News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Relay assembly

Started by jyrki, January 15, 2018, 01:16:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jyrki

Hi, I had starting problem and bought new circuit cut off relay. When I move staring circuit cut off relay by hand, it makes clicking in certain positions, sometimes many quick clicks, so I suppose relay is ok? but there is some connection failure? Bike is not starting from start switch but if I ground starter relay Blue wiŕe, crank is rotating. Circuit cut of relay connector loose/defect? New cut off relay broken?

Pat Conlon

Starter button sticks (very common)
1st: Did you check the function of the starter button? Open up the switch and clean the contacts.
2nd: You could have a short or ground fault on the starter switch circuit (from the starter button to the relay) A chafed wire grounding to the frame could cause this.
Unless routed properly, the wires coming off the handlebar switches are subject to rubbing on the frame causing the insulation to wear thin and thus a short.
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

red

Quote from: jyrki on January 15, 2018, 01:16:22 PMHi, I had starting problem and bought new circuit cut off relay. When I move staring circuit cut off relay by hand, it makes clicking in certain positions, sometimes many quick clicks, so I suppose relay is ok? but there is some connection failure? Bike is not starting from start switch but if I ground starter relay Blue wiŕe, crank is rotating. Circuit cut of relay connector loose/defect? New cut off relay broken?
jyrki,

It sounds like the relay is good, but the bike wiring may be the problem..  Remove the relay from its' socket.  If you have a test light, find two new bare (not insulated) terminal blades, that are the same size as the relay blade connectors.  The new bare terminals should fit firmly into each position of the relay socket.  If any socket positions are loose, that could be the problem, right there (you may need a new relay socket, or need to repair the old one).  Ground one of the test light leads.  Check the coil wiring layout on the relay, or probe with the other test light lead to find the position in the relay socket that feeds voltage to the relay coil.  You may need to use the starter switch to make the coil voltage wiring turn on.  Insert a bare blade terminal into that position in the relay socket.  Use a wire with alligator clips to connect the other test light lead to the bare terminal.  Try your starter switch again, if needed, and see if the test light is getting solid voltage when you move the relay socket and wiring harness.  If so, you have good voltage coming to the relay. 

Now, check the ground line to the relay.  Insert another bare blade terminal to the relay coil's ground line in the relay socket.  Connect the test light's ground lead to the second bare terminal, and try the starter switch again.  The starter switch should turn on the test light, then.  Move the relay socket around, and make sure that all of the relay's wiring is good, not shorted or broken someplace.  Try the starter switch several times, and make sure it turns on the test light reliably.  Move the wiring harness also, looking for any fault. 

If anything there fails these simple tests, just find and fix the problem.  Since you have the starter relay removed, the starter will not engage during these tests. 

If your headlights are on while testing, you may want to connect a battery charger to the battery while testing.

HTH.

Happy hunting . . .
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

jyrki

Many thanks Red and Pat! Good to hear that new relay is at least ok... I need to get some terminals blades:)

jyrki

Found the reason! It was simply the relay socket...female connector, I just bent female connector blades to get prober connection. It was not only one connection.. many thanks for your help! Now I at least learned how my bikes electrics works,at least patr of it...

red

Quote from: jyrki on February 11, 2018, 04:05:09 AMFound the reason! It was simply the relay socket...female connector, I just bent female connector blades to get prober connection. It was not only one connection.. many thanks for your help! Now I at least learned how my bikes electrics works,at least patr of it...
jyrki,
Happy to help.  :biggrin:  When I need FJ advice, this forum is where I check first.
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

aviationfred

To help with conductivity for the connectors. I put a small amount of dielectric grease on each terminal before I put the connectors together. It helps to displace moisture and minimize corrosion.

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor