News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

319 KM Loop Ride

Started by Urban_Legend, December 17, 2017, 02:26:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Urban_Legend

Went for a wee 319km loop ride yesterday the is close to my home. Anyone who attended the FJ rally in Grafton will recognize the route.
Here is a vid I did up of the best bits of road.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNLLYH8Vnag
Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor
92 FJ 1200 - Project bike. Finished and sold.
84 FJ1100 - Project bike.

Urban_Legend

Hi All
There is more to this ride report. Only had limited time this morening to post the video.

First this was my first ride with the bike new tires. I have switched from the PR4's to a mixed set of Bridgestones. The bike now has Bridgestone S21 120x17" Sports on the front and T30 170x17 Tourers on the back.
My verdict is....I love them. I love the feel better then the PR4 and the bike doesn't feel like it is "pushing" through the corners anymore. I have much more confidence to get my lean on too. after this first ride, no chicken strips. Always had a 1/2 inch strip with the PR4. I'm putting that down to the feel from the front.

I noticed from my video a bad rattle coming from my clutch lever. Pretty sure it needs new bushes. That might have to wait until I can get an FJR clutch MC to match my Brake MC.

The ride itself took place on a balmy summers day here in Australia with temps in the mid 30's (celcius) and humidity at about 60%. Yes the jacket got a bit sweaty. I tried a new product the I reacently purchased called VENTZ. they are a small (about the size of a cigarette packet) dome shaped vent the you insert in the cuff of the jacket sleeve. The Idea is that as you ride, wind will enter the vent and blow up into the jacket. They worked OK, but not as well as I thought they would. However that being said I left them out for the return journey and really noticed the differance. I got my for about $25au on special. so not that big an outlay. My advice is give them a try. Main draw back with them, is that they can be a bit fiddley to put in, and if you are stopping frequently this will become a pain.

On the actual ride the bike performed beautifully. Never missed a beat. The only this that I had to be aware of was the old FJ1100 second gear issue. You will hear in the video a few occasions where it seem like the bike is skipping over a bump. That is second gear at about 6000rpm, and halfish throttle. Just have to granny shift into 3rd to avoid it, or less throttle (yeah right, like that will happen)

For now Happy trails.

Mark
Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor
92 FJ 1200 - Project bike. Finished and sold.
84 FJ1100 - Project bike.

oldktmdude

Mark, thanks for refreshing my memory of a fantastic bit of road and a couple of great Rally rides I've done there. :good2:
   Regards, Pete.
1985 FJ1100 x2 (1 sold)
2009 TDM 900
1980 Kawasaki Z1R Mk11 (sold and still regretting it)
1979 Kawasaki Z650 (sold)
1985 Suzuki GSXR 400 x2 (next project)
2001 KTM 520 exc (sold)
2004 GasGas Ec300
1981 Honda CB 900 F (sold)
1989 Kawasaki GPX 600 Adventure