News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Refreshing my engine found this

Started by Mike m, November 04, 2017, 09:00:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

racerrad8

Quote from: balky1 on February 14, 2018, 04:09:47 AM
How come the space between cylinders 1-2 is smaller than between 3-4?

It is an optical illusion from the light refraction.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

balky1

Quote from: racerrad8 on February 14, 2018, 12:14:31 PM
Quote from: balky1 on February 14, 2018, 04:09:47 AM
How come the space between cylinders 1-2 is smaller than between 3-4?

It is an optical illusion from the light refraction.

Randy - RPM

Indeed, now I see it.  :Facepalm:
I am waiting for the new glasses to arrive.... :lol:

FJ 1100, 1985, sold
FJR 1300, 2009

Mike m

I'd like to take a second to say thank you to randy and Robert at RPM.Those guys are are great people.they really helped with this whole engine rebuild procee.again thanks so much RPM

Mike m

Recieved my completed engine today very pleased so far.however I didn't get a RPM sticker or t-shirt .

Mike m

racerrad8

Quote from: Mike m on March 15, 2018, 07:32:21 PM
Recieved my completed engine today very pleased so far.however I didn't get a RPM sticker or t-shirt .

Shane, sorry we overlooked the decals and or shirt. I'm not at the shop now, but I do know I have been out of XL shirts for quite sometime.

The decals, we just plain forgot. :Facepalm:

As you know,  we had a plate full of problems with the computer crash over the weekend. The recovery of the data was the top priority so we could get the invoice back and be able to create the shipping labels.

Once I get the new shirts later this year, I'll make sure I send you one.

Randy - RPM

Randy - RPM

Mike m

That was dry humor.I how it wasn't takin in a bad way.rpm you guys over came and came threw for me .

Mike m

So these are the pistons randy supplied Thier totally different are these ok to use as I've never mixed pistons

Mike m

Changing pickup screen and pan gasket.while I'm here gonna paint a few things that need attention.

fj1289

Quote from: Mike m on March 18, 2018, 12:14:33 PM
So these are the pistons randy supplied Thier totally different are these ok to use as I've never mixed pistons

If Randy supplied them, I'd run them!  Seriously, every time I talk with Randy about the engine for the race bike build, I learn something new.  Would you think if you are going to run (very) high horsepower you would run LOWER torque on the cylinder head studs?  Every other engine build you hear about says to run heavy duty studs and increase the torque.  Do that on an FJ and you will pull the studs out of the cases. Randy knows his shit and isn't going to do anything on anyone's build to compromise his business nor his reputation. 

I don't know anything about the specs or plans for your engine, but you are in great hands.   

ribbert

Quote from: fj1289 on March 18, 2018, 08:14:32 PM

If Randy supplied them, I'd run them!  ........ Randy knows his shit and isn't going to do anything on anyone's build to compromise his business nor his reputation. 

Are you saying you would fit pistons so dissimilar in appearance and shape without question, just because you trust the supplier? Loyalty, trust, blind faith or being your buddy doesn't come into it, it's just common sense. I have seen first hand examples of this more times than I care to remember.

I don't care if God himself supplied parts, I would still check them, the onus is on the assembler to make sure they are correct before fitting and the difference in those pistons is more than enough to raise a red flag until an explanation is forthcoming, it is after all unusual.

What if he fitted them and they were wrong, everyone would look at the photo and say what an idiot, blind Freddie can see they're not the same.

Noel

Just to be perfectly clear, I have offered no opinion on the pistons other than acknowledging they are different in the photo and I have not been critical of Randy. I have only emphasised the wisdom in checking parts yourself before using them and presented a hypothetical scenario to make the point.

"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

Mike m

I'm in need of a oil cooler as rpm has a quality one.so during my purchase ill get reassurance I'm sure its a race or builders secret.its odd to me tho

racerrad8

Yes, the difference in the bottom of the pistons is just design changes from Wiseco over the years. They are opposing cylinders, is that is why the piston are matched up the way they are.

The difference in the dome finish was due to the machining of your old pistons. The domes were machined down to the same height as the replacement pistons to ensure the same compression ration in all cylinders. After the machining was completed they were de-burred/buffed.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

fj1289

Quote from: ribbert on March 19, 2018, 06:07:12 AM
Quote from: fj1289 on March 18, 2018, 08:14:32 PM

If Randy supplied them, I'd run them!  ........ Randy knows his shit and isn't going to do anything on anyone's build to compromise his business nor his reputation. 

Are you saying you would fit pistons so dissimilar in appearance and shape without question, just because you trust the supplier? Loyalty, trust, blind faith or being your buddy doesn't come into it, it's just common sense. I have seen first hand examples of this more times than I care to remember.

I don't care if God himself supplied parts, I would still check them, the onus is on the assembler to make sure they are correct before fitting and the difference in those pistons is more than enough to raise a red flag until an explanation is forthcoming, it is after all unusual.

What if he fitted them and they were wrong, everyone would look at the photo and say what an idiot, blind Freddie can see they're not the same.

Noel

Just to be perfectly clear, I have offered no opinion on the pistons other than acknowledging they are different in the photo and I have not been critical of Randy. I have only emphasised the wisdom in checking parts yourself before using them and presented a hypothetical scenario to make the point.

I agree it's on the assembler to ensure everything is correct.   If there is a question, I always think the right thing to do is ask the source directly vice taking it online.   

When it comes to checking the work, what and how do you check?  What you can?  What you have the tools to do?  What you have the know how and experience with the tools to do?  I'm sure I could take the same micrometer as Randy and get different measurements because my " touch" is different.  Experience and expertise counts!  (Besides the fact I don't even own a mic — how many here do?  And how many can use it to measure with repeatability?)

I buy used stuff or discounted stuff or stuff for a different purpose all the time.   The onus is completely on me when I do that. 

When I pay someone for their expertise and experience - whether engine building or house repairs or aircraft modifications, part of that payment is the expert accepting responsibility for a job properly done.   

When I have a question about a plane I'm getting ready to test, I don't go around asking the other pilots or project managers.  I go straight to the mechanic or engineer - the person with the knowledge, the details on the project, and the expertise and experience.  My trust in that person is essential, and the relationship I develop with them is extremely beneficial to getting the job done well.

None of us reading the post about the different appearances of the pistons have any knowledge on the job that was hired out.   It appears the job was to replace a partial set of pistons vice providing a full set of pistons.   It appears the original piston is no longer available.  The replacement piston from the same manufacturer seems to be a slightly different design.  Quite a bit of expertise and experience went into masking those replacement pistons a good match for this engine within the given constraints.  Again, all things us readers on the internet were not aware of — exactly why this question should have gone straight to the source.   

Pat Conlon

I appreciate Mike asking the question on this forum and I appreciate Randy's response.

Sure, the question could have been asked privately via e-mail, but then I would have not gained the benefit of Randy's knowledge.

It's all good :i_am_so_happy:
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3