News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

West Coast,RSA summer project

Started by aj52, November 17, 2017, 12:12:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FJmonkey

Well.... Get on with it then. You have my address Fred. Then we can add one gem for to the files section.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

aj52

Quote from: aviationfred on November 28, 2017, 05:03:24 AM
Quote from: FJmonkey on November 27, 2017, 11:23:29 AM
Quote from: giantkiller on November 27, 2017, 06:20:50 AM
Sorry Hannes I don't have a set on hand and have Long since lost the plans I had drawn up. I just order a set from the machinist. He has saved the program for the CNC machine. He has a spare set right now but I'm sure shipping would be prohibitive.
Dan, I can reverse engineer that set if they are not needed right away.

Mark,

I actually have set of Dan's extensions that are not yet in use.

Fred

Fred,

With Dan's permission,can you please give me dimensions of the piece?
The outside diameter of piece that goes over fork and the wall thickness of that piece.(inside diameter is 50mm).
The length of bigger piece where it start to recess.

The OD off recess part is 50mm.
What is the wall thickness on recess part.

Dan

If it is all right and in order with you,may Fred give me the dimensions on the extenders please?

Thanks
Hannes
Current:                              
1991 FJ 1200 ABS
1991 FJ 1200

FJmonkey

I have the concept, I just need to verify the machining details and dimensions so I can make a proper drawing.

aj52

Quote from: FJmonkey on November 28, 2017, 04:00:03 PM
I have the concept, I just need to verify the machining details and dimensions so I can make a proper drawing.

Thanks Mark

The idea that I have for using OEM clip-ons, is to machine a 41mm OD piece which threads into the extender piece. So when one wants to make adjustments on the forks,you can just take off clip-ons,unscrew the 41mm piece to gain access to the top of the fork.
This is only an idea that I have,hope it will be feasible.

Hannes
Current:                              
1991 FJ 1200 ABS
1991 FJ 1200

FJmonkey

Quote from: aj52 on November 28, 2017, 04:11:53 PM
Thanks Mark

The idea that I have for using OEM clip-ons, is to machine a 41mm OD piece which threads into the extender piece. So when one wants to make adjustments on the forks,you can just take off clip-ons,unscrew the 41mm piece to gain access to the top of the fork.
This is only an idea that I have,hope it will be feasible.

Hannes
So the part that the bars clamp on to are threaded into the GSXR adapter. Do you have an idea how to keep the threads from turning when there is a load on the bar like hard braking?

aj52

Mark

The OEM clip-ons for the FJ has an hole for allen-cap bolt that threads into yoke. Won't that prevent the clip-ons from moving for hard braking etc.?

Current:                              
1991 FJ 1200 ABS
1991 FJ 1200

aj52

Quote from: aj52 on November 28, 2017, 05:07:11 PM
Mark

The OEM clip-ons for the FJ has an hole for allen-cap bolt that threads into yoke. Won't that prevent the clip-ons from moving for hard braking etc.?

Or make a shoulder on the piece and cut an recess at bottom of clip-ons so that it is flush. Say about 2mm or so.
That will also prevent piece from turning

Hannes
Current:                              
1991 FJ 1200 ABS
1991 FJ 1200

giantkiller

Yes I'm not making any money off them. I just think it's cool that something I came up with an improved on with the second generation is something good and others can use. Be sure to put the bolts in from opposite sides for the 2 pieces. Makes it more convenient to get at the Allen's.  The machinist only had access to black Allen's. I put stainless ones in.

Hannes. Like I said I made the little extensions for the locating pins for the clippons. When up in touring position.
But I decided not to use them. As long as you have the clamps tight on the top triple and the clamps for the clippons. They won't rotate. I bent the second set of aluminum ones I made too thin (thinking lighter is better) and didn't rotate them. And I had the deer commit suicide on my chest and didn't rotate them. But it would be simple like you said to lock them in place. The Gixxer clippons just have a pin that goes into a hole in the top triple clamp. If you blow up the picture of the clippons I made. You can see the extensions I made for the pins.(actually look like miniture fork extensions)
86 fj1350r
86 fj1380t turbo drag toy (soon)
87 fj1200 865 miles crashed for parts
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
87 fzr750r Human Race teams world endurance champion
93 fzr600 Vance n hines ltd for sale
Custom chopper I built
Mini chopper I built for my daughter just like the big 1

aj52

Thanks Dan for the permission. Your design looks much better than the one's on the web.
I will look what to do when I receive the triple's back from my father-in-law(my machinist). He is doing it for me,just needs to buy the materials and something to keep his throat wet while he is busy with machining.

What is the c-c distance of the FJ's top triple. Know the offset is 35mm. All the parts are with him for the stem to be machined and press fit and to make the spacer on top triple
Current:                              
1991 FJ 1200 ABS
1991 FJ 1200

aj52

Found the c-c of the FJ,it is 210mm according to Tarossi(www.fastfromthepast.com).
The R1('98-01) parts that I've got last weekend for front-end,has the same c-c on front-end as well as same offset.
Current:                              
1991 FJ 1200 ABS
1991 FJ 1200

aviationfred

I did find another handle bar option.... The downside is..... It is the most expensive option. Here is the link.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Superbike-Handlebars-Conversion-KIT-SUZUKI-GSX-R-1000-01-08-BLACK-ANODISED-/272644669188

The first photo is of the Superbike bar conversion.

The second photo is from my fork conversion using the Tarozzi handle bars from Fastfromthepast.com. They are close to being half the cost of the superbike conversion. During the time that I had the USD forks. I never had movement with the Tarozzi bars. To verify this, I put a black paint stripe on the clamp area and the adaptor.

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

aj52

Received the triple's and stem today.
The spacer that comes between stem and top triple.
Forget what machinist called the process on the stem to make it not turning in lower triple,but it wasn't necessary to weld up and machine it down again to fit tight. This is what he has done to it
Current:                              
1991 FJ 1200 ABS
1991 FJ 1200

jscgdunn

Aj,
Just bit of advice.  I have done two USD front end conversions, one with an 2008 R1 front end, and one with a 2008 ZX14 front end.  For the R1 I used an FZ1 top triple and bars; this worked out well.  For the Zx14 I have a modified ZX14 top triple and LSL bars.  Not so great....I am on my second set of bars. 

If I had a "do over", I would go with the adjustable clip on bars like Fred did along with Dan's extensions.  This approach gives much more flexibility as you will need to manage interference points between the tank and fairing and find a good riding position.  My thoughts.

On the bottom triple, in the R1 case, my machinist had to lengthen the FJ stem (as it appears in your pic) and then press in.  This allows for the greater thickness of the R1 bottom triple. 

In the ZX14 case, the ZX14 stem can be used by using the bottom Zx14 bearing and race.  The top of the stem needs to be turned down to fit the top FJ bearing.

I found the R1 fork springs were fine, but I did have to replace the ZX14 springs as they were too soft.

Jeff

92 FJ1200 2008 ZX14 Forks, wheels, 2008 cbr 600 RR swingarm
92 FJ1200 2009 R1 Swinger, Forks, Wheels, 2013 CBR 1000 Shock
90 FJ 1200 (Son # 2), Stock
89 FJ 1200 Built from parts: (Brother bought it) mostly 92 parts inc. motor
84 FJ 1100 (Son #1), 89 forks wheels, blue spots

aj52

Quote from: jscgdunn on November 29, 2017, 08:01:07 AM
Aj,
Just bit of advice.  I have done two USD front end conversions, one with an 2008 R1 front end, and one with a 2008 ZX14 front end.  For the R1 I used an FZ1 top triple and bars; this worked out well.  For the Zx14 I have a modified ZX14 top triple and LSL bars.  Not so great....I am on my second set of bars.  

If I had a "do over", I would go with the adjustable clip on bars like Fred did along with Dan's extensions.  This approach gives much more flexibility as you will need to manage interference points between the tank and fairing and find a good riding position.  My thoughts.

On the bottom triple, in the R1 case, my machinist had to lengthen the FJ stem (as it appears in your pic) and then press in.  This allows for the greater thickness of the R1 bottom triple.  

In the ZX14 case, the ZX14 stem can be used by using the bottom Zx14 bearing and race.  The top of the stem needs to be turned down to fit the top FJ bearing.

I found the R1 fork springs were fine, but I did have to replace the ZX14 springs as they were too soft.

Jeff

Hi Jeff

Thank you for your input and advice on the top triple between the 2 different modifications.
I searched the info on FZ1 top triple as you suggested. It has an offset of 25mm,same as the '08 R1.
The '98-'02 R1 front-end that I have,has an 35mm offset,same as the FJ.
I'm going to fit the front-end tomorrow to get measurements for fork extenders,modify ignition switch and the stops.
Going to use the R1 top triple.
The handlebars will be sort out when I start assembling after the powdercoating of the frame and swingarm.

Hannes
Current:                              
1991 FJ 1200 ABS
1991 FJ 1200

The General

Quote from: aj52 on November 29, 2017, 03:37:07 PM
Quote from: jscgdunn on November 29, 2017, 08:01:07 AM
Aj,
Just bit of advice.  I have done two USD front end conversions, one with an 2008 R1 front end, and one with a 2008 ZX14 front end.  For the R1 I used an FZ1 top triple and bars; this worked out well.  For the Zx14 I have a modified ZX14 top triple and LSL bars.  Not so great....I am on my second set of bars.  

If I had a "do over", I would go with the adjustable clip on bars like Fred did along with Dan's extensions.  This approach gives much more flexibility as you will need to manage interference points between the tank and fairing and find a good riding position.  My thoughts.

On the bottom triple, in the R1 case, my machinist had to lengthen the FJ stem (as it appears in your pic) and then press in.  This allows for the greater thickness of the R1 bottom triple.  

In the ZX14 case, the ZX14 stem can be used by using the bottom Zx14 bearing and race.  The top of the stem needs to be turned down to fit the top FJ bearing.

Jeff

Hi Jeff

Thank you for your input and advice on the top triple between the 2 different modifications.
I searched the info on FZ1 top triple as you suggested. It has an offset of 25mm,same as the '08 R1.
The '98-'02 R1 front-end that I have,has an 35mm offset,same as the FJ.
I'm going to fit the front-end tomorrow to get measurements for fork extenders,modify ignition switch and the stops.
Going to use the R1 top triple.
The handlebars will be sort out when I start assembling after the powdercoating of the frame and swingarm.

Hannes
MINE has a really terrible turning circle. (R1 early model front end). Interested to hear how yours is. Looking at ways to improve.
`93 with downside up forks.
`78 XS11/1200 with a bit on the side.
Special edition Rocket Ship ZX14R Kwacka