News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

1990 FJ12 Rebuild in Ireland

Started by Mypoorfudge, December 28, 2017, 10:00:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mypoorfudge

Any experts got a comment on my post above  (popcorn)

racerrad8

Quote from: Mypoorfudge on February 10, 2018, 03:07:21 PM
Am I close enough guys. ?

Sorry, I was at work when you posted the changes and then I forgot about it when I got back to the shop on Tuesday.

You are still at least one tooth off, maybe two.

The marks on the cam gears are for general reference, the hole visible through the cam caps are much more important.

You cannot allow the chain to become slack on the crank gear while installing the cams, or it will skip a tooth or two every time.

Once you get it right, the "T" will line up on the pick-up coil and the holes will be centered in the cam caps.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

Mypoorfudge

H Randy

No apologies necessary I dont expect you to be on call for my queries. I do however appreciate your advice.

I also work for myself and I know the time constraints involved.

Im back at it tomorrow and I will prioritise the the marks in the bearing caps.

I take on board what you said about the crank slipping on the chain as it happened to me a couple of times when I was trying to get it right.

On another note ...
On cylinders 2 3 and 4 the shims have gone from 270 to 260 and 275 to 265 consistently.

Shims are on the way to me.

Mypoorfudge

Back out to the shed today, Im  getting very good at this now, or Im getting worse.

I think I was one tooth out as Randy said above.

Photos below.

The timing mark is actually closer than it looks. The angle of my phone makes it look a small bit off.

Im happy with that. The marks on the sprockets are good as well.

Mypoorfudge

Just a couple of small queries regarding the cam chain tensioner.

THe haynes manual says that the tensioner should be out 35.5mm prior to putting it in to the engine.

Well my question was "Where is this 35.5mm measured from/to ??"

Somewhere along the way I managed to download a copy of the Clymer manual for the FJ. So I looked up what it said about the tensioner.

According to Clymer, the 35.5mm is measured from the main shoulder to the outer face of the rubber pad. Well as I found out and the more informed will know this does not work. The photo below shows the plunger in as far as it will go !.

Also the Clymer manual says that the ratchet faces up when inserted into the engine. The Haynes says it should be facing down .....

oldktmdude

Don't take any notice of the 35.5mm out measurement, push it all the way in and let the spring do the rest. The ratchet faces down, all the manuals have mistakes in them so if in doubt ask the question here.
   Regards, Pete.
1985 FJ1100 x2 (1 sold)
2009 TDM 900
1980 Kawasaki Z1R Mk11 (sold and still regretting it)
1979 Kawasaki Z650 (sold)
1985 Suzuki GSXR 400 x2 (next project)
2001 KTM 520 exc (sold)
2004 GasGas Ec300
1981 Honda CB 900 F (sold)
1989 Kawasaki GPX 600 Adventure

Pat Conlon

1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

Mypoorfudge

Thank you guys, thats an interesting read alright.

I suppose thats why the affectionate name for the Haynes Manuals here is "The Haynes book of Lies"

My Haynes manual came with the bike and is full marks and notes of all the mistakes in it.

The tensioner  is installed now and all is well.

Mypoorfudge

Good new guys. The FJ started and ran last night.

To say I was excited was an understatement. I was like a little boy after getting my dream present for Christmas  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Got sorted with a new battery

I got the acid in on Saturday and left it charge. Saturday evening I put it in the bike but nothing happened when I hit the start button.

A process of tracing wires started and I suspected the side stand switch but no it was ok.

So Sunday morning after doing some reading I took the front fairing off to expose all the relays and more of the wiring. Didnt take too long, started with the basics, tested the start switch and the cut out switch and cleaned the connector to the loom. It worked, she turned over.

Had no oil in the engine at that stage so filled it up and rigged up a temporary fuel tank. Turned it over again and it tried to fire a couple of times. Then I realised the floor was covered in petrol.

I found the leak at the inlet to the carb. Pissing out it was. Feck !

Got the carbs out then and haThe FJ started and ran last night.

I put a video of me screaming at it on the Whatsapp group. To say I was excited was an understatement. I was like a little boy after getting a Raleigh Chopper for christmas  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Joe sorted me out with a new battery - thank you Joe.

I got the acid in on Saturday and left it charge. Saturday evening I put it in the bike but nothing happened when I hit the start button.

A process of tracing wires started and I suspected the side stand switch but no it was ok.

So Sunday morning after doing some reading I took the front fairing off to expose all the relays and more of the wiring. Didnt take too long, started with the basics, tested the start switch and the cut out switch and cleaned the connector to the loom. It worked, she turned over.

Had no oil in the engine at that stage so filled it up and rigged up a temporary fuel tank. Turned it over again and it tried to fire a couple of times. Then I realised the floor was covered in petrol.

I found the leak at the inlet to the carb. Pissing out it was. Feck !

Got the carbs out then and had to leave it to go to mammys day dinner.

After the dinner I had to pull the left hand carb off and re-do the T piece fuel inlet. It took a good while to get the carbs back in, its a tight fit.

Carbs in, tighten everything and connect fuel. It fired after a few turns.

I was so feckin happy. THis engine hasn't run in nearly seven years and has had a lot of work done to it to get it back. It needs fettling obviously but it is running.

Happy days.d to leave it to go to mammys day dinner.

After the dinner I had to pull the left hand carb off and re-do the T piece fuel inlet. It took a good while to get the carbs back in, its a tight fit.

Carbs in, tighten everything and connect fuel. It fired after a few turns.

I was so feckin happy. THis engine hasn't run in nearly seven years and has had a lot of work done to it to get it back. It needs fettling obviously but it is running.

Happy days.

Mypoorfudge

I just want to add a word of thanks to the above.

This engine would not have run again without the help of Randy and other folks here.

Thank you for your help.

fj1289

Congrats on seeing it through and getting it running again!  Huge motivation to keep up the work and make your FJ the best it can be!

Mypoorfudge

Quote from: fj1289 on March 12, 2018, 10:53:18 PM
Congrats on seeing it through and getting it running again!  Huge motivation to keep up the work and make your FJ the best it can be!

Correct, now that it is running it is coming together very quick. It St Patricks weekend here this weekend with a holiday on Monday. If I keep at it I will have it on the road next week.