pin me under a cloud of gypsum if I let it get ahead of me.

Place looks GREAT! With my single-zone old-school residential system and a west-facing living room that stays uncomfortably warm all afternoon while my basement stays chilly and my backyard stays loud, I envy you with your multi-zone ground-source heat pump. At least it's relatively dry down there; maybe I'll leave the door open to the garage while I rebuild my blue-spots tomorrow.

Hope your health gets better.
Reg Pridmore yelled at me once

giantkiller

Well still a little dizzy. But have to work on the house. Got the 400' of PEX from the pump manifold to the six infloor/inslab heat zones, and the three chilled water fan coils all hooked up.  1700' of PEX in the three zones in the shop/storage down stairs. Now have 1200' of PEX to put in the three heat zones in Warmboard upstairs.
3300' of PEX total.

I've been told that having a pump for every zone is overkill  :unknown:

Here's a pic of everything hooked up to the manifolds. Not bad for a dummy that has never done HVAC. Or plumbing for that matter.
86 fj1350r
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
Custom chopper I built

giantkiller

Hey Dave I do have a second bedroom upstairs. That won't get much use.
86 fj1350r
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
Custom chopper I built

Pat Conlon

Quote from: giantkiller on July 10, 2018, 05:50:45 PM
.....I've been told that having a pump for every zone is overkill  :unknown:

Good for you, listen to your instincts....You've made the right call, a pump for each zone.
Besides, with a creative valve design, you can always have the option to combine multiple zones to run off of one pump in the event of a pump failure.
Redundancy rocks, especially in your climate zone....burrrrrr.

I love your work Dan!
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

fj johnnie

How many feet of pipe did you use per zone?

giantkiller

Quote from: fj johnnie on July 11, 2018, 06:16:24 AM
How many feet of pipe did you use per zone?
I can't remember exactly. The 2 smaller side slab zones downstairs have 2 loops each. The larger center zone has 3 loops. Going to manifolds recessed into the slabs. The 2 smaller zones upstairs have just one loop each. The larger kitchen, living room, hallway, has 4 loops. Thus the manifold in the box it has six ports. Because I was going to use actuators. But then decided to have separate pumps for each zone. So now has 2 extra ports. I decided to make a hydronic heated towel rack for the bathroom. And use one of the extra ports for that.
86 fj1350r
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
Custom chopper I built

fj johnnie

When I did mine I used 200' loops. Apparently the temperature drop on a longer loop will give uneven temps. Did you space your pipes approx. 12 inches apart? It is the most efficient way to heat at any rate. Unless you live in Iceland and can tap into a hot spring.

giantkiller

The ones in the slab are 7/8" thin wall ox barrier PEX.   If I remember right they recommended 16" with the larger PEX. 2" of foam outside of foundation. 2" foam inside the foundation cut 45deg on the top. So the slab has a foam break from the foundation. But you don't have 2" of foam showing around the perimeter of the shop floor. A 1x8 wood separation between the 3 slabs And 2" of foam under slab with plastic barrier.

Upstairs 1/2" PEX Al PEX. On 11" centers in Warmboard. Warmboard is a little more. But way more efficient.
86 fj1350r
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
Custom chopper I built

giantkiller

Just looked at my old plans for the PEX in slab. Was 12".
86 fj1350r
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
Custom chopper I built

andyoutandabout

Thread bump. Is this place finished yet?
life without a bike is just life