News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Paying for simple maintenance

Started by aviationfred, April 24, 2018, 11:52:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aviationfred

I understand that the majority of FJ owners perform their own general maintenance. Here in the Heartland where the most common 2 wheeled vehicle comes from Milwaukee, these guys throw money around like crazy. Pay for oil changes, pay for a headlight bulb replacement, pay for an aftermarket headlight install. I am sorry, but I have a difficult time comprehend g this. Follow this logic.

A post on Facebook.

Any while you wait oil change for bikes el Dorado or  Wichita  I have filter

Here is one of the replies.

If you just want oil change its 95 minus filter since you have one and I'll do it while you wait at Twister Valley Cycles. After 1 Tue through Fri. If you are looking for further service it'll have to be a drop off.

$95.00 for a motorcycle oil change. And this is at a tier 2 bike shop...i would hate to see what the OEM dealer charges.

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

ZOA NOM

Quote from: aviationfred on April 24, 2018, 11:52:06 AM
I understand that the majority of FJ owners perform their own general maintenance. Here in the Heartland where the most common 2 wheeled vehicle comes from Milwaukee, these guys throw money around like crazy. Pay for oil changes, pay for a headlight bulb replacement, pay for an aftermarket headlight install. I am sorry, but I have a difficult time comprehend g this. Follow this logic.

A post on Facebook.

Any while you wait oil change for bikes el Dorado or  Wichita  I have filter

Here is one of the replies.

If you just want oil change its 95 minus filter since you have one and I'll do it while you wait at Twister Valley Cycles. After 1 Tue through Fri. If you are looking for further service it'll have to be a drop off.

$95.00 for a motorcycle oil change. And this is at a tier 2 bike shop...i would hate to see what the OEM dealer charges.

Fred

I tend to pay for these items, but I'm only an hour ride from RPM, so it's a way to stay in touch with Randy and support his business.
Rick

Current:
2010 Honda VFR1200 DCT (Full Auto!)
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
1987 Porsche 911 Carrera (Race)
1988 Porsche Carrera (Street)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1993 FJ1200ABS (RIP my collar bone)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca

Bezmozek

... the most common 2 wheeled vehicle comes from Milwaukee...

Maybe that is the problem. Or H-D riders are most affected by this.
Do not know how in US, but here in Europe, Harley owners think that thy are best bikers on best bikes, wearing all that weird H-D stuff, badges, pins, colors,  .... I am pretty sure that their toilet paper has H-D logos and cost 100$/pack.
Whatever is H-D brand, they must place it on their bikes, chrome trumpets and another chrome junk, huge windshields, cowboy leather fringes, bull horns under headlight and more and more aerodynamic brakes. Heavier - better, because till your bike is less than half ton, looks like scooter. Price does not matters, because they are half-gods and have to show that to everybody. They do not salute to other bikes on the road etc, etc...
Hard to explain to them, that their symbol of freedom was army supplier on the beginning and that most of Japanese 500ccm bikes are faster.

Here in EU, we have similar virus called coffee racers.
Crippled 80´ Japanese bikes with shiny, absurdly expensive parts, called art, are sold to wannabe rich guys with no relation to motorbikes.
They are using is just as a source of noise in the cities to move from one pub to the other, showing to others how great they are.
Including their "fancy" bike, 1000$ helmet, but short sleeve T-shirt, sneakers and no gloves.

IMHO does not matter how you call them, or what bike they ride, but be sure, that is huge difference between biker and owner of motorcycle.
If you are not able to check oil, tire pressure and change light bulb, please be so kind, keep safe yourself (and us too) and do not try to ride a motorcycle.
:flag_of_truce:

´85 FJ 1100

Pat Conlon

....$95.00 for a motorcycle oil change. And this is at a tier 2 bike shop...i would hate to see what the OEM dealer charges.

If that includes the oil, that is a bargain. 4 quarts of 15w-50 synthetic oil @ $15 a quart, leaves $35 for labor and used oil recycling fee..

Although I understand Fred's point. It's not just Harley owners, but most owners of new modern motorcycles.

If you think Harley dealers are expensive, check out what a BMW dealer would charge.

Speaking of BMW dealers, I have a friend that has a 2016 BMW X3 (small crossover SUV) a nice car. I asked him, "Dave, how many quarts of oil does the engine hold?" He said "I dunno, there's no way to add oil to this engine." "WTF?" "Yea, the engine is sealed. There's no fill port and there's no dip stick on the engine to check the oil level"  I asked, "What do you do?" Dave said, "I have to take it in to the BMW dealer..."  I said, "That sounds expensive." He said, "Yea, about $400 for a oil change."

I said, "Well, sounds like this car has a dipstick after all..."

[rant on] So BMW dealers will offer low or free financing on their new cars....but they get you on the come back.
Big Pharma has no incentive to cure diseases, they want you to buy their drugs that suppress the symptoms....they get you on the come back.
Drug dealers will give you your first couple of hits for free. They know they will get you on the come back.
[rant off]
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

Mike m

Typically it costs me $45/$55 to do my own oil change as I try to use Hilo filters from RPM.this valvoline vr1 20/50 non synthetic has got me sold my shifting has been effortless.so the cost of oil changes for my will be a bit higher

Bezmozek

Quote from: Pat Conlon on May 06, 2018, 12:35:05 PM
...most owners of new modern motorcycles....

Modern cars and motorcycles are way more complicated to maintain than in 70s & 80s.
You were OK with hammer, screwdriver and pair of wrenches and that was enough to repair car, motorbike, washing machine, mower, pipeline......
Now you do not know what to repair without connecting your car, microwave, hoover.. to computer diagnosis and is easier to be BFU and pay.
People are lazy to think nowadays  :nea:

Times are changing, smartphones today are faster than computers used to take man to the moon  :nyam1:

´85 FJ 1100