News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

April 2018: The List

Started by FJ1200W, April 10, 2018, 06:24:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FJ1200W

1st ride of the year today. Fit the alternate seat, did not try it out yet, see no reason to not like it.
Steve
Columbia, Missouri
USA

FJ1200W

Steve
Columbia, Missouri
USA

Tuned forks

1990 FJ1200-the reacher
1990 FZR 1000-crotch rocket

T Legg

I have the Corbin gunfighter seat on my bike.last week I left the seat out in the snow so it was wet,so took the stock seat of the new fj I just bought.Its the first time I've ridden with  stock seat.l love how it feels And the ability to  the move around.the seat feels like it weighs about three pounds,the Corbin seat is fairly heavy.
T Legg

FJ1200W

Steve
Columbia, Missouri
USA

FJ1200W

Pre-owned Yoshimura full system arrived.
The flanges were bent due to over tightening and have been bent back straight - The plan is to use spacers on the studs to keep them from bending in again.
Also performed some clean up in the merge collector - It is hard for me to say it's not the quality I expected. The merge seemed "sloppy" and mass produced.
Once merge cleanup is complete, it's off to Jet-Hot for internal and external coating. Est $225 plus shipping.
The clamp shown did not make it, one will be ordered, they're inexpensive.
I'll try and remove the quiet core as I'm not into quiet for this one. While removing the core, the packing will be inspected and replaced if needed.
Nice, allen head bolts in the canister rather than rivets.
Hopefully they'll come out without much drama.....
Steve
Columbia, Missouri
USA

FJ1200W

Final prep of the collector completed
Steve
Columbia, Missouri
USA

FJ1200W

Canister tip came off without much drama. Use of a proper allen head and breaker bar helped.
Steve
Columbia, Missouri
USA

FJ1200W

One allen head stripped and the extractors failed as well, they stripped it even more. So, I went old school. Located my old lucky drift and tap tap tapped away.
Steve
Columbia, Missouri
USA

FJ1200W

I am very impressed with the baffle, it's very nice. I need to debate of if I think it truly will flow enough or if mods are in order......
Steve
Columbia, Missouri
USA

racerrad8

Steve,

Do you have the horsepower and torque improvement numbers for that system over stock?

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

FJ1200W

Quote from: racerrad8 on March 10, 2019, 06:50:01 PM
Steve,

Do you have the horsepower and torque improvement numbers for that system over stock?

Randy - RPM

I could not find any specs on the system at all, it's like it never existed.

Probably going to need your help.

I have a 1314 motor I could use, with a nicely ported head, megacycle stage one cams and either the stock carbs (?) or I have a set of RS38's that I would need to re-convert from methanol. I will need to split the cases and put the starter back in. So I'll be needing gaskets/seals.

Regarding the carbs, would the RS38's be that dramatic of an improvement? If so, I need to find the old parts that were removed when the methanol conversion was done or buy them. Also, rebuilt them. I know the basic rebuild kit will run about $225? It appears when the methanol kit is installed in the 34 or 36 the slide is drilled, but not in the 38, or so I hope.

I believe the head also has oversize valves, I'll want to refresh it.
Steve
Columbia, Missouri
USA

T Legg

I have two 84 fj1100's both have four into one exhaust and pod filters.I assume both are stock internally but I've never had the top end apart on either of them.One of them has stock carburetors off an 86 fj1200,and the other has Mikuni RS-36 carburetors.There is no comparison between the two bikes .The one with the flat slides is much faster,it is quicker at low and high rpms.It keeps pulling harder and harder all the way through 9,500 rpms.The bike with the stock carbs is smooth and still has very good power but its no match for the one with the flatslides.This summer I am going to swap the flatslides over to the other bike just to see what effect it has on that bike.  The flatslides are very easy to tune except it is difficult if not impossible to adjust the idle air while the carbs are mounted,I've had to adjust the ones on the end the best I can then pull the carbs and adjust the inside air screws to match the outside ones i adjusted.It's not perfect but the bike runs great with them starts easliy in cold weather and is smooth throughout the rpm range. The motion pro throttle cables are much cheaper than the stock fj throttle cable set up.
T Legg

FJ1200W

Great info, thanks!

I'm assuming mine are 38's based on the number code on the side - anyone confirm?

T38
D19A
Steve
Columbia, Missouri
USA

RPM - Robert

The easier way to verify is to measure the bore at the intake manifold size which is the carb size.