News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Shift Shaft Oil Leak

Started by Mike 86 in San Dimas, June 03, 2018, 08:01:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike 86 in San Dimas

The bike is running OK but I hate oil leaks. I suspect this drip is from the shift shaft opening. I was considering purchasing the seals and gaskets I might need prior to removing goodies to inspect and confirming... there not too pricey. Having not done this before, any pointers appreciated. My manual did not offer much help but will review again. Not sure if I need any special tools etc. Do I have to pull the shaft out? I imagine so. Looks like there are three seals in the line up, but maybe I only need to replace the one or two near the engine opening.

Missing the WCR  :empathy: Hope everyone is home safe and sound soon.  :drinks:

Mike

https://www.yamahapartsnation.com/oemparts/a/yam/500427c6f8700209bc788ae7/shift-shaft

red

Mike,

Before you tear into it, you might want to be sure that the fix will be the right fix.  Clean up any oil on or near that area, and lightly spray the area with aerosol body powder.  The powder will show the source of the oil leak soonest, before the oil gets to migrating all over.

HTH.   :yes: 
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

Mike 86 in San Dimas

racerrad8

Randy - RPM

Mike 86 in San Dimas

Hi Randy,
Me likey. Somehow I missed those on the RPM site. Can I change these out without pulling the shaft. Will I need some other gaskets too?
Thanks,
Mike

RPM - Robert

Quote from: Mike 86 in San Dimas on June 05, 2018, 07:45:15 PM
Hi Randy,
Me likey. Somehow I missed those on the RPM site. Can I change these out without pulling the shaft. Will I need some other gaskets too?
Thanks,
Mike

Mike, pops is away, so I'll answer.

It is just one seal and can be replaced after removing the snap ring.

Mike 86 in San Dimas

Thanks I will get my order in for this and some other goodies soon.
Really appreciate it!
Mike