News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Happy Veteran's Day to all who served

Started by ZOA NOM, November 11, 2017, 11:57:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZOA NOM

I know, at our ages, many of us served, and I wanted to say thanks from one veteran to another. My choice to leave home and join the Navy was the single best decision I've ever made. I know a lot of veterans feel the same way.
Rick

Current:
2010 Honda VFR1200 DCT (Full Auto!)
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
1987 Porsche 911 Carrera (Race)
1988 Porsche Carrera (Street)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1993 FJ1200ABS (RIP my collar bone)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca

Pat Conlon

I agree Rick. :good2: It was a game changer for me.

One thing I noticed after leaving Uncle Sam's employ, I went home to smoggy Covina, Calif and the town sure looked small, stifling small.
All my old friends were still hanging out at the same neighborhood beer bar, they never went anywhere, or seen anything, or done anything...they were (still are) stuck, living their life not traveling more than 20 miles from their home. I had nothing in common with them anymore.
I could not pack my duffel bag fast enough.

I have the opinion, like the Swiss and Israelis, that every man (who is capable) should spend 2 years in public service, the armed services, Peace Corp, etc...

Your view of the world and of your life will change, You will grow up. Get off of mom and dad's couch. Learn to make your own bed, etc....

Happy Veteran's Day guys, not just in the US, but also to all our brothers from other countries.
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

FJmonkey

Break out of the shell of the comfort zone. See more of the world, even if is the town next over. Experience how we are quite different, and still very much the same. My limited experiences out side of the USA is important to my view of the world. I look forward to more experiences in different countries and cultures.  Get out and learn how we are quite similar and accommodating to what looks like different.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

red

I agree with Robert Heinlein ("Starship Troopers"), if you want to be a Citizen and vote, or run for office, then military service is required.  You can vegetate if you wish, sure, but then you are simply a taxpayer and a native of your country; you can not be a Citizen.  You will NOT be any part of the guiding of your nation.
Maybe if that were true in the USA, we would not have any draft-dodgers in office.     :bye2:  

From one vet to all other vets, my best wishes on this day.  
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

Flynt

Quote from: Pat Conlon on November 11, 2017, 12:28:17 PM
like the Swiss and Israelis, that every man (who is capable) should spend 2 years in public service, the armed services, Peace Corp, etc...

In Israel anyway it is both men and women that must serve.  Israel also has I'd suggest the most innovative culture on the planet...  I was there a month ago scanning for new technology Startups and they're abundant.  Turns out the military background also produces "cells" of your colleagues that can come together quickly and already know how to work well together.  Read up on a LiDAR company named Innoviz for a good example.  They're rocking the Autonomous Vehicle world and went from concept to product in 8 months...  first ~25 employees came from a secret army unit using similar technology for other applications.  I'm in the accepted innovation center for the past several decades (Si Valley), but we've got some stiff competition now.

I'm biased admittedly, but have always hired ex-milllitary preferentially and I would never hire a draft dodger or any other fucking crook knowingly.  I hate cry babies and that's one attribute that won't survive military service...  Imagining a non-cry baby POTUS right now...

Frank
There's plenty of time for sleep in the grave...

1tinindian

"I want to be free to ride my machine without being hassled by the "man"!
91 FJ1200