News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

I just got in a little deeper

Started by RobbieKNobbie, October 16, 2017, 09:33:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobbieKNobbie

It's happening... I'm getting in deep with this FJ. I just hauled off and bought a parts bike... it's an 89, just like mine, with an interesting paint job and no motor.

As advertised, the plastics are in pretty good shape, and this provides me with a number of parts I was missing (fairing scoop bumpers, inside fairing covers, the little ones on either side of the wind screen. And perhaps most of all, an AIRBOX - so maybe I can get rid of these individual filters and get some mid-range back.

It also gets me some spares - wheels, disks, calipers, clutch master cylinders, frame parts, levers, etc

I think I may make a set of lower clip ons from these spares... cut out 1" of rise and weld it back together? I don't know I'll have to look into that a little further.

The spare plastics will be nice when I repaint this winter, and the forks will be a great addition to my (proposed) 650 Savage --> mini-XR750 dirt tracker project.

The 'bullet holes' are just stickers

Now the down side... the Yoshimura can and mid pipe are in great shape... but the headers are SHOT. cylinders 2 and 3 are rusted through about 3/4" wide by 4 inches long... and there's little material to weld to even if I could get a torch in between there. The hole is right down where the pipes come together so access to the holes is really bad.
'90 FJ1200, '00 GSF1200, '90 ZX-10, '94 Virago 750

Tuned forks

That's a nice Yoshi muffler too.

Joe
1990 FJ1200-the reacher
1990 FZR 1000-crotch rocket

PaulG

Quote from: RobbieKNobbie on October 16, 2017, 09:33:52 AM
... it's an 89, just like mine, with an interesting paint job...

I'd say!  :sarcastic:  I especially like those red brake discs - disco inferno ! :music:
1992 FJ1200 ABS
YouTube Channel Paul G