News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

New York to Cali...or bust

Started by racerrad8, November 16, 2017, 11:37:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

axiom-r

That's looking really good Randy.  Have you done the swing arm pivot yet?  its exciting to see another FJ going the R1 route!

T
1992 FJ1200 w 2007 R1 Front & Rear

racerrad8

Quote from: axiom-r on March 12, 2018, 03:01:15 PM
That's looking really good Randy.  Have you done the swing arm pivot yet?  its exciting to see another FJ going the R1 route!

T

Yes, but I went a different way. I am awaiting those parts and hope they get here this week.

Stay tuned.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

fj1289

Beautiful work on that steering stem!   :good2:

racerrad8

On the swing arm pivot, I went with a way that I thought was less work for fitment. When Tim did his, he cut the inner R1 bearing spacer to length and then had internal bushings made to reduce the internal size for the FJ swing arm bolt. The problem with that I believe is the difficulty keeping the bearing surfaces perfectly aligned during the welding.

I had bushings machined to fit the stock FJ swing arm bearings into the swing arm. That way I did not have to cut, hold precisely the R1 swing arm inner bearing race while welding.

So, with the removal of the material from the outside edges of the R1 swing arm to match the overall width of the FJ swing arm, the only other modification required was the fabrication of the bushings for the FJ inner bearing spacer in the R1 swing arm.

We should be having some mock up time of the next couple of weeks to see how it worked out.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

Millietant

Just thought I'd bump this thread back to the top - seems like no news for 5 months !

Separately Randy - what paint did you use on the engine - I'm repainting mine but am not sure which is the best to use ....too many options for me to just pick one without some feedback.

Cheers.
Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.

racerrad8

Quote from: Millietant on August 03, 2018, 02:56:41 PM
Just thought I'd bump this thread back to the top - seems like no news for 5 months !

Separately Randy - what paint did you use on the engine - I'm repainting mine but am not sure which is the best to use ....too many options for me to just pick one without some feedback.

Cheers.

Yeah, once spring hits business picks up and major projects have to get put on the back burner. We have made a few small progressions, but I have not photographed anything to write it up yet. We have the steering lock finally sorted out I believe...that has been one step forward and two steps back. Now we have to start on getting the steering stops modified.

Once that is complete, I think we will be ready to paint on the frame and the final coat of paint on the engine.

For the engine paint we use, PJ1 Gloss Black Engine & Case Paint.

There will be more updates as we start getting int the fall months when the racing and riding seasons stop for the winter.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

Millietant

Thanks Randy, that's great.

I'm in the middle of giving my '89 3CV a bit of a middle-age spruce up. Hopefully it'll be ready before the good weather breaks.

Cheers.
Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.

Troyskie

1984 FJ1100 Ms Effie brand new :)
1984 FJ1100 Pearlie, stock as.
1985 FJ1100 Mr Effie 647,000K and still running hard.
1985 FJ1200 'Yummy' takes a licking & keeps on ticking
After all is said and done, more is said than done :)
2013 Trumpy Tiger 800, let's do a lap of Oz

RPM - Robert

Quote from: Troyskie on August 19, 2018, 02:06:31 AM
(popcorn)

Sorry Troyskie...nothing new since this post earlier this month.

My dad did shoot down my thoughts on the steering lock modification, but that is how I learn :good2:

Quote from: racerrad8 on August 04, 2018, 12:07:43 PM
Yeah, once spring hits business picks up and major projects have to get put on the back burner. We have made a few small progressions, but I have not photographed anything to write it up yet. We have the steering lock finally sorted out I believe...that has been one step forward and two steps back. Now we have to start on getting the steering stops modified.

Randy - RPM

Troyskie

1984 FJ1100 Ms Effie brand new :)
1984 FJ1100 Pearlie, stock as.
1985 FJ1100 Mr Effie 647,000K and still running hard.
1985 FJ1200 'Yummy' takes a licking & keeps on ticking
After all is said and done, more is said than done :)
2013 Trumpy Tiger 800, let's do a lap of Oz

Tuned forks

This was a good thread to read while there were updates.  Amazing the corrosion that occurred with only about 3k miles.  I was thinking about whether it would be safe to blast an engine without any media incursion into the vital areas.  Apparently it is possible.  I like the exhaust caps you guys use.  What about the intake side?  I'm guessing vacuum caps for the various hoses/vents?  Now if customers would only stop sending in their carburetors and ordering parts, Randy would have time to finish this project.  :sarcastic: But, that's a good problem for a business to have.
1990 FJ1200-the reacher
1990 FZR 1000-crotch rocket

racerrad8

Quote from: Tuned forks on September 22, 2018, 01:37:08 PM
This was a good thread to read while there were updates.  Amazing the corrosion that occurred with only about 3k miles.  I was thinking about whether it would be safe to blast an engine without any media incursion into the vital areas.  Apparently it is possible.  I like the exhaust caps you guys use.  What about the intake side?  I'm guessing vacuum caps for the various hoses/vents?  Now if customers would only stop sending in their carburetors and ordering parts, Randy would have time to finish this project.  :sarcastic: But, that's a good problem for a business to have.

You'll get to see it in person in a couple of weeks...

Once we get past the RPM Fall rally we seem to drop right into the colder weather and the riding season winds down quickly.

Progress will again start shortly.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

RPM - Robert

Got some fairing work done yesterday. Fabbed up some new tabs using PlastiFix. Thanks to Rick who was telling us about it at one of our get togethers and whoever else has used this stuff. It is amazing. Completely fabricated new tabs and after it hardened you would be hard pressed to break them off without trying to purposefully or dropping the bike.

ZOA NOM

Isn't it great stuff? I still have no cracks in my fender tabs.
Rick

Current:
2010 Honda VFR1200 DCT (Full Auto!)
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
1987 Porsche 911 Carrera (Race)
1988 Porsche Carrera (Street)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1993 FJ1200ABS (RIP my collar bone)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca

Tuned forks

Damn Robert, that's a lot of plastic repair for a machine with just 3k miles.

Rick, where is it sold locally or is it an online purchase?

Joe
1990 FJ1200-the reacher
1990 FZR 1000-crotch rocket