News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

"New" Blue Dot Calipers

Started by PaulG, August 22, 2016, 04:57:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulG

I've just picked up a set of (new to me) 2001 R6 Blue Dots for my '92 ABS.  Did a quick test fit on one and they seem to line up ok.  Just a few questions re installation:

1.  Is an automatic rebuild in order?  I can squeeze the pistons open fairly easily using a screwdriver between the pads - and peed fluid on my driveway.   :rofl2: I'm just assuming that's what one would do - or is it ok to slap them on-bleed them-and see how they run?

2.  Toss the pads (and the hoses) that were included I'm assuming.  Will my stock OEM pads fit or do I need to get R6 pads?  If so OEM or aftermarket brand/type?  I'm probably in the range of 60% touring/10% commuting/30% attempted sportiness.

2.  I will be using my original stock M/C for now - the wrecker didn't have anything else available.  (He tossed most of them as they had corroded from sitting around.)  I have read here that one of the simpler changes is using an '01-'03 FZ1 or YZF600 14mm M/C.  I have steel braided lines on the front from the P.O.'s.   Until then would I be able to see/feel any significant difference?

We only have about 8 weeks of decent weather left for riding so I may wait for the off season to do the conversion.  It will give me some time to scout around for a M/C upgrade, then do it all at once.

1992 FJ1200 ABS
YouTube Channel Paul G

FJmonkey

Quote from: PaulG on August 22, 2016, 04:57:42 PM
1.  Is an automatic rebuild in order?  I can squeeze the pistons open fairly easily using a screwdriver between the pads - and peed fluid on my driveway.   :rofl2: I'm just assuming that's what one would do - or is it ok to slap them on-bleed them-and see how they run?

Flush them well since you don't know what brake fluid was used. The pistons seem to be free and willing to pee on your driveway.

2.  Toss the pads (and the hoses) that were included I'm assuming.  Will my stock OEM pads fit or do I need to get R6 pads?  If so OEM or aftermarket brand/type?  I'm probably in the range of 60% touring/10% commuting/30% attempted sportiness.

3.  I will be using my original stock M/C for now - the wrecker didn't have anything else available.  (He tossed most of them as they had corroded from sitting around.)  I have read here that one of the simpler changes is using an '01-'03 FZ1 or YZF600 14mm M/C.  I have steel braided lines on the front from the P.O.'s.   Until then would I be able to see/feel any significant difference?

I used the stock master but installed HH rated pads, braided lines and Arashi wave rotors. They bit really well and then a bit less once the pads and rotors bedded in. I am still using this set up. The lever feels stiffer but I know I can lock the front with two fingers.

We only have about 8 weeks of decent weather left for riding so I may wait for the off season to do the conversion.  It will give me some time to scout around for a M/C upgrade, then do it all at once.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

PaulG

QuoteFlush them well since you don't know what brake fluid was used. The pistons seem to be free and willing to pee on your driveway. ....

I used the stock master but installed HH rated pads, braided lines and Arashi wave rotors. They bit really well and then a bit less once the pads and rotors bedded in. I am still using this set up. The lever feels stiffer but I know I can lock the front with two fingers.

Thanks.  If that's the case, maybe I'll try to put them on sooner than later.  And fix that incontinent issue.   :empathy2:
1992 FJ1200 ABS
YouTube Channel Paul G

Bill_Rockoff

The pads visible in your photo seem like they have plenty of life left. Why not just use those? I'm pretty sure an R1's stock braking ability would be enough for an FJ....

Mine got substantially better when I replaced the FJ master cylinder with the 14mm master cylinder / adjustable lever that came with my blue dots. I can't remember what it's from, I think an FZ1.

Enjoy, it's a terrific upgrade.
Reg Pridmore yelled at me once

CutterBill

We only have about 8 weeks of decent weather left for riding...
And here in the High Desert, fall marks the beginning of riding season. We put our bikes away for the summer; not much fun to ride when it's 105-110F.
Never Slow Down, Never Grow Old.

Current Stable:                                                     
FJ1100                                              
FJ1200 (4)
1999 Yamaha WR400 (street-legal)
2015 Super Tenere
2002 Honda Goldwing

ribbert

Quote from: Bill_Rockoff on August 23, 2016, 05:35:20 AM

The pads visible in your photo seem like they have plenty of life left. Why not just use those? I'm pretty sure an R1's stock braking ability would be enough for an FJ....

My blue dots came with standard Toyo pads, it was a big step backwards from the stock brakes with EBC HH pads I had been running before.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

ribbert

Quote from: CutterBill on August 23, 2016, 05:59:22 AM
We only have about 8 weeks of decent weather left for riding...
And here in the High Desert, fall marks the beginning of riding season. We put our bikes away for the summer; not much fun to ride when it's 105-110F.

I'm with you Bill. Winter is my favourite riding time but I seem to be the only one in the State. I frequently ride 500-700km day trips on what would normally be popular bike roads and do not see a single bike all day (hardly any cars either)
The places I like to ride are crawling with vehicles over the warmer months and totally deserted in Winter, love it.

My gear keeps me dry and fog free all day in heavy rain and warm down to about 0 deg C.

Hot weather riding sucks.

Noel

"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

PaulG

Quote from: Bill_Rockoff on August 23, 2016, 05:35:20 AM
The pads visible in your photo seem like they have plenty of life left. Why not just use those? ...

Quote from: ribbert on August 23, 2016, 06:06:28 AM
My blue dots came with standard Toyo pads, it was a big step backwards from the stock brakes with EBC HH pads I had been running before.

Noel

Just took a pad out and they are labelled Sumitomo Toyo S20 GG, which I think are OEM from what I 've Googled.

The outer pads on on each caliper still have a useable amount of material, but both inner pads have substantially less; the left inner amost none.  So seeing that they are Toyos anyway I will defer to Noel's experience and toss them, regardless of wear.

In respect to the very uneven wear of outer vs. inner pad; is that a sign of an imminent caliper rebuild, or does anyone know if that is "normal" for an R6's brake wear?  (I'm guessing no.)  My stock brakes have never worn like that.  I mentioned the calipers were easy to pry open, but they weren't hooked up to anything to provide any resistance.

Thx for the input.

1992 FJ1200 ABS
YouTube Channel Paul G

FJmonkey

I have never had brake pads wear evenly. They are meant to float and help with even wear but one side seems to go faster. Keep them clean and lubed and inspect them often.

jscgdunn

Quote from: FJmonkey on August 23, 2016, 10:04:29 AM
I have never had brake pads wear evenly. They are meant to float and help with even wear but one side seems to go faster. Keep them clean and lubed and inspect them often.

Fixed it.....

Mark,

I have noticed the same wear on the inside.....would it be worth checking them and rotating them?
92 FJ1200 2008 ZX14 Forks, wheels, 2008 cbr 600 RR swingarm
92 FJ1200 2009 R1 Swinger, Forks, Wheels, 2013 CBR 1000 Shock
90 FJ 1200 (Son # 2), Stock
89 FJ 1200 Built from parts: (Brother bought it) mostly 92 parts inc. motor
84 FJ 1100 (Son #1), 89 forks wheels, blue spots

FJmonkey

Quote from: jscgdunn on August 23, 2016, 10:31:09 AM
Fixed it.....

Mark,

I have noticed the same wear on the inside.....would it be worth checking them and rotating them?
I have not rotated my pads before. Not for any specific reason other than leaving them where they have bedded in to the rotor (a matched machine like process). Once mated they will be predictable, move them around and they need to bed in again. When it comes to brakes I like them predictable. However, if I really need to keep going like on a trip and cannot get new pads I would swap them around to try and get more miles out of them.

homerfj1100

Mine, blue spots on FJ1100 with adaptors worked without a problem. I made up my own hoses, ss, banjo's etc.
Stopping now is just wonderful. 2 fingers easy peasy. So much more pleasant to ride. Good luck. Stick em on. Fresh fluid and all should be OK.
Tony

I've just picked up a set of (new to me) 2001 R6 Blue Dots for my '92 ABS.  Did a quick test fit on one and they seem to line up ok.  Just a few questions re installation:

2.  I will be using my original stock M/C for now - the wrecker didn't have anything else available.  (He tossed most of them as they had corroded from sitting around.)  I have read here that one of the simpler changes is using an '01-'03 FZ1 or YZF600 14mm M/C.  I have steel braided lines on the front from the P.O.'s.   Until then would I be able to see/feel any significant difference?

Homerfj1100

gumby302ho

I dont think number two was answered in this thread " Will my stock OEM pads fit or do I need to get R6 pads"????? Do you have the answer now Paul or anyone else? Thanks

RPM - Robert

The blue spots use a different brake pad. EBC HH pads are what we sell the most of for the blue spots.