News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

changes in my 87 FJ

Started by Znort, January 30, 2018, 03:10:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Znort

Hello!
since last  year I bought my FJ, there have been a few changes. The bike was black, and now she looks like that. Front fender comes from a Bandit 600, rear mirrors from aftermarket Honda CBR, and the fairing... well, a car pushed my bike to the floor when she was on a parking, last summer, so I bought a second hand fairing, in white and red, that I really prefer soooooo much.
Hope you will like it!
1987 FJ1200
1979 BMW R80/7
1984 XJ650

Znort

that's the way she looked last summer...
1987 FJ1200
1979 BMW R80/7
1984 XJ650

FJmonkey

Looking real good, I love the color...
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

oldktmdude

It will be much faster now that you've changed to the best colours!   :good2:  Regards, Pete.
1985 FJ1100 x2 (1 sold)
2009 TDM 900
1980 Kawasaki Z1R Mk11 (sold and still regretting it)
1979 Kawasaki Z650 (sold)
1985 Suzuki GSXR 400 x2 (next project)
2001 KTM 520 exc (sold)
2004 GasGas Ec300
1981 Honda CB 900 F (sold)
1989 Kawasaki GPX 600 Adventure

Znort

Thanx... It's really my favourite colour... :-)
1987 FJ1200
1979 BMW R80/7
1984 XJ650

fjbiker84

timleslie1957

Quote from: Znort on January 30, 2018, 03:10:22 PM
Hello!
since last  year I bought my FJ, there have been a few changes. The bike was black, and now she looks like that. Front fender comes from a Bandit 600, rear mirrors from aftermarket Honda CBR, and the fairing... well, a car pushed my bike to the floor when she was on a parking, last summer, so I bought a second hand fairing, in white and red, that I really prefer soooooo much.
Hope you will like it!

Great look imho.  I am changing mine from white and gray to satin black but it is driving me nuts getting the satin ironed down.  I think I will have to get off my wallet and pay someone for a paint job.  Grrrr.
Tim Leslie
"A bike and curvy roads ... priceless."

fj1289

Quote from: timleslie1957 on January 31, 2018, 12:09:12 PM
Quote from: Znort on January 30, 2018, 03:10:22 PM
Hello!
Hope you will like it!

Great look imho.  I am changing mine from white and gray to satin black but it is driving me nuts getting the satin ironed down.  I think I will have to get off my wallet and pay someone for a paint job.  Grrrr.

Tim,

Try Rustoleum High Performance flat black.   You then use windex as a cleaner and WD-40 on a rag as a "polish" to keep it from going chalky and gives it a very low sheen. 

timleslie1957

I did just that ... over a great job of an etching primer from same manufacturer.  It is passable now, putting it all back together this week.  The satin finish is very nice.  Debating whether or not to clear coat with krylon semiflat clear coat.  The fairing came out very nice.  I made a few subtle things with carbon fiber wrap (scoops and some of the side panels).  Black and red theme with new grips, new levers, new Yamaha graphics and FJ1200 graphic as well I had made for 10 USD.  Waiting for tank pad and knee pads to get here in a couple days.  Also putting on a magnetic gear indicator (going to do the fancier version later on this year), new led green cluster bulbs, new mirrors with directional signals built in, stainless front lines, oil canister conversion kit, and of course new plugs and a fresh Wix, fresh Shell T6 synthetic oil, thoroughly cleaned the pod filters and frame, new plug wires, new cluster cover, new windscreen deflector add on, lubed all possible points, painted risers and triple piece, shined and polished front forks, painted custom aluminum chain guard, cleaned and waxed chain.  Trying now to locate a new front fender or mod that works.  Oh yeah ... installing external Bosch regulator to replace a fried internal one.  Finishing the wiring and install on that this evening.   

Good Gosh these things get expensive!  But what fun.  Will post a snap or two when I get her put all back together.  
Tim Leslie
"A bike and curvy roads ... priceless."