News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

When a issue disapears unexpected

Started by efejota, January 11, 2018, 04:02:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

efejota

Hi FJ-Owners
I have noticed something unexpected that may help someone to know. On cold starts the choke in my 3YA didn' t produce higher rpms when using it but worked. It means the bike wouldn't start right without the choke at cold temperatures. At a german forum they most told me to clean carbs what I didn't because everything was doing right apart it. The change I've done is the valve clearance. The clearance was too small, 0.04-0.06 mm lower than the minimum in all valves. Now there are at the top of the scheduled clearance. Intake 0.15 mm and for exhaust side 0.20 mm.
After this work the choke produces higher rpm on cold starts.

Did you know or expect it?
Not me. What a surprise. Also positive is the power plus I get know. Awesome difference.

Don't forget to do the valve clearance when you're tuning for the right power and against the risk of loosing your engine at least all 24000 km as listed. It is just a little work and money for the shims.

My FJ had 82000 km when I bought it in 2015 and now it has 86000 km . Not so much since. Well, I have a second bike and I rode this another 7000 km in the meantime. Still not so much, I know :-). I will do my very best to do better! *smile*
The PO of the FJ showed me a maintenance bill he paid (he told me so) but I thing he paid for nothing or...false bill?
Finally nothing of the points I've seen on the bill were made, so I am doing it by myself.

Did you know that the Ford Zetec 1.4 engine uses the same shims like our FJs and they have shims that are in between of the Yamaha shims like ..2.600-2.625-2.650.. and Yamaha has only ..2.600-2.650..?
You may work with more precision. I also had shims that had a measured difference + /-  0.01 to 0.02 mm to the written number on them. Don't trust numbers, measure your shims.

balky1

I had the same thing happen with choke after valve job.
Furthermore, my Clymer says to check valve gaps every 12000 km, not 24000. Some members here have found out that even after 10000 km you can find out-of-spec valves.

FJ 1100, 1985, sold
FJR 1300, 2009

efejota

Quote from: balky1 on January 12, 2018, 12:48:40 AM
I had the same thing happen with choke after valve job.
Furthermore, my Clymer says to check valve gaps every 12000 km, not 24000. Some members here have found out that even after 10000 km you can find out-of-spec valves.
I've read somewhere the 12000 km intervals are for the 1100s and the 24000 for the 1200s.
My other bike, a GL 1200 A has hydraulic valve lifters and is maintenance free. That's great!
I find it interesting you had the same issue with your choke. At the german FJ forum no one told me the same. Well, maybe they don't need the choke only riding in the summer. *smile*

balky1

:lol:

I forgot you ride 1200. Don't know about that.
Although hydraulic lifters are maintenance free (i.e. no valve adjustment), they are not eternal and at some point one or more tend to fail. Every thing has its pros and cons.

FJ 1100, 1985, sold
FJR 1300, 2009

efejota

Quote from: balky1 on January 12, 2018, 05:32:02 AM
:lol:

I forgot you ride 1200. Don't know about that.
Although hydraulic lifters are maintenance free (i.e. no valve adjustment), they are not eternal and at some point one or more tend to fail. Every thing has its pros and cons.

you're right, it is not eternal. but it helps a little bit. after all the valve work on the fj is not that heavy.
greez
joebarteam

Motofun

Can't understand all the hub-bub about doing a valve clearance check on a FJ.  easily 100 times more simple than doing one on a more modern in line 4 with shim under bucket design.  A 2 hour job with not having to pull the cams versus a weekend project.  Lord help you if you screw up the IL4, then it's another day to dig your way back in!  I know this all to well.   :Facepalm:
'69 Honda Trail 90
'75 Honda CB400F
'85 Yamaha RZ350
'85 Yamaha FJ1100
'89 Yamaha FJ1200
'09 Yamaha 125 Zuma
'09 Kawasaki KZ110 (grand kids)
'13 Suzuki GSXR 750 (track)
'14 Yamaha FZ-09
'18 Suzuki GSXR 1000R (track)
'23 Yamaha Tenere 7
SOLD: CBX,RZ500,Ninja 650,CB400F,V45 Sabre,CB700SC,R1

Pat Conlon

Yeppers Jack, I agree :good2:

That's a major benefit to our old school air cooled engines, quirks and all....
....at least we can work on them. Gotta love that perimeter frame giving us access to our top ends.

Now, if I could only find a way to ditch those carbs and go to fuel injection.
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

efejota

Quote from: Pat Conlon on January 13, 2018, 02:11:40 PM
Yeppers Jack, I agree :good2:
That's a major benefit to our old school air cooled engines, quirks and all....
....at least we can work on them. Gotta love that perimeter frame giving us access to our top ends.

Now, if I could only find a way to ditch those carbs and go to fuel injection.

I agree to both of you. The FJ is simple and easy to do and not only the valve clearance. Everything I' ve done untill now to my FJ was quite easy and I enjoy doing the maintenance or mods. The joy riding after the work is great. I notice changes with a smile in my face. My work. My bike.