News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

West Coast,RSA summer project

Started by aj52, November 17, 2017, 12:12:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FJmonkey

Thanks for posting the dimensions. I can finish my solid model and publish some engineering drawings for others with Moditus and Crack habit like budget.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

andyoutandabout

Oooh what a lovely black frame. I'm sure a powder coat will hold up well over time. I sprayed mine with truck bed liner, which produced a rather pleasing texture that hasn't chipped at all in the two years since. Also did the engine in that VHT high heat BBQ paint, and that's held up well too. The only part that looked tatty after the first year was the swing arm. Think chain lube pulled off the truck bed liner. That problem got solved by a generous, immaculately coiffured FJer and a polished unit.
Carry on projecting

life without a bike is just life

aj52

Almost a month since last posting.
I didn't done much the past few weeks because of work.
Wire harness are in and connected.

But......

Because of taken much longer than I have planned for project,I went yesterday and bought a 2nd FJ.

Current:                              
1991 FJ 1200 ABS
1991 FJ 1200

aj52

Quote from: andyoutandabout on February 10, 2018, 12:07:02 AM
Oooh what a lovely black frame. I'm sure a powder coat will hold up well over time. I sprayed mine with truck bed liner, which produced a rather pleasing texture that hasn't chipped at all in the two years since. Also did the engine in that VHT high heat BBQ paint, and that's held up well too. The only part that looked tatty after the first year was the swing arm. Think chain lube pulled off the truck bed liner. That problem got solved by a generous, immaculately coiffured FJer and a polished unit.
Carry on projecting

I bought Rust Oleum Hi Heat Ultra. They say it withstands temperature up to 648ºC (1200 degrees).
It is an BBQ paint with a smooth finish.
I want to paint it this weekend.
The aluminium pieces has pitmarks,will see how I am going to remove those marks.
The clearcoat for the aluminium can withstand 120ºC,will it last with that paint. Can't find other clearcoat with higher temperature resistance.

Hannes
Current:                              
1991 FJ 1200 ABS
1991 FJ 1200

aj52

Found a bike shop in Cape Town that can supply me with 18 front sprockets and  38 rear sprockets for the GSXR rear wheel,so it save me a lot of $$$,no need for import costs.
What I also like about this place is that they have a lot of FJ parts as well that I couldn't found at the bigger shops in RSA.
Just a shame that they don't have plastic parts as well,that would have been a great found.
Current:                              
1991 FJ 1200 ABS
1991 FJ 1200

aj52

What is the best option for the brake lines,the 2 lines direct from master or the one with the splitter in between as it is OEM?
If the 2 lines option is better,can someone give me the lenght of the lines.

Thanks
Hannes
Current:                              
1991 FJ 1200 ABS
1991 FJ 1200

FJmonkey

Recent posts report that a fork brace can contact the splitter under full compression causinf loss of front braking. So if you plan to keep the OEM size forks, a fork brace is a really good idea. Less connections in any hydraulic line is also a good idea. As far as length goes, one line that is as long as the two you are removing will work. This assumes both lines run up the center like where the splitter is. Lets see who has better info on the length(s) you need.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

aj52

Quote from: FJmonkey on June 22, 2018, 02:49:27 PM
Recent posts report that a fork brace can contact the splitter under full compression causinf loss of front braking. So if you plan to keep the OEM size forks, a fork brace is a really good idea. Less connections in any hydraulic line is also a good idea. As far as length goes, one line that is as long as the two you are removing will work. This assumes both lines run up the center like where the splitter is. Lets see who has better info on the length(s) you need.

Thanks for the reply.
I've done an R1 front end swap,don't need do have an fork brace(I think I don't need it). As far as I've searched,no one that has done the upside down mods,mentioned that they use fork braces.
I'm just a bit cautious about the lenghts of the lines,that's why I asked about right length for those who have done swaps.
Current:                              
1991 FJ 1200 ABS
1991 FJ 1200

Pat Conlon

With a USD swap, be safe and measure the lines yourself.

Take 2 pieces of #12 or #14 electrical wire (single conductor) and connect them to the banjo bolts at the m/c and calipers. Trim to fit.
Check for anywhere they could scuff. Leave some slack for the fork extension.

You have special forks, be wary of measurements from standard FJ forks.
To prevent any line twist, get lines where you can clock (twist) the banjos
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

oldktmdude

Make sure you measure with the forks at the end of their travel. Raise the front of your bike off the ground, then measure.
   Regards, Pete.
1985 FJ1100 x2 (1 sold)
2009 TDM 900
1980 Kawasaki Z1R Mk11 (sold and still regretting it)
1979 Kawasaki Z650 (sold)
1985 Suzuki GSXR 400 x2 (next project)
2001 KTM 520 exc (sold)
2004 GasGas Ec300
1981 Honda CB 900 F (sold)
1989 Kawasaki GPX 600 Adventure

aj52

Thanks Pat & Pete

Will measure it as you suggested.
Current:                              
1991 FJ 1200 ABS
1991 FJ 1200