News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

How many times do I rebuild this bike?

Started by Troyskie, February 03, 2018, 06:52:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Troyskie

1984 FJ1100 Ms Effie brand new :)
1984 FJ1100 Pearlie, stock as.
1985 FJ1100 Mr Effie 647,000K and still running hard.
1985 FJ1200 'Yummy' takes a licking & keeps on ticking
After all is said and done, more is said than done :)
2013 Trumpy Tiger 800, let's do a lap of Oz

Troyskie

Late last year I messed up in a corner.

My error was simple, I was in the wrong gear and I braked when I shouldn't. Ended up straight lining the corner, big skid, high-side, scare the shit out of everyone, smash Yummy, and now I'm back in the Project Writeups secton.  :blush:

I thought I'd start there just so we can all learn a little riding lesson before I begin learning how to fix Yummy with this project.

Following are pics of before and after the off...you've probably seen them but in the interest of complete project documentation....

Steve_in_Florida

Been there, done that!

I'm now going through my supply of old fairings and plastic parts, making repairs as necessary, with my new plastic repair kits. Each broken or marred part brings the flood of memories of mishaps-gone-by.

It's funny, because I look at your pictures, and find myself saying "I could FIX that!!!".

Good luck!

Steve
`90 FJ-1200
`92 FJ-1200

IBA # 54823

PaulG

If your sidecovers are toast, I have several sets for replacement. One is near pristine with all the pegs, while the others are missing one or two.

Send me a PM if it interests you and I could check on shipping costs to NSW from Toronto.
1992 FJ1200 ABS
YouTube Channel Paul G

Bones

Your being too hard on yourself Troy, everybody makes mistakes whether they'll admit to it or not. I've been lucky in the sense that I've never written anything off, but I've had my fair share of mishaps and pain. It's all part and parcel of the motorcycling life where fate takes its toll on some more than the others. You learn from your mistakes which makes you a better rider and I bet the next time you ride that road you won't repeat that error.
93 fj1200
79 suzuki gt250x7

Too young to be old but old enough to know better.

Sparky84

Quote from: Bones on February 04, 2018, 03:08:11 AM
I've been lucky in the sense that I've never written anything off, but I've had my fair share of mishaps and pain.

That used to be when I changed bikes/cars/helmets.

Quote from: Bones on February 04, 2018, 03:08:11 AM
You learn from your mistakes which makes you a better rider and I bet the next time you ride that road you won't repeat that error.

I must've got Alzheimer's at an early age (17)

I made money off a chocolate Honda 500T once, smashed it in Mudgee actually,
wrote my helmet off too on one of those big fat timber straining posts in a wire fence, going way too fast on a sweeping left corner that was made of resealed potholes, knew I was in trouble when the corner kept on going but then I noticed a driveway to my right so I straightened (bad mistake, I did remember not to do that again though) but then I noticed the Gate was LOCKED. Anyway picked up the bike the following week, put a set of handlebars on it (the were cheap back then, just like pushie bars they were)
taped up the broken speedo and tacho so they were waterproof, good to go but a week after that some sheila in a Bug (not called Herbie) coming the other way turned right across in front of me and I went over the Bonnet or boot as it was, took the tape off the instruments and her insurance paid for them and the rest of the damages, I got the cash then sold the bike as it was.

But on a serious note Troy....3 times...then its time to give up on that one and start another,

because you know the 4th is going to be a Whopper

Cheers Alan
1984 FJ1100
1979 Kawasaki Z1300
1972 Honda CB750/4 K2

Troyskie

Thanks fellas!

I did some light work. My neighbour put Yummy up on the hoist for me so I could do an easier disassembly.

The sub-frame from Dave is perfect.

A simple parts swap and Yummy has a new rear end. Only took about 2 hrs, and that was working at a very relaxed pace.

Whilst I have most of the bits off I thought a quick torque check on everything I can get to was in order. Specifically I was looking to see if any part of the frame/suspension had moved. My method was very simple, loosen all the fasteners in the relevant order. If the frame made a noise (perhaps 'ting') or the alignment changed of what I was releasing I would have a clue to a problem.

Noo problemo!  :yahoo:

Even the forks were true. It was so quick & easy I decided to re-torque the head (that was perfect too :-).

Here's a few pics

balky1

FJ 1100, 1985, sold
FJR 1300, 2009

Pat Conlon

Quote from: balky1 on February 06, 2018, 12:10:22 AM
Woow she really took a beating.  :sorry:

....not as bad as the rider.....How are you convalescing Troy?

For Yummy: Absolutely rebuild her...Anything I can look for on my side of the world?
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

Troyskie

G'day Pat & Balky,

Convalescing well mate. Ahead of the healing power curve. Doc & insurance won't let me back to work till March, but I'm meeting with the surgeon today to try and change his mind and get me back for at least light duties.

The amount of cosmetic damage is pretty high. Daves' subframe has made it a lot easier.

What I'm going to need help with is info on plastic repair and welding. There was a recent discussion about the plastex product (I have that), but I remember a member (from France perhaps?) did a nice write up or linked to a blog about using acetone and melting lego to use as filler/welder. I've had a look in the files section and maintenance but couldn't find any older ones. Google didn't help as I'm probably using the wrong search string.

My main issue right now is I have a variety of plastic damage. Fortunately it is all ABS and not copolymers. The variety of damage ranges from small bits essential to correct mounting, hard to reach breaks with missing pieces, then large breaks (this look easiest surprisingly). The information I've found is typically good for one style of repair/plastic weld, but not suitable for other stuff.

I've used the Plastex stuff and found it useful for smaller bits (my front guard). Hopefully today I get my welder attachment for my heat gun (cost more than the gun!!!!!!), and that will do large joins and easy access bits.

The hard part will be manipulating the main fairing and holding it in place and steady whilst I'm doing the work. The other hard part is 'making' the missing pieces. Another 'hard' part or 'I don't know how I'll do this yet' is how to hold awkward pieces together whilst fixing, but that is for Mr Ten Hands to sort :). I've already made a few mounting blocks to hold different parts together.

All told this is going to mostly be a plastic repair education for me (oh, and remember not to highside again  :crazy:).

The only part I think will be hard to get in good condition is the tank. I have a couple, but rust is my enemy.

red

Quote from: Troyskie on February 06, 2018, 02:43:04 PMG'day Pat & Balky,
Convalescing well mate. Ahead of the healing power curve. The only part I think will be hard to get in good condition is the tank. I have a couple, but rust is my enemy.
Troyskie,

Glad to hear about the healing.    :yes:   

You can demolish rust in a gas tank with no moving parts.

http://caferacersunited.com/how-to-remove-rust-from-a-fuel-tank-electrolytic/

You can agitate the tank inside with a meter+ length of small metal chain, to chip away the remains of rust after it is treated with the electricity.  A badly rusted tank may need a few cycles of treatment.  You can seal seams and pinholes in the tank with POR-15:

https://www.amazon.com/POR-15-Fuel-Tank-Sealer-Halfpint/dp/B001NGB57M
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

FJmonkey

Troy, have a look at this. https://www.eastwood.com/ew-hot-stapler-plastic-repair-system.html

This can be done with paperclips and a flame to help hold pieces in position. I played with this after I saw it at a trade show. My homemade version made a very strong repair.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Steve_in_Florida

Troy,
I'm currently in the midst of fixing ALL of the plastic pieces and fairings in my collection. I've been wanting to perform this task for nearly two decades!

A couple of years ago, I bought a wrecked bike that had rear-ended a city bus. The main fairing was cracked and broken in many different places. PlastiFix to the rescue!!! I set up a table outside, where I can use my Dremel to prepare the surfaces to be glued. Grind off the sheared angles, and create a gently sloping valley, along the length of the break or crack. Next, I manipulate the fairing, and hold the pieces in place with weights and tape (on the painted side, as the majority of the repairs are happening on the inside of the fairing). Finally, I add a little of the powder down the length of the crack, and cover it with some drops of the liquid, then add more powder, more liquid, and a final coat of powder. Once cured, I brush off the excess powder onto a paper plate (so I can re-use it), and move onto the next break or crack. It's kind of slow going, but the results are fantastic!!!

Yes, it will take some bodywork and paint to make this a perfect fairing, but it's well on its way to being serviceable again. I'm happy that the precious owner didn't throw it away.

By the way, I was able to make necessary repairs to the regulator of my plastic welder (also using PlastiFix), and may give it a go, as well.

I am also intrigued by the Lego technique. There are some areas that are missing too much plastic, to recreate using PlastiFix, so I may try the Lego/Acetone technique, too. I have a blender that I can dedicate to the task, which will allow me to pulverize the Lego bricks into tiny pieces. I'll make time for this process during tomorrow's fix and repair session.

Steve

`90 FJ-1200
`92 FJ-1200

IBA # 54823

FJmonkey

I have made ABS putty and used it with some success. Here are my words of wisdom based on my very short experience with it.
1.Plan your putty a week or two in advance. This allows the solvent to fully dissolve the plastic. And a few days in between to add more solvent or plastic to get the thickness just right.
2. Surface prep is critical. Make sure it is clean and sanded/roughed up. Apply solvent to the parent material where you will apply the putty. A few coats in 5 to 10 minutes to get the parent material a little soft so it bonds well with the putty.
3. Apply it in thin layers and let it fully dry. Too thick and the solvent will possibly distort the parent material.
4. When you sand/shape it expect to see air bubbles below the surface exposed from the sanding. I think this is a product from off-gassing as the solvent evaporates. 

Not much else to add.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Troyskie

Warning, topless photo below!

I'll post some of the repair pics shortly.

Whilst waiting for my test pieces to set I was staring at Yummy and wondered about all the naked FJ projects. I don't remember seeing any just topless.....