News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

My best Fj story this week

Started by andyoutandabout, March 05, 2018, 06:39:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andyoutandabout

Try this one.
So, in the planning stage of a trip to England this summer. New passport arrived ahead of time. Shocker.
Scored cheap flight, nice. Turn to think about mobility. Renting a bike seems very expensive to the tune of 200 bucks a day. On the phone last Saturday to Mum, talking about forthcoming trip. Step Dad in the background fiddling about with his computer. All of a sudden he pipes up, there's an Fj for sale in town. Of course, I think he's been on the Sherry, but no, there is a 92 up for grabs in my home town.
Then follows a flurry of emails across the pond and as if by magic, I now own another Fj. I feel very blessed owning the first model run and the last model run on different continents. It has a kind of neatness about it.
Anyway, it was a bit of a leap of faith buying essentially blind on the web. Well, nearly blind. Obviously my 73 year old Mum isn't going to take it round the block. So, not much other option than to revert to the age old Fj buying guide of 'if it runs right, it is right.'
Stay tuned for more as the Isle of Man TT puzzles pieces fall into place.
life without a bike is just life

ZOA NOM

Oh man, seeing an FJ lap the TT would be sweet. Try to talk the helicopter into getting some good shots out in the countryside...
Rick

Current:
2010 Honda VFR1200 DCT (Full Auto!)
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
1987 Porsche 911 Carrera (Race)
1988 Porsche Carrera (Street)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1993 FJ1200ABS (RIP my collar bone)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca

Flynt

Quote from: andyoutandabout on March 05, 2018, 06:39:39 PM
Try this one.
So, in the planning stage of a trip to England this summer. New passport arrived ahead of time. Shocker.
Scored cheap flight, nice. Turn to think about mobility. Renting a bike seems very expensive to the tune of 200 bucks a day. On the phone last Saturday to Mum, talking about forthcoming trip. Step Dad in the background fiddling about with his computer. All of a sudden he pipes up, there's an Fj for sale in town. Of course, I think he's been on the Sherry, but no, there is a 92 up for grabs in my home town.
Then follows a flurry of emails across the pond and as if by magic, I now own another Fj. I feel very blessed owning the first model run and the last model run on different continents. It has a kind of neatness about it.
Anyway, it was a bit of a leap of faith buying essentially blind on the web. Well, nearly blind. Obviously my 73 year old Mum isn't going to take it round the block. So, not much other option than to revert to the age old Fj buying guide of 'if it runs right, it is right.'

... and with that an excellent story began!

Congratulations Andy!  Now who's going to get all the RPM stuff on it  and give it a good shakedown before you show up?  I have a good buddy in Birmingham that would probably help and is a very mechanically inclined rider.  Let me know if you want the connection.

Frank
There's plenty of time for sleep in the grave...

andyoutandabout

Frank, appreciate the wrenching offer, but I've largely got it covered by allowing two weeks to tinker before riding forth. One thing a do notice from the photographs is a missing left hand side engine bar, so if you know where an odd one of those is, I'm in the market.
Andy

racerrad8

Quote from: andyoutandabout on March 07, 2018, 02:23:51 PM
One thing a do notice from the photographs is a missing left hand side engine bar, so if you know where an odd one of those is, I'm in the market.
Andy

Andy, email me your specifics on where you'll be in the homeland.

Renntec is a UK based company. I might be able to pull a string and see if I can get you just the one side.

Let me know, Randy
Randy - RPM

PaulG

Quote from: andyoutandabout on March 05, 2018, 06:39:39 PM

Yes please. More more more. Was there in 1990 and wish I was back there a dozen times since. Nothing like it anywhere in the world.  :good:

Quote from: ZOA NOM on March 05, 2018, 07:21:13 PM
Oh man, seeing an FJ lap the TT would be sweet.

For a very brief time Yamaha did. As I recall the riders called it "a big lump".  Must have been exhausting muscling it around all those practice laps then 5 race laps at 37mi each.

https://goo.gl/images/rQPRmE The only evidence I can find on google to prove it.  :scratch_one-s_head:

Congrats on your purchase. Only three more continents to go and you'll have a royal flush.  :drinks:
1992 FJ1200 ABS
YouTube Channel Paul G

andyoutandabout

Here's an attempt at a few pictures. I know how we love our pictures. These were from the original advertisement, so they are not my work. I don't think they are super flattering, but you get the idea that it is in one piece and in need of a bit of TLC. I think it's a 3wx, so if that model owner has any nuggets of wisdom to pass on, then I'm ready to receive.

andyoutandabout

andyoutandabout

Ok I realize the photos were repeated. I blame this weird IPad Air thing that makes websites behave oddly. Well that's my excuse

andyoutandabout

I'm not so keen on the mirrors or screen, which is kinda fugly. I wonder how functional it is? It really is more tourer than tx1, which is sort of what I was looking for perhaps. Nice color though.

Country Joe

Andy,
The mirrors appear to be Emgo universal fit mirrors. I agree on the ugly, I have a pair of them stuck in a parts drawer in my shop. I have no idea why I kept them, other than me being a recovering pack rat. Put on a pair of Honda CBR 250, 600, or VFR 800 mirrors. They look much better and are long enough to actually be usable. They take a little modification of the holes in the mount to bolt to the FJ mounts. As far as the windscreen, it seems that the riders that have the finned screens love them. I find the 3XW more comfortable than the 3CV, I like the greater protection from the wider fairing. I'm sure it would be a very noticeable difference for someone familiar with the 1TX.
1993 FJ 1200

aviationfred

The FJowners club UK sell those mirrors through their site. I agree with you..... Butt Ugly....
Nice Krauser bag set up.

I have a set of Emgo Suzuki Bandit mirrors on mine. they work very well and look much better than the ones you have pictured.

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

andyoutandabout

Thanks for the mirror suggestions gentlemen.
Did those emgo bandit ones bolt straight on Fred?

Pat Conlon

I'm a fan of the oem Honda CBR mirrors. Superior glass = superior optics = superior mirror.

Emgo's are shit.
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

aviationfred

Quote from: andyoutandabout on March 08, 2018, 12:06:57 AM
Thanks for the mirror suggestions gentlemen.
Did those emgo bandit ones bolt straight on Fred?

The mirrors were on the bike when I purchased it. I do believe the bolt holes need to be slotted a bit like the Honda CBR mirrors.

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor