News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Refreshing my engine found this

Started by Mike m, November 04, 2017, 09:00:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike m

I'm very proud to do business with randy as he's gone far and above my expectations.thank you and this forum for its guidance

Bill_Rockoff

Somebody would deliberately build a 4-cylinder engine with two different types of pistons?

Ya learn something new every day.
Reg Pridmore yelled at me once

FJ_Hooligan

Just a question;
Pistons 2 & 3 look to have a hole drilled in the wrist pin land.  Is that for splash oiling of the pin?

Is it any concern that 1 & 4 do not have that hole?
DavidR.

fj1289

Quote from: Bill_Rockoff on March 19, 2018, 03:04:42 PM
Somebody would deliberately build a 4-cylinder engine with two different types of pistons?

Ya learn something new every day.

I'll bet those four pistons are closer in weight than the production tolerances on the stockers. 

As far as building with different pistons — not the first choice I'm sure, but — depends on your goals and needs.  All out race engine - maybe - especially if it means getting a damaged engine back together for the next event/race/heat/round!  In order to get an engine back on the street within a budget?  Yep!  Bet it'll go 100,000+ miles with no issues. 

Just slap any old set off random pistons together without regard to compression height, matching weights, etc - No!  Because then you are just relying on luck (but the funny part is, an FJ would probably run good and long even that way lol)

FJ1100mjk

Quote from: FJ_Hooligan on March 19, 2018, 04:27:59 PM
Just a question;
Pistons 2 & 3 look to have a hole drilled in the wrist pin land.  Is that for splash oiling of the pin?

The holes on the wrist pin lands are only necessary to relieve potential pumping losses in the cam chain tunnel that cylinders two and three are adjacent to. The holes are not necessary on pistons for cylinders one and four, due to their respective distances from the cam chain's tunnel.
Platinum Zircon-encrusted Gold Member

Iron Balls #00002175
www.ironballs.com

Pat Conlon

Quote from: FJ1100mjk on March 19, 2018, 05:05:04 PM
Just a question;
Pistons 2 & 3 look to have a hole drilled in the wrist pin land.  Is that for splash oiling of the pin?

The holes on the wrist pin lands are only necessary to relieve potential pumping losses in the cam chain tunnel that cylinders two and three are adjacent to. The holes are not necessary on pistons for cylinders one and four, due to their respective distances from the cam chain's tunnel.

Marty, I don't understand, can you help me?
 How do these holes thru to the piston pins, relieve pressures?
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

fj1289

Quote from: Pat Conlon on March 19, 2018, 05:26:58 PM
Just a question;
Pistons 2 & 3 look to have a hole drilled in the wrist pin land.  Is that for splash oiling of the pin?

Sounds like he is talking about the crank case webs

racerrad8

Just a question;

Once again, a upgrade in design from Wiseco from the earlier version.

That is actually a drain hole for the oil to the wrist pin. The oil control ring land has a diagonal hole drilled in it to supply oil to the wrist pin. The early version just leaked out from either side of the boss.

The new version uses the drain hole.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

FJ1100mjk

Quote from: Pat Conlon on March 19, 2018, 05:26:58 PM

Yea, they're there for oil drainage.

Sounded pretty authoritative though didn't it?  :rofl2:

Iron Balls #00002175
www.ironballs.com

FJ_Hooligan

Thanks Randy, that makes perfect sense.

Marty,
Nice try but everyone knows that the cam chain tunnel pumping losses are relieved by the auto adjusting cam chain plunger and the oil filter bypass valve. :-)
DavidR.

FJ1100mjk

Quote from: FJ_Hooligan on March 19, 2018, 08:16:52 PM

Marty,
Nice try but everyone knows that the cam chain tunnel pumping losses are relieved by the auto adjusting cam chain plunger and the oil filter bypass valve. :-)

Must've missed that in the FSM. Probably in the back somewhere.

Iron Balls #00002175
www.ironballs.com

Pat Conlon

Pumping Pressures? Naaaa, not for me, I'm running an electric vacuum pump like the pro stock guys run.

Something I really think Chris should look into....
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

Mike m

As I was clean I g my oil pan after work last night I came across jb weld inside my oil pan as the previous owner repaired a crack in the pan.if randy hadn't recommend to me to change the pickup screen i would never have found that.

ribbert

Quote from: racerrad8 on March 19, 2018, 11:50:57 AM

They are opposing cylinders, is that is why the piston are matched up the way they are.

Randy - RPM

If the pistons are physically the same, why does that matter?

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

JMR

Quote from: fj1289 on March 19, 2018, 12:46:12 PM
Quote from: ribbert on March 19, 2018, 06:07:12 AM
Quote from: fj1289 on March 18, 2018, 08:14:32 PM
Quote from: Mike m on March 18, 2018, 12:14:33 PM
So these are the pistons randy supplied Thier totally different are these ok to use as I've never mixed pistons

If Randy supplied them, I'd run them!  ........ Randy knows his shit and isn't going to do anything on anyone's build to compromise his business nor his reputation.  

Are you saying you would fit pistons so dissimilar in appearance and shape without question, just because you trust the supplier? Loyalty, trust, blind faith or being your buddy doesn't come into it, it's just common sense. I have seen first hand examples of this more times than I care to remember.

I don't care if God himself supplied parts, I would still check them, the onus is on the assembler to make sure they are correct before fitting and the difference in those pistons is more than enough to raise a red flag until an explanation is forthcoming, it is after all unusual.

What if he fitted them and they were wrong, everyone would look at the photo and say what an idiot, blind Freddie can see they're not the same.

Noel

Just to be perfectly clear, I have offered no opinion on the pistons other than acknowledging they are different in the photo and I have not been critical of Randy. I have only emphasised the wisdom in checking parts yourself before using them and presented a hypothetical scenario to make the point.

When it comes to checking the work, what and how do you check?  What you can?  What you have the tools to do?  What you have the know how and experience with the tools to do?  I'm sure I could take the same micrometer as Randy and get different measurements because my " touch" is different.  Experience and expertise counts!  (Besides the fact I don't even own a mic — how many here do?  And how many can use it to measure with repeatability?)
When it comes to swapping pistons I'd start with weight and move to crown displacement/shape. As for mics.....I'd suggest digital read out mics....they are easier to use if you want to get into precision tool measurements.