News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Broke chain, what now?

Started by ryanschoebel, April 28, 2018, 12:31:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ryanschoebel

I'm just hoping as far as this is going, that i can get it all back together when I'm done!! lmao, this should be interesting  :rofl2:
1985 FJ1100-- Atlas (SOLD)
1984 FJ1100-- Storm

Mike m

I admire your diligence to push forward with this repair most would walk away.I hope all turns out well.

ryanschoebel

Thanks mike, i appreciate that! but really, i only have it because of Pat. Ive never done something this intensive before, and didnt really think it could be done. ( at least by me). But he was able to convince me that it could be.

Another question that i have, once the tabs are welded back on, i wont have time to reassemble the carbs, tanks, electrics and everything as soon as its done. Is it unwise to do a "dry fire", with no carbs or tank on, just to test the starter, and see if the mounts can hold up? I mean, theres no way for it to start, nor would there likely be any oil in it. (But I can put oil in). Would it cause issues?
1984 FJ1100-- Storm

aviationfred

There should be no issues with using the starter to crank the engine with no carbs on. But, I advise filling the crank case with the appropriate amount of engine oil before attempting to have the starter crank the engine. Also, maybe do this in 2 steps. Remove the spark plugs on your first attempt. This gives next to no compression. If that all goes well, put the plugs in and do another attempt.

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

ryanschoebel

Quote from: aviationfred on May 03, 2018, 11:19:00 PM
There should be no issues with using the starter to crank the engine with no carbs on. But, I advise filling the crank case with the appropriate amount of engine oil before attempting to have the starter crank the engine. Also, maybe do this in 2 steps. Remove the spark plugs on your first attempt. This gives next to no compression. If that all goes well, put the plugs in and do another attempt.

Fred

Great Advice, thank you! If you dont mind my asking, why do it without the compression first? just out of curiosity
1984 FJ1100-- Storm

Mike m

Idk why Thier saying that.if the welds arent gonna hold I guess.they gotta hold with plugs in thats the only way it'll start.

fj1289

Quote from: Mike m on May 04, 2018, 04:59:26 PM
Idk why Thier saying that.if the welds arent gonna hold I guess.they gotta hold with plugs in thats the only way it'll start.

Again - giving advice to someone over the internet - I think it is ok to be a bit on the cautious side.  If I'm going to see if something is going to hold, I think working up to full load vice swinging for the fences on the first go isn't such a bad idea.  But, as always, if you are the one with skin in the game, you make the call. 

ryanschoebel

Quote from: fj1289 on May 04, 2018, 06:58:59 PM
Again - giving advice to someone over the internet - I think it is ok to be a bit on the cautious side.  If I'm going to see if something is going to hold, I think working up to full load vice swinging for the fences on the first go isn't such a bad idea.  But, as always, if you are the one with skin in the game, you make the call. 

No, the theory makes sense to me. I just dont quite understand how it lessens the load. either way, it seems to me like the starter will still be exerting the same force, thats all. Maybe its because there is no oil?
1984 FJ1100-- Storm

Mike m

Quote from: fj1289 on May 04, 2018, 06:58:59 PM
Quote from: Mike m on May 04, 2018, 04:59:26 PM

the biggest problem will be vibration as Thier isn't any other support for the starter.I hope all goes well we havent seen the actual damage so were guessing

Pat Conlon

Quote from: ryanschoebel on May 04, 2018, 07:05:18 PM
No, the theory makes sense to me. I just dont quite understand how it lessens the load. either way, it seems to me like the starter will still be exerting the same force, thats all. Maybe its because there is no oil?

Definately fill it with oil before you try the starter.

With the plugs out, the load on the starter will be much less because there will be no compression in the cylinders that the starter has to work against.
You will hear the difference when you spin that engine without the plugs in, then again with the plugs installed.
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

ryanschoebel

Okay, that makes sense. Thanks Pat. I'll update tomorrow evening with the results
1984 FJ1100-- Storm

ZOA NOM

I'm not sure I'd even worry about it if the guy is a tig welder. He probably has some welding experience. I've put down some pretty ugly mig welds on my race car that have held up just fine.
Rick

Current:
2010 Honda VFR1200 DCT (Full Auto!)
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
1987 Porsche 911 Carrera (Race)
1988 Porsche Carrera (Street)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1993 FJ1200ABS (RIP my collar bone)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca

ryanschoebel

Okay, so update time. Took the bike out to Glendale this morning, and spent a few hours getting the welding done. I gotta give it to the guy, he knew what he was doing, and did a great job. The welds are holding great, and i did turn the motor over a few times. Rookie mistake, i got almost everything put back together, started it up, and accidentally speared the cat. I forgot i didn't have the clutch together because i don't have the sprocket cover or chain on, and the push rod shot out.  :Facepalm: It was bad. Bar that, my chain came in today, now i just need to order sprockets, and once Pats chain tool gets here, i can hopefully get this thing back on the road! I really appreciate all of the advice and encouragement!
1984 FJ1100-- Storm

Pat Conlon

That's good news Ryan :good:

Spearing the cat is considered a FJ owner rite of passage. You are now initiated into the FJ brotherhood.

You got lucky with that broken chain. They've been known to crack engine cases, right Steve?

DID chain tool will be there on Tuesday.

Cheers  Pat
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

ryanschoebel

Update again! So, Pats chain tool came in today (not sure how, but not complaining!), and with a few youtube videos, and a little help from my brother to get enough force, i have a working bike again! I do however, have a few issues now.

For some reason, my throttle isnt springing back like it should ( but im figuring maybe grease the cable box?), my choke isnt turning like it should (bad cable routing?), and my shifter is now shifting really hard. Thoughts?  Also, i still need to change out the sprockets, i just wanted to see if there were going to be any other issues on the bike.

again, big thanks to Pat for the chain tool, and ill get that headed back to you when the post office opens up tomorrow. Its appreciated more than you know!
1984 FJ1100-- Storm