News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Mirrors with integrated video...

Started by ZOA NOM, January 20, 2018, 08:11:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZOA NOM

So I've had a fixation with onboard looping video and I've gone through the normal progression of devices, first attached to the helmet, then to the bike. I think I've finally found something I like. It's a pair of mirrors I stumbled across on Amazon that have a video camera built into the right side mirror, which is hardwired to a switched supply. It starts recording when you turn on the bike, and stops when you turn it off. 32 Gig micro SD card allows for 140 minutes of total record time, looped in 3 or 20 minute segments. 720p, wide angle view is perfect.

I used the mounting brackets from the CBR mirrors that I had, and drilled/tapped them for the M10 size of the new mirror threaded ends.

Two LEDs in the lower corner (green dots) indicate power and recording.

Here is a commute video from today. You can tell the camera is rotated a little from horizontal, so I need to fine tune the orientation. The adjustments are only in two directions; the mirrors rotate on the end of the stalk, but do not flex inward or outward, so I will need to actually bend the stalk a small amount (less than a few degrees) to move the field of view (of the mirrors) towards my shoulders a little bit so I can see more of what's behind me.

https://youtu.be/KBzyZuJtEXU

Very pleased with the simplicity of the install, and dual purpose of these mirrors. I would prefer a little different shape and better aesthetics, but they aren't bad for $50.

edit: the sound is very low on purpose. It's not great quality, as expected, but it does record sound.
Rick

Current:
2010 Honda VFR1200 DCT (Full Auto!)
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
1987 Porsche 911 Carrera (Race)
1988 Porsche Carrera (Street)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1993 FJ1200ABS (RIP my collar bone)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca

FJmonkey

The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

HydroDog

Those are cool.. Of coarse being able to ride the shoulder would be nice too.

ZOA NOM

Quote from: HydroDog on January 21, 2018, 02:28:47 AM
Those are cool.. Of coarse being able to ride the shoulder would be nice too.

Well... it's technically illegal, but not enforced very vigorously here. I actually have gotten a ticket for it after almost talking my way out of it. The cop agreed that it was my safest move with the traffic conditions, but when I failed to produce my insurance card (I hadn't transferred it to my new tank bag, DOH!), he chuckled and said "checkmate". Never trust a cop! (Unless he's in your riding group.)  :biggrin:
Rick

Current:
2010 Honda VFR1200 DCT (Full Auto!)
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
1987 Porsche 911 Carrera (Race)
1988 Porsche Carrera (Street)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1993 FJ1200ABS (RIP my collar bone)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca