News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Bike just won't start...

Started by Ryankhitt, April 12, 2018, 09:30:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryankhitt

I don't have one of those testers. When I did a spark test on the #2 and #3 spark plugs and wires there was a spark. However it wasn't as fast as I thought. It would spark every 5 seconds. Then I tried #1 and #4 and there was nothing at all. I can't find any corrosion. Wouldn't it just be a new wire assembly? Do coils really go out that often?

Ryankhitt

Have you tried swapping primary leads (plastic connectors) on the coils to see if it's just that side

[/quote]

How do I change those leads? I can't see a way to disconnect them.

Sparky84

They just unplug, then swap to check spark on the one you suspect is no good.
If you get spark then it's not your coil.
Also as Noel said check your voltage at these plugs.
Good luck

NOTE: Its the plug that plugs into this one you need to check for voltage

(Wish I had some of your coolness here. It's going to top 30℃ today again)
1984 FJ1100
1979 Kawasaki Z1300
1972 Honda CB750/4 K2

Ryankhitt

So I switched them... And the #4 fired... I hope this is it... I think I can just run down and grab some new ones in town at the auto store. I'll let you guys know if this is the problem. Pretty weird that #1 and #4 wire caps just happen to be the ones that went out... Coincidence?

Ryankhitt

I switched the plugs you were talking about. I didn't get spark on #2 and #3 this time... But I got spark on #1 and #4....... So... Crap... I have a bad coil. Is there any way to fix it? I can't afford a new one right now.

FJ_Hooligan

You installed a new pickup assembly.  Why not start there?

Ohm the pickups and see if there is any difference between the two.  Check for continuity

This was the original problem, verify it is fixed before assuming that it has magically jumped to something else.

I have a friend that calls me up whenever he has a problem with his bike.  My first question is: "What was the last thing you touched?"

Then: "Start with that and work backwards."
DavidR.

FJ_Hooligan

Quote from: Ryankhitt on April 13, 2018, 08:20:19 PM
I switched the plugs you were talking about. I didn't get spark on #2 and #3 this time... But I got spark on #1 and #4....... So... Crap... I have a bad coil. Is there any way to fix it? I can't afford a new one right now.

You need to work on your debugging logic.  If 1 and 4 are now firing, that means that coil is OK (meaning BOTH coils are fine).  So either the coil plug is not supplying power, or you're not getting a signal from the pickup
DavidR.

Sparky84

Quote from: Ryankhitt on April 13, 2018, 08:20:19 PM

You don't have to buy a new coil  :good: both are good.

Quote from: FJ_Hooligan on April 13, 2018, 08:24:42 PM
You installed a new pickup assembly.  Why not start there?

+ 1 on that.

Trace back to where the voltage should be coming from to the coils.
Its not the Fuel  :good:
Its not the Plugs  :good:
Its not the Coils  :good:

No Extra Costs so far, Just time and yours is a lot cheaper than someone you're going to pay to do exactly what you're doing

1984 FJ1100
1979 Kawasaki Z1300
1972 Honda CB750/4 K2

CutterBill

This kind of hit-or-miss parts replacement makes my head explode.  To the OP, you're willing spend $100 to replace the coils, but you aren't willing to spend $8 to buy a 12-volt test light?  That makes no sense to me.  Or... you can go to Harbor Freight and buy a digital VOM for the same price. Then you will be able to take actual voltage and resistance readings.  Did you know that Yamaha still sells the Factory Service Manual? It's about $80. Best money you will ever spend. Inside you will find a detailed step-by-step troubleshooting guide to figure out exactly why your bike won't start... without guessing and without throwing money away on some part that you don't need.  I don't get it...

Also, (because I haven't had breakfast yet and I'm cranky) replying to your comment that you "had to lay it over to avoid a guy..." I will offer you this:
"If the side of your bike has more friction than your tires, it might be time for some new rubber."

Bill
Never Slow Down, Never Grow Old.

Current Stable:                                                     
FJ1100                                              
FJ1200 (4)
1999 Yamaha WR400 (street-legal)
2015 Super Tenere
2002 Honda Goldwing

Pat Conlon

I agree with David and the others, it sounds to me like you have a wonky pick up coil. You bought them used, correct?

A continuity test light will tell you if you have a open circuit (broken wire, etc) but an ohm test will also tell you that, and importantly, the condition of the windings within the coils....something a test light won't do.

Get a multi tester, they're cheap..

Quote from: Pat Conlon on July 16, 2017, 02:11:57 PM

Ohm test your pick up coils at the plug connector to the ignition box. You should read between 149 to 182 ohms at 70* F for each coil. Take a hair dryer and warm up the coils for testing.

1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

Ryankhitt

Also, (because I haven't had breakfast yet and I'm cranky) replying to your comment that you "had to lay it over to avoid a guy..." I will offer you this:
"If the side of your bike has more friction than your tires, it might be time for some new rubber."

Bill
[/quote]

It was in eastern Oregon, where they use pumice pellets to melt snow and create traction for cars in snow. When the sun comes out it exposes little piles of pellets in intersections and the shoulder. When I avoided him I hit a pellet patch... My bike literally disappeared from beneath me... Strait to pavement... My back tire has probably 1500 miles on it.

Ryankhitt

It has to be a bad coil. If both #1 and #4 don't fire, then I switch the coil connectors and then both #2 and #3 are not firing... Why would I need a volt meter? Yes, I do intend to buy one. However, I can get coils that are tested on a coil tester (yes there is a machine for that) from a salvage yard for $50. I am kind of hurting for money and need my bike to get to a new job. You can't fuck up installing a pick-up base and rotor... Its fixed...There is only one way it can be installed. If the new coils don't work I promise ill buy a volt meter, and when I have an extra $80... I'll buy the manual

Pat Conlon

Quote from: Ryankhitt on April 14, 2018, 02:02:16 PM
It has to be a bad coil. If both #1 and #4 don't fire, then I switch the coil connectors and then both #2 and #3 are not firing...

Think about what you're saying. If you have a problem with #1/4 ignition coil and you switch coil connectors and the problem follows to #2/3 coil, why do you think the first coil is bad?

We are not saying your install is wrong (It's hard to get wrong) We are saying you could have a bad pick up coil that's not signaling the #1/4 ignition coil to fire.
Ohm test them.
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

Ryankhitt

Where do I test the pick-up coil at?

Ryankhitt

The pick-up coil was old but it came out of a just as old yamaha genuine box with manufacturers code and looked brand new.