News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

2nd Annual RPM Fall Rally. Oct 5th - 7th, 2018

Started by racerrad8, May 14, 2018, 09:57:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

racerrad8

I did not get any photos of the dinner table as the camera battery was charging, but it was ready in time for the annual campfire lighting & gathering.

Andy is getting ready to film the lighting for one of his awesome videos, while Pat is asking Ron..."How's my hair?"

Ryan is thinking, "God Damn, hurry up...It is down to 60* and I am getting cold". If you look closely, I think Ron is saying to Pat, "Not quite as good as mine right now..."

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

racerrad8

Just as the fire is about to be lit, Frank breaks out into song about the Ring of Fire.... :bomb:

As this happens, the youngster Ryan is cracking a smile while Ol' Ramos hasn't quite processed the song choice yet.

Joe is looking at Robert and thinking, "I am not sure what I am hearing but after watching Pat pick his nose, I'm not so sure about these guys" :rofl2:

Rick is just a little "quicker" than Mike as the smile has appeared...

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

racerrad8

Mike has finally gotten up to speed on Frank's lyric's and Rick is now clapping at the outstanding rendition.

Randy - RPM

Randy - RPM

racerrad8

As the fire roars to life, Ian yells over to Ryan, "This is how we stay warm up here".

He then tells Ryan, "Beer helps too".

Then the radiant glow and heat source have then fully entranced Ian & Pat.

Randy - RPM

Randy - RPM

racerrad8

As Ian is still fully at the mercy of the fire, Pat, Kjell and Ron's attention have been shifted over to Travis. Due to the roar of the fire, I couldn't hear what he was telling everyone, but by the hand gestures, I think he said..."Normally our fires are this big, but you crazy bastard build 'em big and use that thermite shit to get that shit started...WOW"

Kjell is thinking, "I think your right, these guy are crazy, but they can sure ride the FJ".

All Ryan his to say is, "I can feel the heat and check out my tan line".

Randy - RPM

Randy - RPM

racerrad8

As the night came to an end both figuratively and literally, all the bikes were brought in. Doug had already taken off as he had to get home for work on Sunday and Pat had already headed for the hotel.

Since Kjell drove over just for dinner and comradery, I let him sit on Pat's mistress for the group photo.

But one tradition I did not miss was the annual line up of the bikes and their owners.

This closed out Saturday night. :hang1:

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

racerrad8

Sunday morning was the beginning of the manshed day before guys headed off for home. We began with the installation of a RPM spin on oil filter on Travis's FJ. When we got to the top of the Little Dragon, Travis noticed oil on the left side of the bike & rear tire. While it makes great chain lube, it makes for a slippery tire...

A variety of things were attempted to stop the oil filter canister drain screw from  leaking. Plastic from a water bottle, a bigger screw and some other Rube Goldberg attempts. Finally We removed some strings from a rag Travis had in his tool kit. I paired up some of the thread and put it over the bolt & perpendicular to the threads. Travis then wrapped several rounds over string around that first thread. We pulled a washer from the front fender to trap the string under the washer to prevent it from just pushing out around the allen head. The string was able to bite into the stripped housing threads and allowed the screw to be tightened without any leakage.

After a few easy miles, Travis grabbed a handful of throttle and rode the rest of the ride at full tilt.

In about 15 minutes, we popped the RPM adapter on, screwed on the spin on filter and they were ready for their trip back home via Yosemite National Park.

Randy - RPM

Randy - RPM

racerrad8

The SoCal/Arizona contingent arrived and were soon headed off on their way home. As mentioned several times, props to Ryan for hoping on his FJ, riding around 1400 miles round trip just to attend. Then on the ride route, he was in shock at the roads & hills at the beginning, but by the end of the day he was much improved. I am not sure if he has fully gotten comfortable not being able to see the direction of the roadway as it curves around or goes over a mountain...

Here are Pat, Mark and Ryan heading out from the shop for home.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

racerrad8

Once they were on the way, We had a little work to do on Andy's bike and Frank needed to hook up his oil temp sending unit for his new digital dash.

We got Frank's bike done pretty fast with some experienced hands helping out... :wacko3:

As I was working on Andy's bike, I looked in on the RPM pod air filters. I asked him when the last time they were cleaned...? :dash1: That was followed by the answer of uncertainty.  :bad:

So, when I had the work done on the rear of his FJ, the filters were pulled. Look how much dirt on on the outside, the but look how clean the carb throats are. These filters work great, without question.

Then I thought as I was looking at the stock alternator plug, I wonder if that is burned internally...yep, it was just like all the others...

The air filters were cleaned & oiled, the alternator plug was replaced and the remote cylinder for his shock was once again secured to the bike and they were on the way home.

Once these two guys headed out, the RPM Fall Rally had come to a conclusion.

I know I had a great time, I hope everyone else did as well.

Randy - RPM

**Some interpretations and comments made in these post are purely fictional, but others are the full truth

Randy - RPM

Urban_Legend

Nice line up and photos. Although with the bike line up you guys need to pick up your game (lol) bikes to be in order of year of manufacture (here in Oz its down to year and month) and all bikes to be in a uniform position. Now we are just sounding anal  :biggrin: . Attending some of the US rallies is definitley on my bucket list, especiallt after the stories told by Richard and The General.

Mark
Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor
92 FJ 1200 - Project bike. Finished and sold.
84 FJ1100 - Project bike.

T Legg

T Legg

Urban_Legend

We have a few OCD people who organise these things.
Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor
92 FJ 1200 - Project bike. Finished and sold.
84 FJ1100 - Project bike.

andyoutandabout

Yet another great time had at the RPM fall rally.
It was just so glorious a celebration of all FJ ownership brings.
Thanks for organizing Randy and thanks to Yamaha for building (although we really have to thank Randy for that as well).
To further illustrate; Randy made contrast between last weeks FJ greatness and this weeks domestic chores. I'd like to be very smug and contrast last weeks rally marvelousness with this weeks trip round Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks. It was awesome.
The Fj keeps on giving.
Ride strong peeps.
life without a bike is just life

ZOA NOM

Quote from: andyoutandabout on October 15, 2018, 01:32:53 AM
Thanks for organizing Randy and thanks to Yamaha for building (although we really have to thank Randy for that as well).
To further illustrate; Randy made contrast between last weeks FJ greatness and this weeks domestic chores. I'd like to be very smug and contrast last weeks rally marvelousness with this weeks trip round Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks. It was awesome.
The Fj keeps on giving.
Ride strong peeps.

I can't believe you would post anything after those pods were exposed... Hide your head in shame, man.
Rick

Current:
2010 Honda VFR1200 DCT (Full Auto!)
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
1987 Porsche 911 Carrera (Race)
1988 Porsche Carrera (Street)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1993 FJ1200ABS (RIP my collar bone)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca

ryanschoebel

Quote from: ZOA NOM on October 15, 2018, 02:46:48 PM
Quote from: andyoutandabout on October 15, 2018, 01:32:53 AM
The Fj keeps on giving.
Ride strong peeps.

I can't believe you would post anything after those pods were exposed... Hide your head in shame, man.

:rofl: They were pretty bad  :rofl:  For sure though Andy, you should post some of the photos and videos that you took! I think they would be awesome to see!
1985 FJ1100-- Atlas (SOLD)
1984 FJ1100-- Storm