News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Starter issues

Started by Urban_Legend, April 20, 2018, 06:09:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ribbert

Quote from: Urban_Legend on May 21, 2018, 02:53:39 AM
Randy
...very faint sparkles in the oil pan when I went in the sun....

It's just your bike living up to it's name.

Mark, if you've ever had a magnetic sump plug you will have noticed that when you wipe it there is always a fine deposit on it, almost like a course paste and then there's the aluminium.

Fine particle "glitter" is not unusual, particularly on bikes where everything runs in the same oil, even the clutch. The sun is magnified through the oil and reflects off the particles. The copper/brass colour often referred to is simply the oil colouring it.

IMO

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

Urban_Legend

My parts arrived from RPM yesterday. So now its time to really start on this job. I have my son staying with me for a few weeks, so I have decided that he can learn about bike maintenance. 1st photo is the bits that I need to install to hopefully fix this. Second is approximately where they have to go.

Mark
Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor
92 FJ 1200 - Project bike. Finished and sold.
84 FJ1100 - Project bike.

Urban_Legend

Hmmm. A little bit of crud on the inside.
Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor

Urban_Legend

Pulled the oil pump filter and there was a fair bit of debris in it. A lot is obviously excess sealant from the factory, but there are a few sizable metal shards in it too.
Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor

Urban_Legend

I think this is what's called progress. All bolts out in sequence. A light tap with the rubber mallet and apart she comes. Getting closer to fixing this thing
Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor

Urban_Legend

New clutch fingers and springs now installed along with new cush drive rubbers. Now to clean up the cases and put is all back together.
Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor

wainot-Phil

Congrats. ,,,,,,Great work Mark,,  You can do this Mate ,,,,  :good:
""Past Bikes""
Suzuki Stinger 125        
Honda 350/4
Kawasaki Z1000
Suzuki GS1000
Kawasaki GPZ900R
Yamaha FJ1100 84
Yamaha FJ1100 85
1991 FJ1200
1990 FJ1200  Pinky
2006 FJR1300
1980 GS850
Z500 /4
XJR1300
"""Present Bikes""": 
  1985 FJ1100
FJ1200  94
GSX1400

Urban_Legend

Hey. I need to finish this story with a happy ending. So please bear with me for a bit. Here is my run down for the last 3 days.....it has been huge.

On Saturday I had a mate offer to give me a hand with the motor. As already stated we split the cases and installed the new starter clutch parts. Assuming all was good, we put the motor back in the bike, wired her up, turned the key, pressed the button and....... Well let's just say I was not impressed.

Convinced we had missed something, pulled the motor again. Split the cases amd called it a night.

Sunday. We inspect our work. Toy with pulling bits out of the old 1100 motor...nah. This will work
Clean everything. Double check our work. Screw it together, reinstall (bench testing didn't occur to us at this stage). Wires connected. Hit the button. Arrrr. No improvement. In fact seemed worse. Cooked the starter solenoid, so resorted to straight power to the starter motor. 10pm by this stage.
Today. 8:30am start. New record. We had the motor out of the bike and cases split like an oyster in 90 minutes flat. Had the old 1100 split 30 mins later. Swapped into the 1200 the complete starter clutch set up from the 1100, excluding the new cush drive, which we kept for the 1200. Buttoned up the 1200 motor. Bench tested the starter with plugs out first, seemed good. Then plugs in. Still good.

Let's go for it. We had the motor back in the bike and ready to fire at 4pm. Fingers crossed.
Hit the go button (screwdriver across the solenoid terminals). 3 winds of the motor and we HAVE IGNITION. YYYYEEEESSSSS.
Time for a beer and some ACDC tunes. Quick run to the local bike shop, got a new starter solenoid. Install. Test fire. Bang. Instant success.
So quick round up. 3 days. Motor in and out 3 times. 4 times cases split and 3 times together (1100 still apart) I tired now. Need a ride as reward.

Thank you all for your help, and my mate who stuck it out for 3 days with me.

Mark
Thank you all for your advice.
Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor

fj1289

:yahoo:

Congrats!  Good on ya for sticking it out!