News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

April 2018: The List

Started by FJ1200W, April 10, 2018, 06:24:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

X-Ray

Nice work! Carb sych looks great, and my opinion, which means nothing as its your bike is the cans are *ever * so slighty long. To me just upsets the balanced look which again is purely personal preferance. But overall, she looks A1
'94 FJ1200 Wet Pale Brown
'93 FJ1200 Dark Violet/Silver
'84 FJ1100 Red/White

'91 FJ1200 Dark Violet/Silver ( Now Sold)
'92 FJ1200 Project/Resto Dark Violet/Silver (Now Sold)

For photos of my rear wheel swap, heres the link  https://www.flickr.com/gp/150032671@N02/62k3KZ

FJ1200W

Quote from: X-Ray on May 14, 2018, 05:15:49 AM
Nice work! Carb sych looks great, and my opinion, which means nothing as its your bike is the cans are *ever * so slighty long. To me just upsets the balanced look which again is purely personal preferance. But overall, she looks A1

The slip-ons are period correct, yes, it is official, we can say "times were different" and it's OK.

Sooner or later I'll stumble across an affordable alternative that offers some potential performance increase.

Until them, I'm diggin' the retro-ness of the muffs.......

Appreciate the feedback!
Steve
Columbia, Missouri
USA

FJ1200W

Quote from: Pat Conlon on May 13, 2018, 10:34:15 PM
Be careful with those Kerker cans. I lost one on my '92, the aluminum fatigue cracked and broke off right after the clamp. Luckily I was by myself with no other riders behind me.
A poor design with the weight of the can cantalevered like that.

Riding down a desert road, listening to my music, life is good...when all of a sudden GGGRRRAAAWWW.
I thought a helicopter was hovering above me....

Keep an eye on them.

Thanks for the heads up - so far, no problems.

I forgot how long I've owned the bike, but you know, I think it's calling me.......

Thanks Pat!
Steve
Columbia, Missouri
USA

Firehawk068

Quote from: FJ1200W on May 15, 2018, 03:08:47 PM
Quote from: Pat Conlon on May 13, 2018, 10:34:15 PM
Be careful with those Kerker cans. I lost one on my '92, the aluminum fatigue cracked and broke off right after the clamp. Luckily I was by myself with no other riders behind me.
A poor design with the weight of the can cantalevered like that.

Riding down a desert road, listening to my music, life is good...when all of a sudden GGGRRRAAAWWW.
I thought a helicopter was hovering above me....

Keep an eye on them.

Thanks for the heads up - so far, no problems.

I forgot how long I've owned the bike, but you know, I think it's calling me.......

Thanks Pat!

I also lost my original Kerker Muffler Can this exact same way.
It still resides somewhere down in the Black Canyon on Hwy-92................It cracked and snapped off just aft of the clamp..
Very poor design for hanger placement.
Alan H.
Denver, CO
'90 FJ1200

FJ1200W

The Buell footpegs are becoming a modification I wish I never made.

I can not get the brake pedal adjusted to a comfortable position, but I could live with that.

The shift lever, it is also becoming a total pain in my arse to get adjusted to a comfortable position -

And then there is the kickstand, might as well remove it!

Errrrrrrrrrrrrr

Or should it me ohmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Steve
Columbia, Missouri
USA

big r

I put some R6 pegs on mine and was able to adjust the brake pedal and shifter to work perfectly. I bought the pegs from a member( old age is creeping up cant remember his name) They made a big difference and dropped down about 3/4 of an inch. Really helped with the knees.

FJ1200W

Quote from: big r on May 19, 2018, 09:23:30 AM
I put some R6 pegs on mine and was able to adjust the brake pedal and shifter to work perfectly. I bought the pegs from a member( old age is creeping up cant remember his name) They made a big difference and dropped down about 3/4 of an inch. Really helped with the knees.

I can relate with the old age comment -

And that the lower pegs make the ride a lot easier on the knees.

I'm going to try and adjust the items again, they're close.

And the kickstand, I might epoxy a small washer in the stop.

Thanks and have a great weekend
Steve
Columbia, Missouri
USA

aviationfred

Here are a few photos of the Buell pegs on my FJ. Zero mods were done on the gear shift side. A bit of material removal was done on No the the foot peg and the rear brake lever for clearance and cowling issues.

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

aviationfred

I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

Pat Conlon

I had no problem with my Buell foot pegs. I have no center stand. I did have to press in some nylon bushings to reduce the diameter of the holes in the Buell pegs (look close) so to fit the bolts thru the FJ mounts. I also upgraded the rubber bushings on the mounts to the superior '91-93 rubber mounts. No vibes!
Best mod I've ever made for my 65 year old knees

1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

Mike Ramos

Quote from: FJ1200W on May 19, 2018, 08:53:07 AM
The Buell footpegs are becoming a modification I wish I never made.

I can not get the brake pedal adjusted to a comfortable position, but I could live with that.

The shift lever, it is also becoming a total pain in my arse to get adjusted to a comfortable position -

And then there is the kickstand, might as well remove it!

Errrrrrrrrrrrrr

Or should it me ohmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Although I do not have lowered foot pegs - (maybe later when I reach those older fellow's age!) - there are actually two adjustments possible; the first being moving the brake pedal & gear shift levers on the shaft's spline and then fine tune the lever position with the linkage itself.

Hopefully that will enable moving the levers to a convenient position.

Good luck!

Pat Conlon

Quote from: Mike Ramos on May 19, 2018, 11:27:24 PM
Although I do not have lowered foot pegs - (maybe later when I reach those older fellow's age!)

Uh, Mike, aren't your legs already kind of straight when sitting on your FJ....?
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

FJ1200W

The problem might be in my size 12+ foot.

I've re-adjusted the pedals, and it's better - but it seems I lost some distance between the footpeg and the end of the shift lever.

Anyone find a longer shift lever that fits? :D

Those are all non-issues at the moment. I proudly took my wife for a nice 80 mile ride yesterday, to show her how well I had the bike running.

A few miles from home, it developed a miss at low speeds, random. And I thought I smelled gas -

This morning, when I went into the detached garage, the bike puked most of its fuel - Glad I did not leave the air compressor on as the fuel puddled under it, would of made a loud bang when it kicked on, I'm sure......
Steve
Columbia, Missouri
USA

giantkiller

Be sure to check your oil. Mine filled the crankcase with gas. Twice. Then put a manual petcock on it.
86 fj1350r
86 fj1380t turbo drag toy (soon)
87 fj1200 865 miles crashed for parts
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
87 fzr750r Human Race teams world endurance champion
93 fzr600 Vance n hines ltd for sale
Custom chopper I built
Mini chopper I built for my daughter just like the big 1

FJ1200W

Quote from: giantkiller on May 21, 2018, 03:17:14 PM
Be sure to check your oil. Mine filled the crankcase with gas. Twice. Then put a manual petcock on it.

There was some but not a lot - hopefully the Amsoil can handle it, just changed the oil......

Pulled the carbs, the FJ is a great motorcycle to work on, so easy.

The only thing I found was one crimped fuel bowl overflow hose. I replaced them all with silicone hose, now I'm wondering about their ability to resist fuel......

Also found the fuel line from the pump to the carbs to be deteriorating, replaced it as well.

Test ride went fine, bike ran great, time will tell......

I'm thinking the couple of gallons of 110 octane "Turbo Blue" fuel did me no favors. I avoid alcohol tainted fuels, not sure what the race fuel may of had in it, it said it was alcohol free but it did contain lead, which should not of done anything to the seals......

Anyway, let me say it again, what a fantastic bike to work on!
Steve
Columbia, Missouri
USA