News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Recently purchased

Started by Mad FJ, May 10, 2018, 06:00:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mad FJ

Hey guys I just purchased a 87 fj1200. It's in exelent condition motor runs strong. 50k miles on it. One thing tho the clutch slips at about 7k.... curious to see if anyone had a similar issue and is it a quick fix replacing the clutch disk and plates.... also after riding for a while at idle a little top end noise. Not all the time but I just did a yamalube oil change. 10/40 as I saw some recommendations to use that particular weight. Any advise would help as I'm a new owner. Thanks in advance

Pat Conlon

Welcome Maddie, FJ's are noisey engines, still, you want to check your valve shim clearances.
You may have a couple loose ones (better than tight ones) Your oil is fine.

Slipping clutch on a FJ? Never heard of it....
http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=1808.msg14307#msg14307
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

FJmonkey

Welcome Jessie, is your 87' still in it's ambulance colors?
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Mad FJ

Quote from: FJmonkey on May 10, 2018, 07:43:28 PM
Welcome Jessie, is your 87' still in it's ambulance colors?

Mad FJ

FJmonkey

I can't wait to get my 86' fixed up, I really like the Red/White and Red/Silver colors. Ownership takes on a new meaning when you attend your first rally.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

dug844

Although I have not recently purchased my 1993 Fj, I did recently get it running again (brake light short) and now have a clutch issue. When the engine gets hot in stop and go traffic here in San Antonio, the clutch seems to slip when I rev the engine to accelerate. So I twist the throttle the engine revs up to 6-7k then the clutch starts to begins "releasing" to engage the motor. In steady highway cruising that does not happen. Since it's a heat related issue I'm thinking it might be "secondary" master cylinder issue, where the clutch line connects to the engine. Fluid level is good, does probably need to be changed, being over 5 years old. I do have a braided steel lines for the clutch. No problems like this ever before and I'm gentle with the clutch, no crazy stuff. Any ideas?

Mike 86 in San Dimas

Welcome Mad. The clutch, whether DIY or have it done, is not a major fix. Then you'll be good for a long time. I fixed my noisy engine with ear plugs  :pardon:. The bike runs so much better with them. Yeah these are just noisy, no coolant jackets to block the noise. What part of the world you from?
Mike

Mad FJ

I see thanks for the reply. Sorry it took so long to get back online. Always busy but ya I actually started using ear plugs, much quieter.

aviationfred

I have recently had similar issues with a slipping clutch. After bleeding the clutch multiple times, rebuilding the slave cylinder and replacing the clutch line, rebuilding the master cylinder and replacing the master cylinder diaphragm seal, I still had a slipping clutch after a week of riding. The solution was two fold. I found a slight nick in the aluminum where the master cylinder diaphragm seals. I can assume, letting a small amount of air in and over a weeks time, the clutch engagement point on the lever would creep out and lead to a slipping clutch. The fix.... I installed a Honda RC51 master cylinder. It has a 1/2" bore and the lever pull is effortless.

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

red

Quote from: Mad FJ on May 10, 2018, 06:00:39 PMHey guys I just purchased a 87 fj1200. It's in exelent condition motor runs strong. 50k miles on it. One thing tho the clutch slips at about 7k.... curious to see if anyone had a similar issue and is it a quick fix replacing the clutch disk and plates.... also after riding for a while at idle a little top end noise. Not all the time but I just did a yamalube oil change. 10/40 as I saw some recommendations to use that particular weight. Any advise would help as I'm a new owner. Thanks in advance
Mad FJ,

Welcome to the FJ sandbox.  If you can get your hands on the FJ shop manual, there is a minimum spec for the total thickness of the clutch pack.  One check, to say the clutch is done or good.  Yamalube should not cause any clutch problem such as slipping.  You can replace the clutch spring plate, or add a second clutch spring plate to the pack, if you want to take that approach.  A whole new aftermarket clutch pack is usually cheaper than replacing a number of individual plates, if your present clutch pack does not measure up.

A little noise may be the cam chain, or the starter chain.  The cam chain may need a new Cam Chain Tensioner, but neither case is likely with such a young motor.  The FJ engine is fairly noisy, so either track down your noise source, or enjoy it as is.  I run full synthetic oil, 20W-50, and mine is still a little noisy.  Run some SeaFoam through the gastank now and then, to keep all of the carbs clean.

Fun runnin'!
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

oldktmdude

Can somebody please explain to me how air in the clutch system can cause it to slip? The way I understand the clutch system, that would have the complete opposite effect. Air will not hold the pressure on the pressure plate, allowing slippage.
   Regards, Pete. :unknown:
1985 FJ1100 x2 (1 sold)
2009 TDM 900
1980 Kawasaki Z1R Mk11 (sold and still regretting it)
1979 Kawasaki Z650 (sold)
1985 Suzuki GSXR 400 x2 (next project)
2001 KTM 520 exc (sold)
2004 GasGas Ec300
1981 Honda CB 900 F (sold)
1989 Kawasaki GPX 600 Adventure

red

Quote from: oldktmdude on July 18, 2018, 11:42:54 PMCan somebody please explain to me how air in the clutch system can cause it to slip? The way I understand the clutch system, that would have the complete opposite effect. Air will not hold the pressure on the pressure plate, allowing slippage.
   Regards, Pete.
Pete,

Just guessing here, but I imagine that if there is air in the clutch hydraulics, and that air gets heated and expands, it could cause enough pressure to partially release the clutch.  Best bet: bleed the clutch system and see if things improve.  I saw a bleeder banjo bolt (~US$10~$15) for the top of the hydraulic lines.  That thing seems like it would be a great idea for the handlebar hydraulics, on both sides of the bike.  Locally, a good hydraulics hose shop may have them for you.
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

Motofun

The key to bleeding brakes or clutch is to get the master cylinder free of any air first.  It's messy but I just loosen the top banjo bolt at the master cylinder so it weeps.  I do the usual bleeding technique at the MC by pushing the banjo tight upon lever release to prevent air from getting sucked back in.  2 or 3 strokes and it's good to go on to the slaves (after re-tightening the top banjo, of course).  It's a bit messy so draping a wet towel underneath is recommended.
'69 Honda Trail 90
'75 Honda CB400F
'85 Yamaha RZ350
'85 Yamaha FJ1100
'89 Yamaha FJ1200
'09 Yamaha 125 Zuma
'09 Kawasaki KZ110 (grand kids)
'13 Suzuki GSXR 750 (track)
'14 Yamaha FZ-09
'18 Suzuki GSXR 1000R (track)
'23 Yamaha Tenere 7
SOLD: CBX,RZ500,Ninja 650,CB400F,V45 Sabre,CB700SC,R1

oldktmdude

Quote from: red on July 19, 2018, 12:18:43 AM
Quote from: oldktmdude on July 18, 2018, 11:42:54 PMCan somebody please explain to me how air in the clutch system can cause it to slip? The way I understand the clutch system, that would have the complete opposite effect. Air will not hold the pressure on the pressure plate, allowing slippage.
   Regards, Pete.
Pete,

Just guessing here, but I imagine that if there is air in the clutch hydraulics, and that air gets heated and expands, it could cause enough pressure to partially release the clutch.  Best bet: bleed the clutch system and see if things improve.  I saw a bleeder banjo bolt (~US$10~$15) for the top of the hydraulic lines.  That thing seems like it would be a great idea for the handlebar hydraulics, on both sides of the bike.  Locally, a good hydraulics hose shop may have them for you.
Red, I see where you are coming from, but if the air expands it should pressurise the system enough to expel the clutch fluid back though the port in the master cylinder. Maybe if the port was blocked it might have enough pressure to hold the pressure plate partially away from the clutch plates but this seems highly unlikely. (at least to me)
   Regards, Pete.
1985 FJ1100 x2 (1 sold)
2009 TDM 900
1980 Kawasaki Z1R Mk11 (sold and still regretting it)
1979 Kawasaki Z650 (sold)
1985 Suzuki GSXR 400 x2 (next project)
2001 KTM 520 exc (sold)
2004 GasGas Ec300
1981 Honda CB 900 F (sold)
1989 Kawasaki GPX 600 Adventure