News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

I have a Dream 2

Started by giantkiller, October 09, 2017, 08:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

giantkiller

So get that ordeal out of the way. I have to install the meter. So  i get it all ready to go. Have to flush the line before you put the meter on. Put a piece of pex onto the ball valve and run it to the drain right there.  Call the works guy to come and turn the water on so I can flush it out.  He  turns it on outside. I open the  ball valve ccrrraaaa sounds like a frickin jet. I'm afraid it's going to blast the  1" pex clean off. I'm like that's some serious pressure.he says "yah when people buy a house in town they think the shower is going to knock them over." He said "I just left the pump house it93lbs." I think that's good lots of pressure. He leaves. And out of  curiosity I look up average house water pressure.  It says 45-50lbs. If you go over  60lbs it can cause premature alliance failures. And over 80lbs it can cause a hammer that ca split brass fittings. So i decided I had better get a  pressure reducing valve. I go to town nobody has one in stock. So I had to order one. Got one I can  rebuild.  Takes5 weeks to come in.
86 fj1350r
86 fj1380t turbo drag toy (soon)
87 fj1200 865 miles crashed for parts
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
87 fzr750r Human Race teams world endurance champion
93 fzr600 Vance n hines ltd for sale
Custom chopper I built
Mini chopper I built for my daughter just like the big 1

giantkiller

A good picture of the domestic water manifold.
86 fj1350r
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
Custom chopper I built

giantkiller

Picture of my front door. Neighbors thought I was kinda strange having an elephant on my front door. Was actually a dummy build door. Took it down and put my real door on finally.  I  put the  elephant door on the shop bathroom ($75 apiece for 2 build doors) the other one is on my mechanical room.

Help Fred. I trimmed them all. And it worked until these.
Maybe my phone is getting tired. I'll stop posting till tomorrow.
86 fj1350r
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
Custom chopper I built

T Legg

Even with normal water pressure when water is turned back on to a system that has been drained it should be done very slowly. The incoming water is like a piston in a cylinder and compresses the air in the water lines ahead of it. The pressure of the air can reach hundreds of psi and break pipes.
T Legg

giantkiller

Shop lights  drywall done all three sections. Bought the shoplights from Red Tag sale at work. Got 35 of them for $50. Converted them to  LEDS. 2600 lumans per bulb 3 bulbs per light. 8 lights in center shop. 4 lights in each side. Still in  building disaster.   :Facepalm: These are all old pictures just trying to get updated to the  present.
86 fj1350r
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
Custom chopper I built

giantkiller

Installing the  Nexdec Lockdry  aluminum decking.  It forms a  roof. Has hidden channels to  run the water. This stuff is great. Has 2 in extra  when you order 14' it comes 14'2". So it  has an overhang for water run off.  They send all the  hardware for everything. Super easy install.  Of course by myself. Have to wrap the  treated wood framing and plywood. Supposedly can  corrode the metal. I put  black steel  cladding on all the  deck framing.  To better match the house.  The deck will make a 14'x26' very high carport. Or could use it for a  covered porch downstairs after the  concrete gets poured.
86 fj1350r
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
Custom chopper I built

Troyskie

Good job mate!

I love the aluminium. Top work putting the poly film between the ally and timber. Ally has many great benefits, but part of its strength is also a weakness. It is corrosion resistant because it is highly reactive and the passive ally oxide layer forms super quick. The downside is if the ally oxide layer is depleted the ally will corrode rapidly. Ally is susceptible to alkalinity in the right conditions. Look up crevice corrosion for aluminium & you'll see some hilarious fails.

Un-anodised aluminium grows an aluminium oxide layer of around 7 micron (like the cut ege of your deck). Most building products such as aluminium doors, windows, cladding etc., have an electro-chemically grown (anodised) ally oxide layer of around 25 micron. Hard anodising can be up to 50 micron.

If the ally sits against continuously wet porous material (like plywood, mdf etc.) the water can become stagnate (depleted of oxygen).

In your case the treated timber will have other compounds that may, when wet, create either an acid or alkali, plus being covered by the ally, any damp under the cladding will remain trapped for quite a while, and become stagnate. The stagnate water will then start to hydrolise the passive ally oxide (anodising), rapidly depleting it, exposing un-protected ally. If there is any salt in the treatment of the timber the damp will become slightly acid like a mild hydrochloric acid. If there is any sulfides in the treatment, the damp will become like a mild sulfuric acid. Either way, with the depletion of the oxygen in the damp/water, the action of the hydrolysis, and introduction of a mild acid in-situ, the deck material will corrode in the affect patches, right through, in a matter of weeks (don't ask me how I know  :dash2:)

This will be the case if the ally is powder coated with a polyester as well, as polyester is also susceptible to the same softening from mild acid contact (don't use fabric softener on your polyester clothes either  :blush:).

Seeing your installation, I don't think your great grand kids will have any issues with the porch. As a rule of thumb, in severe marine environments, 25 micron ally has a corrosion rate of 1mm per 300 years (depending on the grade).

This is a great project to watch  :drinks: :good2:

Troyskie
1984 FJ1100 Ms Effie brand new :)
1984 FJ1100 Pearlie, stock as.
1985 FJ1100 Mr Effie 647,000K and still running hard.
1985 FJ1200 'Yummy' takes a licking & keeps on ticking
After all is said and done, more is said than done :)
2013 Trumpy Tiger 800, let's do a lap of Oz

giantkiller

Sorry. The  company is nexan for the  Lockdry decking on the big deck. That makes a roof.  And Nextdeck  the  regular aluminum decking. I used on balcony on the front of the house. Other than having to rip the first piece and  cutting to  length. It took less than 20 minutes for me to put it down. In the dark, after work.
The  black thing is  a pop up outlet. Code required on decks now.
86 fj1350r
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
Custom chopper I built

giantkiller

Made the railings out of  industrial railings that they use on the machines at work.  Bought the fittings out of the Red Tag sale at work. Thought this is going to be cheap and  look really kool. Well had to buy  several more fittings at retail $17-$29 apiece. And  stainless cable, the fittings, cutters, and the hydraulic crimper. Then I  wanted to make the  horizontal pipes black.  Ended up with  black anodized.  Cost  $2600 for those. Had to drill a couple million holes for the cables.
86 fj1350r
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
Custom chopper I built

giantkiller

Same on the balcony and  railings for the stairs.
86 fj1350r
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
Custom chopper I built

giantkiller

I used a barn door for the  bathroom that  matches the  front door on the house. As well as th pocket doors for the bedrooms. In stead of using the  plastic shoes that  slide on the outside of the door at the bottom. To keep the door  from moving side to side. Pulling away from the wall. I glued 1/4" stainless rods sticking out of the floor. And routered a channel in the bottom of the doors. To slide over the rods so you can't see it. And it won't rub the paint of the outside of the bottom of the doors.

I trim all of the  pictures  and still  some turn. Maybe my phone is getting tired again
86 fj1350r
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
Custom chopper I built

giantkiller

I installed my own central vac. Man it really sucks. Ran the tubing along the ceiling and  wall in the shop.
Has Hide-a-Hose system. Just  pull as much of the house out of the outlet in the wall a saw you need. Slide the lever over to hold it. Flick on the  switch. Sweep the  floor. Slide the lever back  over and it sucks the hose back into the wall. Flip the switch off. And close the outlet. And your done. I have  40' hose for upstairs. Actually reaches the  far corner of the  deck outside. And  50' downstairs.  Reaches all the  corners of the shop. I made the  external wall mount box in the  shop out of  oak plywood scraps. The  flimsy plastic one they sell costs $89.
86 fj1350r
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
Custom chopper I built

giantkiller

So my mom  bought me this  utility sink shortly before she passed away.  She said "I bought you this so you can use it in your shop."
She obviously bought it at a garage sale or something. It had no legs or anything.  I tried the  legs you can  get  for  new sinks.  Was no way to make them work.  So I  thought maybe I can get a  cabinet to put it in. Went  to  several resale  shops.  Found this one  measurements were about correct.  Was $20. But the blue tags were 20% off that day.  So $16.
My  friend  said hey I've got a  piece of diamond plate that you can use for a  counter. It  was only 24" wide so  no overhang.  But it'll work. Glued it to the oak plywood and it worked out  pretty good. I used the faucet and  soap dispenser that came with the sink in the garage cabinets  I put in the  kitchen. Bought a better one for the  kitchen sink. Cost me $16. For a pretty  nice shop sink.

Thanks Mom.  I love you.
86 fj1350r
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
Custom chopper I built

Troyskie

1984 FJ1100 Ms Effie brand new :)
1984 FJ1100 Pearlie, stock as.
1985 FJ1100 Mr Effie 647,000K and still running hard.
1985 FJ1200 'Yummy' takes a licking & keeps on ticking
After all is said and done, more is said than done :)
2013 Trumpy Tiger 800, let's do a lap of Oz

giantkiller

Thanks. Was hoping it wasn't too Boring.

I rented a  bobcat $248 for the  whole weekend. Picked it up early Friday morning. Had to have it back by 9 am Monday morning.
A friend of mine is  a backhoe  operator 30+ years.  So he  ran it.
Had 37 yards of  gravel delivered. 2 quad axle dump trucks full. Could have used another. He spread it out and made a  driveway around the back of the house. 6' off the house. Filled that with round rock left over from foundation.  And  14' across  for the drive. Then he  started getting rid of the  pile of dirt that was from  grading the lot for the foundation. Spreading it out.  Filling in around the house and yard. I  used the neighbors wheelbarrow and  picked rocks while he went back for more dirt. Then hauling it back to the far corner of the lot. And putting it on  a steep  embankment. That's too steep to mow. Just about killed me.  All but the  really big ones I hauled back there in the wheelbarrow. Then it started raining  Sunday and had to stop. Still have a  pile  about 8-10' high by about 20' long. Have to spread it out after the  concrete goes in next year.
86 fj1350r
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
Custom chopper I built