News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Refreshing my ´85 ambulance

Started by Bezmozek, January 10, 2018, 08:57:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bezmozek

This is my FJ. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
My FJ is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.
Without me, my FJ is useless. Without my FJ, I am useless. I must ride my FJ true....

So this is my starting point.
After reading a lot here, I will do my best to make myself proud of my FJ  :good2:
´85 FJ 1100

Urban_Legend

They are a beautiful beast to be sure, and with the right touches of love and sweat they can become something spectacular. They are a bike with a personalliy and a soul. Treat her well, and do her proud.

Mark
Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor
92 FJ 1200 - Project bike. Finished and sold.
84 FJ1100 - Project bike.

FJmonkey

Looks like you have a great starting point. Post up as you progress. The rear seat cover looks interesting.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Bezmozek

Thx,
In my hands, biggest weakness of FJ is that it is maintenance free bike.
So for years i was OK with oil change only.

BTW rear seat cover I made myself few years ago.
As giuilari seat has rivets with thread and I mostly ride solo
I made mould from extruded polystyrene and covered with fiber glass

´85 FJ 1100

FJmonkey

Wow! That looks really good. I love seeing the different things the members here make. And the simple process to make them. Really cool, thanks for showing us that.  :good2:
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

rlucas

Excellent job on the seat cowl. I made an attempt at this several years ago on my '86 and botched it completely.  :good2:
We're not a club. Clubs have rules. Pay dues. Wear hats and shit.

"Y'all might be faster than me, but you didn't have more fun than I did." Eric McClellan (RIP '15)

Pat Conlon

Good for you laddie! :good2:

What size is that front tire?
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

Bezmozek

Trick while making cowling was that as a first layer instead of fiber glass I used nylon stockings. Perfectly fit to mould.  :good2:

Front tire is something made by Dunlop for Harley Davidsons, it is hockey puck hard and run flat. No metric size, it is wider and taller than 120/80, speedo reads exactly now, but dangerous thing in wet conditions.
I have already Dunlop K330A ready to fit.
´85 FJ 1100

fj1289

Very nice workmanship on the cowl.  Makes my efforts look like a kindergarten art project!

Bezmozek

Quote from: fj1289 on January 11, 2018, 11:20:52 PM
... Makes my efforts look like a kindergarten art project!

Heh, you funny guy.
As FJ is not a rocket science, compared to your rocket fast FJ all our bikes here look like a kindergarten projects.  :flag_of_truce:

While waiting for better weather, I just made "poor mans vibranators".
Already have parts for F4i shock swap, but do not want to ride to garage in snow  :nea:
´85 FJ 1100

Bezmozek

F4i  swap done  :good2:

Was bit in hurry, so was no time for pictures, drove home and was dark already. Headlight needed no adjustment so with my 180lbs as preload set to 2 rear height is same as before.
But riding is way different, this one is not just a rattling spring, but also work as a damper.
Never experienced this with OEM unit  :rofl2: :rofl2:
Will have to set preload to 3/4 and fork as hard as possible and do some testing, but as we have like 32°F here, have to wait

´85 FJ 1100

Bezmozek

Had some time to make pictures and mount shock reservoir.
It is just scrap piece of aluminium, but stiff enough. Was not able to find in gallery how others made this. :dash1:

All rear end changes in one picture.
CBR F4i rear shock, FZS 1000 tension bar and FJR 1300 rotor.
Not as fancy as YZF750R swingarm, but I am wannabe racer - beginner  :lol: :lol:

So standing on YZF R6 side stand, looks nicely raised compared to photo in my first post. :good2:

More will come ...
´85 FJ 1100

Troyskie

Good stuff mate :good:. Make sure you get a brace on the forks. If you haven't done it already swap out the OEM brake lines for braided steel ones.
1984 FJ1100 Ms Effie brand new :)
1984 FJ1100 Pearlie, stock as.
1985 FJ1100 Mr Effie 647,000K and still running hard.
1985 FJ1200 'Yummy' takes a licking & keeps on ticking
After all is said and done, more is said than done :)
2013 Trumpy Tiger 800, let's do a lap of Oz

Bezmozek

OK, things are getting worse and I need some help please.

While having some fun on the road, WOT and around 6-8k rpm, felt hard kick from the engine, like engine stop for half second and than everything fine again, that is all.
Happened like 3 times last week.
From that time, while changing gears up, OK, but white shifting down, I feel, that shift lever does not go as smooth as before.
Since my bike has 86k km, I am afraid, that 2nd gear issue is coming.

So I need both? 2nd gear pinions,  shifting forks (all three?) and something else?
Can somebody confirm list of parts affected and some recommendations to do/check, while splitting cases to fix this?
1TX partare probably same, so need to look for 3CV/3XV or XJR parts?

Thanks
´85 FJ 1100

Bezmozek

[posthunt]
So after few days with google and ebay, easiest way to go, seems to be buy XJR transmission and do the swap.
Only issue is that XJR output shaft is longer, so will have to remove bearings and switch for my current FJ shaft.
Do I need some special tools? Hydraulic press etc.....?

As I need at least No.1 shift fork and 2&5 pinion gears, those parts cost twice more than complete XJR gearbox
and those are newer / lower mileage than our FJ.
Will be happy for ANY advice before spending money on parts.
Thx
[/posthunt]
´85 FJ 1100