News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Sorry California

Started by FJ1100mjk, October 10, 2017, 09:22:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FJ1100mjk

Platinum Zircon-encrusted Gold Member

Iron Balls #00002175
www.ironballs.com

ZOA NOM

"Elections have consequences." - Barack Obama
Rick

Current:
2010 Honda VFR1200 DCT (Full Auto!)
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
1987 Porsche 911 Carrera (Race)
1988 Porsche Carrera (Street)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1993 FJ1200ABS (RIP my collar bone)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca

1tinindian

"I want to be free to ride my machine without being hassled by the "man"!
91 FJ1200

racerrad8

Trump issued Federal Emergency funds just six days after Moonbeam Brown enacted sanctuary state status in violation of Federal law.

VP Pence was also at the Office of Emergency Services (OES) yesterday. He is supporting California even though he walked out of the Colts/49er Game after California football players took a knee at the game disrespecting our country.

http://www.kcra.com/article/trump-approves-disaster-relief-declaration-for-norcal/12819898

Seems the Federal Government has the backs of all California's; not just those lawmakers in the big cities pushing, implementing and condoning illegal activities in the state.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

FJ1100mjk

Iron Balls #00002175
www.ironballs.com

Brook

...... someone say, secede!!

FJ1100mjk

Quote from: ZOA NOM on October 11, 2017, 11:28:05 AM
"Elections have consequences." - Barack Obama
"Erections have consequences." - John Holmes

Iron Balls #00002175
www.ironballs.com

Flynt

Quote from: racerrad8 on October 11, 2017, 12:13:31 PM
California football players took a knee at the game disrespecting our country.

The protest came from, as we all know, the accused institutional racism that permeates our country and our flag demonstrated by the apparent unjust treatment of black youths by police.  Several cases to point at that make this protest valid and respecting our flag is having the courage to make your point and share your position.

I fought for the flag and support the protest...  I vote, I argue, I try to educate, but I don't take a public stand for something I believe needs fixing in society.  Good job guys.

Frank
There's plenty of time for sleep in the grave...

ZOA NOM

Quote from: Flynt on October 11, 2017, 05:44:19 PM
Quote from: racerrad8 on October 11, 2017, 12:13:31 PM
California football players took a knee at the game disrespecting our country.

The protest came from, as we all know, the accused institutional racism that permeates our country and our flag demonstrated by the apparent unjust treatment of black youths by police.  Several cases to point at that make this protest valid and respecting our flag is having the courage to make your point and share your position.

I fought for the flag and support the protest...  I vote, I argue, I try to educate, but I don't take a public stand for something I believe needs fixing in society.  Good job guys.

Frank

I too fought for our flag, and I too believe they have the right to make their protest as they see fit. Unfortunately for them, it will cost them, because the fans will also retain their right to protest. Bye NFL, it was fun once upon a time...
Rick

Current:
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca

Mike Ramos

Gentlemen,

Politics aside, perhaps another perspective which is more inclusive, perhaps I should say more encompassing or comprehensive because we all are effected by the long term consequences/outcome.

"......the erosion of the legal rights that make law a shield of the innocent instead of a weapon in the hands of government. Without the protection of law, rich and poor alike are at the mercy of government..."

And perhaps more importantly, especially the last sentence: 

"....Americans have forgotten what it takes to remain free. Instead, every ideology, every group is determined to use government to advance its agenda. As the government's power grows, the people are eclipsed..."

Kind of wish I had written those words.

On & on we go,

Mike.

PaulG

Since we're quoting....

"It is unpleasing to represent our affairs to our own disadvantage; yet it is necessary to shew the evils which we desire to be removed."
Samuel Johnson 1775   :scratch_one-s_head:
1992 FJ1200 ABS
YouTube Channel Paul G

Bill_Rockoff

I know we all hope for the best for everyone in California. I'll put out there the same thing I did to my friends and family as they began to cope with the various problems in Las Vegas, Puerto Rico, Florida, and Houston over the last few weeks:

Let me know if you need to come stay for a while, I have plenty of room.

I have to agree with the OP that the president's priorities, as reflected in his Twitter feed, seem to be somewhat different than a lot of us would have hoped.  

Quote from: racerrad8 on October 11, 2017, 12:13:31 PM...football players took a knee at the game disrespecting our country.

Randy - RPM

With all the news coverage in the last couple of years, anyone who watches "taking a knee" and sees only "disrespecting our country" seems wildly misinformed, possibly deliberately so.  Especially because "taking a knee" is an evolution of these protests, which began as "sitting out the national anthem" until it was pointed out that "sitting can be seen as disrespectful, maybe you should take a knee instead because that conveys respect."

Protesters: The police kill unarmed citizens who look like me far too often, seemingly just because 'they look like me.' And there are no consequences for them. This isn't right, and it should be changed.

Anti-protesters: HOW DARE YOU QUESTION OUR BOYS IN BLUE? OF COURSE IT'S RIGHT - YOU CAN TELL IT WAS RIGHT BECAUSE A POLICEMAN DID IT. IF YOU QUESTION THE POLICE, YOU QUESTION THE VERY IDEA OF LAW AND ORDER. WHY DO YOU HATE AMERICA??

Is it the whole notion of protesting that's the problem?  "Everything is fine, nothing to complain about here, I've never had that happen to me and I've never seen it happen to you, so obviously it isn't really happening to anyone anywhere, and you must just be a malcontent."  

Is it that the stuff they're protesting isn't really a problem? "Well, sure, it was bad when police killed that Australian lady in Chicago, but usually the perp has it coming."

There was an interesting thread here a few days ago, about that police officer who pulled a weapon on a motorcyclist in traffic.
http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=17248.0

I would be curious to know who among us would have felt it would have been acceptable for this video to have ended in "emptying the clip."

If that started to happen to us, or people like us, a few times a year, I would be curious to know who among us would object to roadracers taking a knee before races to draw attention to it in an effort to help get it to stop.
Reg Pridmore yelled at me once

ZOA NOM

Interesting you bring up the cop pulling the gun on the rider. What we didn't get to see was whatever happened prior to the cop pulling up on the rider. We have no idea, and we should allow the full story to influence our reactions. Also of note, is the fact that the officer DID NOT empty the magazine, in spite of his obvious elevated stress level. This is due to his discipline, but more importantly, due to the RIDER's reaction. He remained calm and non-threatening to the officer. This is NOT the case in so many of the situations that have been used to justify these "protests". In almost EVERY case, the "suspect" refused to follow orders, became combative, and reacted in a way that placed the officer in conflict. Now, you can wander the extremes of the arguments to justify your position, but real people, with real concerns on both sides know better. The extremes are NOT the norm, and we need to quit acting like they are.

Rick

Current:
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca

TexasDave

Quote from: ZOA NOM on October 13, 2017, 02:01:24 PM
Interesting you bring up the cop pulling the gun on the rider. What we didn't get to see was whatever happened prior to the cop pulling up on the rider. We have no idea, and we should allow the full story to influence our reactions. Also of note, is the fact that the officer DID NOT empty the magazine, in spite of his obvious elevated stress level. This is due to his discipline, but more importantly, due to the RIDER's reaction. He remained calm and non-threatening to the officer. This is NOT the case in so many of the situations that have been used to justify these "protests". In almost EVERY case, the "suspect" refused to follow orders, became combative, and reacted in a way that placed the officer in conflict. Now, you can wander the extremes of the arguments to justify your position, but real people, with real concerns on both sides know better. The extremes are NOT the norm, and we need to quit acting like they are.

We don't get to see what transpired before the stop of this motorcyclist but in my opinion this officer totally overreacted to the situation and escalated this stop. Pulling his gun was not justified for a traffic infraction. If the officer had fired it would have also endangered everyone in the cars surrounding this rider. When I am stopped for speeding I don't expect to be looking at the barrel of a gun. A well deserved ticket would be appropriate. This shows an excessive use of force and this is the point of this video. This is also the point of most of the protests. With the advent of cell phones and body cams the excessive use of force by law enforcement is becoming more visible. I am happy to see more police departments using body cams and more citizens recording the police. Cameras don't lie. I am not anti police. Before my uncle retired he was Chief of Detectives for a major US city and in his 28 year career never fired his weapon. Currently one of my children is a law enforcement officer in Texas. I hope she never has to use hers.

Dave  
A pistol is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have one you will never need one again.

fj1289

I usually don't stick my nose into these discussions......

If an NFL wants to bring attention to the issue on national tv during game time, then after a touchdown or big play, instead of thumping their chest and dancing about "look at me I'm the greatest" — maybe that's when they should take a knee instead.