News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Valve Adjustment

Started by Scooterbob, April 06, 2010, 11:20:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scooterbob

Any pointers or tips for a first timer on the valve adjustment/check?  Done on cars before, but never on a bike.  :empathy3:

Searching didn't help.  Maybe someone can point me to an old post at least?  Thx

Bob G.
Do not argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

-----Bob G.-----

simi_ed

I found a pretty good post of how-to, on the UK XJR site.  It's post #18 in the thread <http://www.xjrog.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=666.15>.  Once you get past the British, it's a pretty good description of the job.  Some of the differences of the XJR vs. FJ become apparent, but they have the same motor, so how much diff can they be ...?
-- RKBA Regards,

Ed
===
Ed Thiele 
Simi Valley, CA -- I no longer have SoCal manners.
'89 FJ12C (Theft deterrent Silver/White)

- All that is necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for
enough good men to do nothing.

- Edmund Burke

Scooterbob

Agreed.  That's a pretty decent write up with good photos.  Thanks for the link.
Do not argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

-----Bob G.-----

junkyardroad

I drew a map of the top of the motor, basically a row of circles drawn around a 1' socket or something. Then for each valve I wrote down clearance, the shim thickness that came out (if required), the shim that went in, and the clearance after.  Handy to have a record to refer to.

Scooterbob

I'm guessing I will need the valve shim tool?  Anywhere recommended for purchase? Any other method or homemade device that can be fabricated?  Or is it possible to find a used tool somewhere?

-----Bob G.-----

simi_ed

Yup, you'll need the valve tool.  I don't think I'd try w/o it.  Perhaps Randy has the tool available.  I've seen a few on Fleabay, lately for ~$65US (OUCH!).  Don't know where else to find one.  Sorry.
-- RKBA Regards,

Ed
===
Ed Thiele 
Simi Valley, CA -- I no longer have SoCal manners.
'89 FJ12C (Theft deterrent Silver/White)

- All that is necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for
enough good men to do nothing.

- Edmund Burke

Scooterbob

That's what I figured.  Bummer.  I seen the Ebay one this morning too, for about $70.  Ouch indeed.

-----Bob G.-----

mz_rider

Quote from: Scooterbob on April 07, 2010, 07:52:37 AM
I'm guessing I will need the valve shim tool?  Anywhere recommended for purchase? Any other method or homemade device that can be fabricated?  Or is it possible to find a used tool somewhere?

Bob,

I made my own adjusting tool about 15 years ago and have been using it since. Just bent from sheet steel with a bit of trial & error on the shape.

Stuart (Glasgow, Scotland)

Scooterbob

I'm not brave enough to fabricate one sight unseen.  I can't afford for my daily driver to be sitting too long while I play with getting the right bend in it.  Maybe if I have another one in hand to copy, but not just making it out of the air.  I will continue to look for the tool, or a friend that might have one I can barrow.

-----Bob G.-----

dumpster

Quote from: Scooterbob on April 08, 2010, 08:39:24 AM
I'm not brave enough to fabricate one sight unseen.  I can't afford for my daily driver to be sitting too long while I play with getting the right bend in it.  Maybe if I have another one in hand to copy, but not just making it out of the air.  I will continue to look for the tool, or a friend that might have one I can barrow.
......there are some valeshim tools on ebay for about 70.00 bucks and i pretty sure they have the shims on there but shim can still be gotten at the dealer....if your not comfortable with doin that type of a job on your on your own pay the 175.00 bucks to have a good mechanic do it .....i wish i had done that with this transmisson.

Scooterbob

Quote from: Scooterbob on April 07, 2010, 09:53:01 AM
That's what I figured.  Bummer.  I seen the Ebay one this morning too, for about $70.  Ouch indeed.

That's already been gone over Dumpster.  Thanks.

-----Bob G.-----

Scooterbob

Quote from: dumpster on April 08, 2010, 08:51:19 AM
Quote from: Scooterbob on April 08, 2010, 08:39:24 AM
......if your not comfortable with doin that type of a job on your on your own pay the 175.00 bucks to have a good mechanic do it .....i wish i had done that with this transmisson.

I want to learn how to do these things myself.  I may just have to bite the bullet.

-----Bob G.-----

andyb

Pull the cams as you do it then, like it was shim under bucket.

Scooterbob

Quote from: andyb on April 08, 2010, 09:35:05 AM
Pull the cams as you do it then, like it was shim under bucket.

Please explain.  You lost me.

-----Bob G.-----

TRoy

Quote from: Scooterbob on April 08, 2010, 09:41:51 AM
Please explain.  You lost me.

....if you pull the cams then you don't need the valve-bucket-holder-downer-tool.

I have the tool, you can borrow it.... send me your mailing address.

...just don't make me send Ted down to Texas to pick it up  :sarcastic:
Peace & Love
86FJ 100K+
07Burg650
15Downtown300