News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

1992 FJ1200 Sending Unit

Started by enbruchman, April 05, 2018, 07:09:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enbruchman

Looks like this is obsolete, does anyone know where to source a new(er) one and or a substitute part that may kind of work with some modification?  I think these were 'common" to the FJ Line as I have reviewed a couple of the 'fiche files.  I have already asked the RPM guys...they have the gasket but not the unit itself...

While there are a couple listed on Ebay they are in the EU and are too costly to ship from the UK to Chicago.

Also, my first picture post.  I think I did it right.  I uploaded to the myfiles section of the forum, which is viewable by all.  It seems that is a good place because it is hosted by the forum and not a 3rd party.  In older posts it seems that the pics go away when the link is lost, thereby losing a lot of the value of the post..is is my thinking right or do most load their pictures to a 3rd party and just do just do it that way..

enbruchman

Trying to add another attachment

Steve_in_Florida

I have one that looks worse than that, and I'm trying to refurbish it! (Good luck, right?) I'm trying to get a spare tank all set-up, completely.

Does the mechanism work? If so, it may still be usable.
`90 FJ-1200
`92 FJ-1200

IBA # 54823

RPM - Robert

Check out metal electrolysis cleaning, I have used this process on a few rusty old early 1900 cast iron skillets that my wife brings home from antique shows. They were a bit more rusted over than "antiques" when she brought them and now we use them daily. Electrolysis will take all the rust off and the rest would probably come clean with a good ultrasonic cleaning maybe a hot tank and scrub.

red

Quote from: RPM - Robert on April 06, 2018, 10:24:47 AMCheck out metal electrolysis cleaning, I have used this process on a few rusty old early 1900 cast iron skillets that my wife brings home from antique shows. They were a bit more rusted over than "antiques" when she brought them and now we use them daily. Electrolysis will take all the rust off and the rest would probably come clean with a good ultrasonic cleaning maybe a hot tank and scrub.
enbruchman,

Here you go, electrolytic cleaning/ rust removal, using a battery charger, washing soda, and a scrap electrode:

https://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/rust/electrolytic_derusting.htm

You can do it all in a plastic bucket or pan.
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

woodcreekpete

Quote from: red on April 06, 2018, 10:47:32 AM
Quote from: RPM - Robert on April 06, 2018, 10:24:47 AMCheck out metal electrolysis cleaning, I have used this process on a few rusty old early 1900 cast iron skillets that my wife brings home from antique shows. They were a bit more rusted over than "antiques" when she brought them and now we use them daily. Electrolysis will take all the rust off and the rest would probably come clean with a good ultrasonic cleaning maybe a hot tank and scrub.
enbruchman,

Here you go, electrolytic cleaning/ rust removal, using a battery charger, washing soda, and a scrap electrode:

https://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/rust/electrolytic_derusting.htm

Or, dunk it in a bucket of plain old vinegar. Works great, it's dirt cheap and it makes me want some fries

You can do it all in a plastic bucket or pan.