News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Resurrecting my '92

Started by enbruchman, April 27, 2018, 07:47:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rlucas

Quote from: enbruchman on May 24, 2018, 08:03:27 AM

Next topic..Tires..I know, its been done and I have searched..a lot..on the topic.  My requirements are not that demanding, I'm an old guy who doesn't want to find a lightpole the wrong way.  I have been looking for a relatively inexpensive set of tires that has some grip and may last a couple of years with light riding. 

I'm a big fan of Shinko. I was running Shinko Podiums; at the last tire change I had Shinko Verge mounted. The Podiums wear better, the Verge is a little stickier. I also run Shinko 705s on the WeeStrom, and I've been very happy with them. Very reasonably priced. I'm an old guy, too, and not an aggressive rider by any means.

IIRC, Shinko bought Yokohama's patterns and tooling.
We're not a club. Clubs have rules. Pay dues. Wear hats and shit.

"Y'all might be faster than me, but you didn't have more fun than I did." Eric McClellan (RIP '15)

enbruchman

Update from the last few days..
RPM sent me the carbs back. 

Take a look at the finished product..notice the bad carb body and the hardware he removed...maybe I can make a desk ornament out of it..

He also sent 4 large O rings for the intake manifolds.  I wasnt sure why these were sent because I didnt take those off the engine. 
I found out why...aluminum corrosion is an issue take a look at the below photo at the oring and  notice the white powder why I am sure can affect leakage  and compromise the seal.  I can replace the seal and all will be well, at least with that little part.

Now on to my bigger issue.  Look at the intake on the cylinder 4 where there has been corrosion as well.  It is bad enough to flake the intake paint and leave a bumpy mess.  How do I clean that up?  I really dont want to take the heads off to do this job.  Can I leave it as is?  I dont want to do any sanding as there is no way I can make sure grit doe not get in the cylinder.  any help would be great!  As of now I have just blown it out with compressed air and a bunch of stuff came out back in my face of course..

My detailing is coming along nicely...still have a ways to go..and I have to order the tires and then on to the fork seals..

ribbert

Quote from: enbruchman on May 28, 2018, 06:37:02 PM

...Now on to my bigger issue.  Look at the intake on the cylinder 4 where there has been corrosion as well.  It is bad enough to flake the intake paint and leave a bumpy mess.  How do I clean that up? 

Others may have their own suggestions but if it was me, I would stuff a rag down the inlet port, scrub the corroded surface with a tooth brush and some solvent (kero, petrol, prepsol etc) to rid it of loose particles then use RTV just prior to assembly and tightening.

If the rubber intake boots show any cracking, I smear those (on the outside) with RTV as well.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

enbruchman

Another update to my project.  Things get in the way of progress..family, vacation, work, etc

When I was disassembling the battery box to clean it up after the mice infestation, I removed the rubber "plate2" from beneath the battery box and it began to crumble.  Since it is no longer available any longer I ordered a 12" x 12" 1/8" thick piece of rubber and traced the old out on the new.  Cut it out & install.  See below..

Here it is installed

Next install the battery box, rear tail assembly, rear trim pieces, intake manifold rubbers that were inspected for cracks and replaced with new Orings, and finally carb heat shield (where do all these wires go?).  Now its time to offer up the carbs for install, what a pain with the stock airbox, yes I like it stock.  Also not the most fun was connecting the crankcase breather & airbox drain tube.

Here are the carbs installed, I hop I did it correctly...

The only thing I am not sure about is the proper operation of the throttle return spring..the back one.  I had a hard time trying to connect the cable and it seems.."loose" with some slack toward wide open throttle but it looks like it pops back into place.

Review the video and see where the cable is a bit slack on the return.  Sorry for the jerky video.
https://youtu.be/BpAG6jvXGsk

Soon I will set up a temporary fuel tank and try to fire it up.  I hope RPM got the carb settings close.  Tuning the carbs is an unknown for me. 

enbruchman

Today's work was centered around the front wheel.  As I was taking it apart I found this..the plastic tab was broken on both sides.  Is there a fix out there for the front fender tab?

Also got my tires delivered from Revzilla...Shinko Radials, I think they will be more than adequate for a slow old guy.

I also was able to take out some of the slack in my carb cables by adjusting the cable at the top of the carbs.  I didn't want to make it too tight as it might affect idle and other settings.  There is just a small amount of slack as I release the throttle.