News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Time for new tires, Michelin Road 5's or Metzeler Roadtec 01's?

Started by Pat Conlon, February 28, 2018, 01:40:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aviationfred

The Metzeler Roadtec 01's come in 2 specs, standard and HWM (Heavy Weight Motorcycle). I believe the HWM has an added steel belt in the rear tire.

Best sport touring tires of 2017 video

https://youtu.be/w1leVfe5EGg

I just bought a set of Dunlop Roadsmart 2 tires. I have been told that I should be able to expect about 10,000 miles on the rear. We will see how well they work.

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

ribbert

Pat, I also am very pleased with the Metzeler 01's and on my second set ( I was very happy with the Z8's as well) I had the GT or HWM version F&R of both, they have a stiffer carcass. Of all the tyres I have had in recent years, I disliked the PR4's the most. I always replace my tyres in pairs but an unscheduled half life replacement of the rear tyre due to damage saw the front worn down further than would normally be the case. It turned the FJ into an absolute pig and I literally had aching shoulders from the twisties. I also found that when about half worn they started tramlining. However, my major gripe was dry grip. But, as everyone has mentioned, they're great in the wet and they do last.

Call me cynical but I don't put any stock in magazine reviews, I swear those blokes are on the take when it comes to new products from major advertisers, sponsors, freebie givers etc.  Remember all the hype about the PR4's? I think I'll wait for the real world reviews to trickle in before investing $500 in a set of tyres. I have no brand loyalty, whatever does the job best. If the PR5's get good reports, I'll give them a go.

You say it appears Michelin were aware of the handling problems of the 4's, funny how manufacturers (of anything) only ever talk about the failings of a previous model when flogging a new one!

You are right about modern tyres being amazing, they have all bar killed off the track day tyre segment.

Reviews don't get any fresher than this. Making the most of cooler weather and Daylight Saving, I did a 400km loop through Apollo Bay after work today on a bike with a PR4 on the rear, returning along the Great Ocean Road. The back wheel let go 3 times in less than an hour on perfect road surface. That is real confidence sapping performance. I had this happen probably half a dozen times on the FJ when I was running them.

For me it's 01's or Z8's until something better comes along. Cost and longevity barely factor into my choice, it's all about grip.

Noel

"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

Pat Conlon

Thanks Pete, I've wondered if the O spec stiffer sidewalls was a wise investment. It sounds like the added mileage is worth it.

Thanks for the link Fred. Yep, the 01's come out on top of the 2017 class. As a general rule I stay away from Dunlops. They run wide in size causing problems on my chain side clearance.

Thanks Noel, Yes, I've seen you post this before about the PR-4's. My PR-4 experience is nowhere near as bad as yours. Back in my younger years, when I had to constantly scrimp and save, I've had tires like you describe and they were no fun. I was stuck with them....until I could afford to buy a different set.
Fortunately, not so today...if I find tires are evil...off they come.

Q: What kind of mileage did you get from your first set of 01's?
I realize your road surface and conditions are different than what we have here in the states.

You are right, $400 is a chunk of change ($155 front, $200 rear +$50) on the new R-5 tire model, but assuming the same mileage as the PR-4's with 8k tire life, that's a cost of $5 per 100 miles traveled vs the Roadtec $400 with 5.4k miles =$7.14 per 100 miles. Again, for me, tire cost (thankfully) is not the issue.

Still....I'm leaning towards letting the dust settle on the Road 5's and see what shakes out.... The Roadtec 01's are a proven tire.
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

FJ_Hooligan

Quote from: aviationfred on February 28, 2018, 07:59:51 PM
I just bought a set of Dunlop Roadsmart 2 tires. I have been told that I should be able to expect about 10,000 miles on the rear. We will see how well they work.

Fred

I've RARELY ever had a bad tire as far as grip performance goes.  However, there are/were a handful of tires that I will never buy again because of their lack of mileage.

The Bridgestone BT-23 was the stock tire on my FZ-1 (they don't even make these anymore).  The OEM version performed well and lasted an impressive amount of mileage getting upwards of 8Kmiles.  So I bought them again.  The non-OEM tires would barely make it to 3K.  After trying a second set, same miserable life so no more.

I had high hopes for the original Dunlop Roadsmart after talking to a Dunlop rep at the motorcycle show way back when they first came out.  They were the replacement for the Dunlop D305 (? that doesn't look or sound right) radial which was my first radial tire and available in 16" front and rear.  My first disappointment was the Roadsmart was not available in the 120/16 size.  Regardless, I bought a set for my '93.  They were advertised as a Sport Touring tire so I had fairly high expectations.  WRONG! Within 3500 miles, the front was worn out and cupping badly.  Unfortunately I had purchased 2 of the tires and the second one was just as short-lived. I swapped to Pilot Power fronts and actually got better mileage.

Hopefully the Roadsmart 2 is a better package.

Probably won't get anymore Dunlop Q3s either.  Nice and sticky, but barely made it to 3k with the front and rear on the BMW.

My FJ currently has a PR4 in back with a Pilot Power in front, no complaints.
My FZ1 has a set of PR3s and again, no complaints.
The BMW S1000XR has a new set of Pirelli Angel GTs (soft sidewall version) and so far I like them.
Son's FZ1 has a set of Angel STs and he's not complaining either.

On the shelf I have a couple of Conti Road Attacks that I bought at closeout pricing.  I recall Noel having favorable comments about them.
DavidR.

ribbert

Quote from: FJ_Hooligan on March 01, 2018, 02:29:12 PM

On the shelf I have a couple of Conti Road Attacks that I bought at closeout pricing.  I recall Noel having favorable comments about them.

Yes I did. I had quite a few consecutive sets of them. At the time (that seems like a long time ago now) many dual compound tyres suffered from triangulation as they wore if you spent a lot of time on corners (Roadsmarts come to mind)
What I liked about the RA's was, rather than use dual compound with a defined transition point, they achieved the same effect with a single compound by applying different amounts of heat from the centre to the edges during manufacture so the transition was progressive and the tyre retained it's profile better.

For the sort of riding mix I do, they retained a smooth rounded profile even when worn out. Wear characteristics are obviously subject to each riders habits and frequently ridden roads. For example, where Pete lives, the last bit of straight road he sees is his driveway.

When it comes to tyres, I don't remember mileage and try to forget the price!

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

FJ1100mjk

Just go darkside, and quit all the fretting and whining about mileage!

Platinum Zircon-encrusted Gold Member

Iron Balls #00002175
www.ironballs.com

ribbert

Just to muddy the waters, I decided today my next tyres will definitely be Conti Attack 3's.

Noel

Mike Ramos

Re: Tires...

As others have stated, what is suitable for one and his riding style and habits may not necessarily be applicable to others but here goes...

As mentioned I was running the Pilot Road's during the winter and the Pilot Power 3's for summer/dry months.  Both in my opinion are above average performers.  I believe it was GiantKiller Dan who was able to get the Pilot Power's to spin the rear on a regular basis – however with his big bore engine and heavy throttle hand (!) perhaps results with other tires would be similar!

As far as the road holding ability of the Pilot Roads 3's & 4's in the wet they are exceptionally capable; having come upon many motorcycles in wet and rainy conditions few were able to maintain spirited riding under such conditions.  Likewise, often speeds comparable to autos on winding roads were doable at normal speeds.  In the dry, I had no real complaints and having followed capable riders who use the Pilot Roads such as Andyoutandabout on numerous occasions & for many hundreds of miles, I believe his estimation of their all-around performance is in the affirmative.

My previous post from June, 2016 "Suspension Brakes & Such" was made in dry weather using Pilot Roads.  Might be worth a look.

Performance with the Power R/S performance was significantly improved over the Pilot Power 3's.

Mileage and cost are considerations may be valid but handling considerations top the list: the R/S's high speed handling, both directional & sweepers is exceptional and in my opinion, much better that the Pilot Power 3's.  Also, during vigorous riding on winding roads their overall performance, from ride comfort to surface grip, is also significantly improved. The quick handling was initially comparable but as the tires wore, the R/S's seemed to maintain their initial quick response while the PP 3's became sluggish.

Although I do not have an exact figure, mileage between the two was about the same (about 6,000miles, update in the future) but the wear pattern was improved.  On the R/S the rear tire does not wear as flat and on the front no cupping or irregular wear pattern appeared.

Riding in wet weather has been limited.  Although there are almost no grooves on the R/S's, wet weather performance seems to at least be on par with the PP 3's which was certainly acceptable although not outstanding.  Michelin claims that improved tire compound enables good wet weather performance.

My only complaint is that with the almost smooth surface, when on a gravel or sandy road, anything above modest speeds become problematic.

Although I have only several hunderd miles on my third set of Power R/S's with the arrival of winter I look forward to trying the Pilot Road 5's (perhaps I'll change over to the 5's and save these R/S's for summer).  The reviews are good and apparently the improved compound and groove pattern will lend themselves to improved performance in the dry and the wet.

Mr. Conlon - give 'em a try & I'll follow your lead...

Whatever tire chosen, ride safe!

Pat Conlon

1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

andyoutandabout

Can't believe I missed a tire thread. Here's a little song I wrote:

Oh yeah, I'm a Michelin man
Oh yeah, I'm a Michelin man,
This ps4 do all I want,
Oh yeah, I'm a Michelin man

Oh wow a brand new model,
Oh wow a brand new model,
If they are half as good as the old ps4
Then I'm still a Michelin man.

Thank you folks, thank you very much.
life without a bike is just life

yamaha fj rider

Has anybody considered, the Dunlop Road Smart 3? It is supposed to out preform the Pilot Road 4 by quite a bit, time will tell.

Also, you can buy a set, of the Road Smart 2 tires for $180.00, on Ebay.

Kurt
93 FJ1200
FJ 09
YZ250X I still love 2 strokes
Tenere 700
FJR1300ES