News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

new upgraded Purolater oil filter- for Randy's screw on oil filter adaptor

Started by bigbore2, December 23, 2017, 05:40:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigbore2

Time to change oil.  Boring, boring,  however Purolator has a new fully synthetic media oil filter that compares to a Mobil 1 at 99% filtration for particle size.
Called a Purolator Boss, part number PBL34631.  This is the largest diameter and longest case oil filter I have found. Length at a whopping 5 1/8 in. just shy of the left side pickup coil cover. Diameter just squeezes in but enough room for the sidestand to work without any interference.
Cost is $13 and change.  Color is black, with sparkles.

thought I would pass that along.  be safe.

bigbore2

red

Quote from: bigbore2 on December 23, 2017, 05:40:26 PMTime to change oil.  Boring, boring,  however Purolator has a new fully synthetic media oil filter that compares to a Mobil 1 at 99% filtration for particle size.  Called a Purolator Boss, part number PBL34631.  This is the largest diameter and longest case oil filter I have found. Length at a whopping 5 1/8 in. just shy of the left side pickup coil cover. Diameter just squeezes in but enough room for the sidestand to work without any interference.  Cost is $13 and change.  Color is black, with sparkles.  thought I would pass that along.  be safe.
bigbore2,

Got pix?  Would the filter get ripped open if the bike went down on that side while moving?  Do you have engine guard bars?
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

CutterBill

Quote from: bigbore2 on December 23, 2017, 05:40:26 PM
...This is the largest diameter and longest case oil filter I have found. Length at a whopping 5 1/8 in. just shy of the left side pickup coil cover...
So what problem are you trying to solve? Are you running such extremely long oil change intervals that the standard filter is getting plugged up? Because a bigger filter will just hold more dirt; it won't filter any better.

If you want to bling your bike out, or change something just to be different... then sure, go right ahead. But don't fool yourself into thinking that you're making it "better."
Never Slow Down, Never Grow Old.

Current Stable:                                                     
FJ1100                                              
FJ1200 (4)
1999 Yamaha WR400 (street-legal)
2015 Super Tenere
2002 Honda Goldwing

Pat Conlon

Whatever filter you use, make sure it has an anti-drain back feature.
Some filters designed for vertical positions don't have this feature (they don't need it)
Without that, when you start your FJ you will lose precious seconds of oil delivery while the oil pump fills the filter can.
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

bigbore2

red-  If only I knew how to post pics.  One of these days...  I dont have engine guard bars and looking at it, that could happen. I have never dropped a road bike, but.....   When I bought this filter, I just got the same part number as the previous Purolator filter, which was the Purolator 1, 95% filtration efficiency, but I did not notice they made the canister a bit longer on this new filter, until I installed it. Good call, next one I probably will find one a bit shorter.

CutterBill-   if you saw my bike, bling would not apply.  They claim 15,000 mi. with this new filter.  I don't see myself going that long, maybe 10,000 mi.

Pat- yes, this has the anti-drain back feature. But i did not know some have that and some don't.   thanx.

red

Quote from: bigbore2 on December 27, 2017, 09:36:21 PMred-  If only I knew how to post pics.  One of these days...  I dont have engine guard bars and looking at it, that could happen. I have never dropped a road bike, but.....    Good call, next one I probably will find one a bit shorter.
Bigbore2,

Yeah, your bike might survive a minor mishap while moving, but if the oil filter gets torn up, you'd have to go walking.  Engine guard bars or a shorter filter could save you some grief there, so even after a drop, you could (maybe) still ride home.  At least it won't be the fragile oil filter that causes you a long walk.

As for pix, you can do this:  First, you will need to upload any pix to an on-line photo sharing site.  My ISP gives me some free "personal account" space on their servers, so check with your ISP for that option.  Flickr, Dropbox, and many other sites can do that service for anybody.  Some sites will need an "account" for you on their site, some do not, and most are free. 

Once you are looking at any one photo that you have stored on that hosting site (just the one image, full sized, not an array of thumbnails), then Right-click on the image itself.  Select "Copy Image Location."  Type a message to some thread here, skip down a line, and Paste (Ctrl-V) the contents of the Clipboard (the URL for your pix) into the message.

Highlight that entire URL line in the message, and hit the "Insert Image" button (above the emoticons).  Hover the mouse cursor on each button for a few seconds, to see what each button does.  The results will be the URL with img and /img before and after it.  When you "Preview" your message (it's always recommended), then this URL:

http://user.xmission.com/~red/gloryB.jpg 

will become this image in your post:

Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

FJmonkey

You can also post pics in the forum gallery and post from there. This is a better place for posting if you want the images to stay with the forum. Many have been lost due to images being links to off site locations.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Harvy

Just thought I'd mention the original Purolator filter part number - PL10193.

I've been using them now for going on 12 years apart from maybe a year where I used 3 or 4 WIX filters that Randy got me.

The current batch I have were sourced from Amazon - a 6 pack.

Cheers
Harvy
FJZ1 1200 - It'll do me just fine.
Timing has much to do with the success of a rain dance.