News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

The best thing

Started by Urban_Legend, October 13, 2017, 03:14:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Urban_Legend

I did then best thing with my FJ today. I got to ride it. It is now parked in my driveway, while I enjoy a quality red and look at it. Doesn't get any better.
Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor
92 FJ 1200 - Project bike. Finished and sold.
84 FJ1100 - Project bike.

aviationfred

I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

Mark Olson

A ride on your FJ is always a good thing.  :drinks:
Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

" Get off your ass and Ride"

Sparky84

Did you get far or just crusing?

Getting close to Jacaranda Festival isn't it?

Quote from: Urban_Legend on October 13, 2017, 03:14:08 AM
Doesn't get any better.
Only if you ride again tomorrow.... :good:
1984 FJ1100
1979 Kawasaki Z1300
1972 Honda CB750/4 K2

FJ1100mjk

Quote from: Mark Olson on October 13, 2017, 03:43:12 AM
A ride on your FJ is always a good thing.  :drinks:

Unless it runs like shit, dies on you while going down the road, or doesn't start or catches fire when you stop for something.  :rofl2:
Platinum Zircon-encrusted Gold Member

Iron Balls #00002175
www.ironballs.com

Pat Conlon

Mark, that's love....when you park your bike and as you walk away, you find yourself turning around and admiring at her....

I think the FJ is one of the most beautiful bikes ever made.... Your blue and silver combo turned out bitchen!  Kudos.

You should be proud.
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

Mark Olson

Quote from: FJ1100mjk on October 13, 2017, 06:42:41 AM

Unless it runs like shit, dies on you while going down the road, or doesn't start or catches fire when you stop for something.  :rofl2:

That is bad juju ... Do not speak of such things. You should keep to the " POSITIVE WAVES MAN'.
Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

" Get off your ass and Ride"

FJ1100mjk

Quote from: Mark Olson on October 15, 2017, 02:24:58 AM
Quote from: FJ1100mjk on October 13, 2017, 06:42:41 AM

That is bad juju ... Do not speak of such things. You should keep to the " POSITIVE WAVES MAN'.

You're right. I missed the boat on that. Probably should work on that (good juju), but probably won't. I wouldn't want to disappoint anyone, by not disappointing  them.  :rofl2:
Platinum Zircon-encrusted Gold Member

Iron Balls #00002175
www.ironballs.com

Bill_Rockoff

Beautiful!

It doesn't get "better" but it gets "every bit as good, in other ways."

- Go ride it some more in the next day or two, just you and the bike you built.

- Go ride it a long way, over several days, so that you have a long trip to get comfortable with it. There will be hours where your every thought is nothing but "this ride, in this place at this moment, with this bike I built."

- Find a distant place to go see on it. When you park it and relax and think about it, like you are doing in that photo, you can realize "I am seeing this new and beautiful place, made more beautiful to me by the fact that I rode a motorcycle to get here."

- Do all this with friends and/or family, for an hour or for a weekend or for a week. The FJ folks or other motorcycle friends in your part of the world will all understand, because they feel that way too. A significant-other or a child who comes with you, either on the back of your FJ or on a bike of their own, will come to understand something about you in a new and deeper way than before, because they are seeing you (and you are seeing them) have this profound experience.

Enjoy.
Reg Pridmore yelled at me once

TexasDave

I did then best thing with my FJ today. I got to ride it. It is now parked in my driveway, while I enjoy a quality red and look at it. Doesn't get any better.
The feeling of having solved any problems with these old bikes, getting them back on the road and riding them, to me is greater satisfaction than just buying a new bike and riding. I guess I am a little strange in getting some satisfaction from wrenching and maintaining also. But judging from this forum I don't think I'm alone in this regard.

Dave
A pistol is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have one you will never need one again.

giantkiller

Quote from: TexasDave on October 15, 2017, 10:50:37 AM
The feeling of having solved any problems with these old bikes, getting them back on the road and riding them, to me is greater satisfaction than just buying a new bike and riding. I guess I am a little strange in getting some satisfaction from wrenching and maintaining also. But judging from this forum I don't think I'm alone in this regard.

Dave
When I was young I thought "why the hell would anyone want to work on their bike. I just wanna ride" but now I understand. I really like the creating of a new old bike.
86 fj1350r
86 fj1380t turbo drag toy (soon)
87 fj1200 865 miles crashed for parts
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
87 fzr750r Human Race teams world endurance champion
93 fzr600 Vance n hines ltd for sale
Custom chopper I built
Mini chopper I built for my daughter just like the big 1

Urban_Legend

I enjoy working on my bike as much as riding it. Every change I have made to her has been an improvement. I actually get to ride it almost every day as it is my main form of transport to work.
I am planning on a long trip on her in March next year. Somewhere in the order of 4000km (3000 ish miles)

Thank you all for the compliments.

Mark
Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor

Tuned forks

Quote from: Pat Conlon on October 13, 2017, 11:50:14 AM
Mark, that's love....when you park your bike and as you walk away, you find yourself turning around and admiring at her....

I think the FJ is one of the most beautiful bikes ever made.... Your blue and silver combo turned out bitchen!  Kudos.

You should be proud.

As the weather in NorCal is still pleasant, I'm riding the FJ for errands occasionally.  The FJ experience is still new to me but I'm noticing pedestrians are casting looks my way.  Not sure if it's because the bike is old or people are appreciating it's timeless styling. Or maybe they're just thinking, "look at that old dude riding a motorcycle".  :lol:

Mark, as you're in the Land of Oz, is your summer just beginning?
1990 FJ1200-the reacher
1990 FZR 1000-crotch rocket

Urban_Legend

Mark, as you're in the Land of Oz, is your summer just beginnin

Yes it is. We had a very mild winter where I live, and can usually ride all year round, and this year we didn't even get a frost. We just got our first rain in 6 months here and even that didn't put me off getting on the bike. The FJ (any FJ) is a bike that always gets looks.

Mark
Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor