News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

R6 Front brakes on 89 FJ1200

Started by crash7863, January 12, 2018, 11:44:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crash7863

So, read about it a whole bunch and I experienced the nose dives from the OEM brakes. So I found a set of 2000 R6 calipers, rotors, hoses and master cylinder. It's supposed to be a straight swap, just take off the old stuff and put on the new stuff. That part I can figure out.

Question: how do I size steel braided brake lines? Just measure the length of the old brake lines? Is there anything more specific to it?

The bike already had braided steel lines, can they be re-used? I think they're set up for 5/8th, not 14mm. Does it matter?

In other news, I finally figured out how to take the seat off. I did it once this summer and couldn't for the life of me remember how I did it.

FJmonkey

The lengths of the lines should not change. Using the existing braided lines will work as long as they connect to the new calipers with out kinking or twisting badly. Use new crush washers. So test fit them and use or change accordingly. The lines don't care what size master piston is used so no change is required. The dive is not likely to change much from changing the brakes. I got much less dive from a lighter front wheel and modern fork internals from RPM. You will get better braking in the form of less lever force so be cautious when testing the new brakes.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side