News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Gday from Sydney, Australia

Started by fj-f3a, December 01, 2017, 06:21:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fj-f3a

Hi to everyone on FJowners.

My name is Gavin. I have owned my 1990 FJ1200 since 1992. What an outstanding motorcycle.
In approximately 2008, I stumbled upon the FJmods web sight. What an eye opening experience that was.
Since then, my FJ has undergone a rear wheel upgrade using a J17xMT5.5 wheel from a Kawasaki Z9 with a 170/60 tyre, new stainless steel exhaust from the Central Coast of NSW, MCCruise electronic cruise control, spin on oil filter and UNI pod air filters from RPM and a homemade electronic self cancelling blinker unit.
My current upgrade is the fitment of R6 blue dot front calipers (sourced), an FJR1300 front master cylinder (just picked up today, perfect condition), stainless steel braided lines (on order from RPM).
Future upgrades, maybe USD froks and a new rear shock from RPM.
Looking forward to many more years of FJ ownership.

Gavin

Wings Level

Current
1990 FJ1200, Wet Pale Brown
J17xMT5.5 rear wheel from a 2001 Kawasaki Zx9r
Stainless exhausts
Electronic cruise control
Custom seat
Yamaha R6 Blue Spot Callipers
FJR1300 Master Cylinder
Stainless brake lines

aviationfred

:hi: Welcome to the forum. You will fit in perfectly.

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

retcol

Welcome to the group. This is a great site where everybody is more than willing to help you when you have an issue. When you went to pod filters, did you reject your carbs?

FJmonkey

The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Urban_Legend

Welcome from Grafton NSW. There are a few of us down your way. Sounds like you have done all the good mods. Hope to catch up with you at the Aussie FJ Rally in Mudgee in March

Mark
Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor
92 FJ 1200 - Project bike. Finished and sold.
84 FJ1100 - Project bike.

fj-f3a

Thank you all for your kind welcome.

retcol: No, not yet. This is something I know I should do. Any advice, jet size, etc, more than welcome.

Mark: Unfortunately, that weekend happens to coincide with our largest f3a (precision model aerobatics) competition, the Masters, of the year so, regrettably, I will be unable to attend this rally. Dam and Blast.
Wings Level

Current
Stainless exhausts
Custom seat
FJR1300 Master Cylinder
Stainless brake lines

X-Ray

Hi Gavin, owned it since 1992!, and we havent seen you yet?? :).

Funny you should ask about pods, as I have just taken a set off my '94 and gone back to the air box with a K&n filter (which it originally had). I tried to tune the low rpm fluffiness out of it by raising the needle a notch or 2, but the low "carpark" speed stumble off idle remained. I will take the bike to a dyno tuner here in Brisbane who is a whizz setting up carbs/pods/jetting when I have the money, but till then stock airbox will do.

My '93 is in the same boat, open road the pods are A1, off idle fluffy and farty. So will get it tuned/jetted properley as well. Lots of owners on here have set their bikes up with pods no problems at all though, so try dropping the needle clip 1 or 2 notches if you need to and see how you go :)
'94 FJ1200 Wet Pale Brown
'93 FJ1200 Dark Violet/Silver
'84 FJ1100 Red/White

'91 FJ1200 Dark Violet/Silver ( Now Sold)
'92 FJ1200 Project/Resto Dark Violet/Silver (Now Sold)

For photos of my rear wheel swap, heres the link  https://www.flickr.com/gp/150032671@N02/62k3KZ

fj-f3a

Hi X-Ray

Yes, 1992, after my 1985 BMW R80RT was written off by an idiot turning left from the right hand lane right in front of me. Lucky for me, I came out without any damage. The bike and my riding gear on the other hand, not so good.
Like the FJMods web site, I stumbled across the FJOwners forum while looking for front brake parts.
I noticed the pod filters on the RPM web site. Having lost the retaining clips for the air box filter and the fact that the air box itself is bulky and the rubber manifolds a bit fidgety, I decided to give the pod a try.
As you say, on the open road, they are superb. However, as they allow for better aspiration, I do feel the engine may indeed be running a little lean, especially at idle. My FJ has not idled well sense I did a complete carby clean after a long lay up. I suspect this is due to incorrect adjustment of the idle mixture. Believe it or not, it was only recently (say 18 months ago) that I learned, again, from the web, not to use any throttle at all when starting. Use the choke only and allow the enriching circuit to do its job. This method does indeed work. It takes about four seconds to start but this technique has never failed. The engine does like to be hot before it idles well. I will indeed try raising the needles one or two notches but, ultimately, mixture adjustment should be done by a mechanic with the correct diagnostic equipment.
Wings Level

Current
Stainless exhausts
Custom seat
FJR1300 Master Cylinder
Stainless brake lines

oldktmdude

Quote from: fj-f3a on December 02, 2017, 07:06:22 AM
I will indeed try raising the needles one or two notches but, ultimately, mixture adjustment should be done by a mechanic with the correct diagnostic equipment.
G'day and welcome Gavin. If you need to know anything about your FJ, this is the best place to find it. You already have found the best place to source parts for our ageing FJ's, RPM, and Randy's a great bloke as well.  
  "mixture adjustment should be done by a mechanic with the correct diagnostic equipment" this is not the case, mixture adjustment is a fairly simple process and can be done well without any diagnostic equipment other than your ears. The FJ is a very basic machine and the mixture has not got to be "exactly" right. With the correct jets fitted and idle mixture adjusted correctly, you can have  smooth power delivery throughout the rev range. Let us know what jets you have installed in your FJ and with the collective knowledge of this forum, I'm sure we can steer you in the right direction.
Bring your bike down to Bermagui next weekend for our Manshed Day and we'll help you get it running properly. There's a few coming down from Sydney so you may be able to come down with them.  
You are welcome and you'll get to meet a great bunch of blokes.
  Regards, Pete.    :drinks:
1985 FJ1100 x2 (1 sold)
2009 TDM 900
1980 Kawasaki Z1R Mk11 (sold and still regretting it)
1979 Kawasaki Z650 (sold)
1985 Suzuki GSXR 400 x2 (next project)
2001 KTM 520 exc (sold)
2004 GasGas Ec300
1981 Honda CB 900 F (sold)
1989 Kawasaki GPX 600 Adventure